Thread: New Orleans

Default New Orleans

Our AmEx British Airways points are piling up, and we're looking to use them to get us return flights to New Orleans.

May 2019 is looking most likely.

We'll miss the Mardi Gras festivals unfortunately, but otherwise it seems like a good time to go.

As a lover of jazz I've always wanted to get out to New Orleans so I'm really looking forward.

Anyone been to visit? Any must-sees? Any don't-dos?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I don't have anything to contribute to answer your questions (never been) other than to say have fun! New Orleans looks like an incredible city with wonderful cultures and I'd love to go one day too. Have a great time
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Make sure to apologize to your arteries in advance we're using our AmEx points to send my mum to Canada somewhere.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

1) Don't visit during hurricane season.

2) Do try to find off-beat venues for music and food that won't be found on social media or web links. (Locals keep secrets for good reasons!)

3) Be open to changing your itinerary after you've arrived, especially for hotel accommodations. Any penalty fee is probably worth it. (Many places are still rebuilding and dealing with mold mitigation, the kind of thing that won't show on their web site.)

4) Don't rent a car or buy a tour guide service. Instead, use a public bus or taxi. (Tourists can often get better info just by asking people riding the bus, or their taxi driver.)

5) Do spend some time at working wharves and seaports. That won't be on the tourist map, but it's worth it to see the seafood chain in action.

6) Travel light, pack small, be nimble and casual. (Don't worry about fancy dress clothes or shoes that weigh you down.)

7) Go beyond Bourbon Street and New Orleans proper. Explore the outer parishes, the boat docks, the small family diners, the neighborhood bars. That's where the flavor of New Orleans lives large....

Eat snoballs daily.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Is there any reason you wanna go/things you wanna experience besides Jazz?

Ever since I saw Disney's Princess and the Frog I've wanted to try gumbo in New Orleans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Same but for Witches Abroad.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."