Thread: Help Me Understand

Default Help Me Understand

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ce-hammer.html

"Piruz had been in the UK a matter of days when he launched the frenzied assault on the officers as they investigated a burglary in Crawley, West Sussex.

Days earlier he had assaulted a member of staff at Gatwick Airport – but was released onto the streets by local magistrates.

Piruz got into Britain despite being a convicted murderer in Holland. In June 2006, he murdered his Chinese female tenant by cutting off her head at a house in Almere, a city close to Amsterdam.

Court documents in Holland said he was ‘inspired by Taliban movies in which beheadings were seen’."

In 2006 he murdered a woman by cutting her head off and says he was inspired by the Taliban. Surely that means he's in prison for the rest of his life, right?

"Piruz was convicted of murder in August 2007 and sentenced to 12 years’ behind bars.

He was released in 2014, after serving seven years. As a permanent Dutch resident, the killer was allowed to travel freely across the EU."

What the flying fuck? This a sentence that only Khen could agree with. This guy MURDERS a woman by cutting her head off. And he serves 8 years in prison? Oh but hey he was rehabilitated right... no of course not. What the fuck Europe.

Personally I think murderers should spend the rest of their life behind bars (unless new evidence shows they were wrongly convicted) as an alternative to the death penalty. Other Europeans here seem to think that is barbaric and murderers should be released, but I don't get that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

What is it that you don't understand here? That his sentence was way too short? Because, that indeed appears to be the case. Though I doubt the Daily Mail had an easy time digging up the information surrounding this situation. Also, the newspaper gets some facts wrong; if this guy is merely a 'permanent resident' (equivalent to a Green Card holder) then he has no 'free access' to the UK on that basis. The UK is one of the few countries that opted out of that particular rule. That means the UK representation in the Netherlands didn't properly screen him before issuing a visa. What I find funny is that this article is kind of whiny about too little sharing of information between EU memberstates. After Brexit one can only expect the willingness to share information will decline significantly. So Brexit would make it easier for these types to get into the UK rather than harder.

A factual problem with the article is that there is no murder in the city of Almere in 2006 that fits the description.

The only manslaughter/murder case in Almere in 2006 is the stabbing in the street of 16 year old Curtis Schenker.
    Congratulations America

The issue here seems to be more with the parole board that released him rather than the initial sentence, although that too seemed unduly lenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    The issue here seems to be more with the parole board that released him rather than the initial sentence, although that too seemed unduly lenient.
    From the top of my head, 18 years was the maximum time limited sentence, after 2/3 of that time served release is still a near certainty. The alternative for the maximum time limited sentence was/is life in prison.

Sentencing has become significantly harder recently.
    Congratulations America

The default for taking another person's life should be a whole life sentence. Anything less than that should be exceptional and not the rule.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The default for taking another person's life should be a whole life sentence. Anything less than that should be exceptional and not the rule.
    Well, it's 30 now for lighter cases, and life in prison for the rest. So that fixes your problem.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    So I shoot someone in self-defense and get a life sentence?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Rand i'm sure is referring to murder. Self-defense is not.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 07-07-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Well, it's 30 now for lighter cases, and life in prison for the rest. So that fixes your problem.
    Indeed it does, much improved well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    No if it's self defence then that quite clearly falls under exceptional. Did this murderer decapitate someone in self defence or are you just engaging in absurd whatabouterism?

Indeed it does, much improved well done!

No if it's self defence then that quite clearly falls under exceptional. Did this murderer decapitate someone in self defence or are you just engaging in absurd whatabouterism?
    Well, that particular question remains open.
    Congratulations America

I'd be curious the sequence of events that leads up to a self defence decapitation.

Highlander excluded.

The murder took place in 2006 in Almere, the only case of manslaughter/murder in Almere in 2006 was a stabbing of a 16 y.o. boy.
    Congratulations America

The murder took place in 2006 in Almere, the only case of manslaughter/murder in Almere in 2006 was a stabbing of a 16 y.o. boy.
    You know multiple news outlets have reported this story, not sure what your foil hat thought you have right now is.

Really bad title, Lewk. You don't want help understanding anything when you've already made up your mind to "fry 'em", huh

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Really bad title, Lewk. You don't want help understanding anything when you've already made up your mind to "fry 'em", huh
    Sure but even people who are diametrically opposed to me should realize less than 10 years time served for decapitating a woman is absolutely insane.

https://uitspraken.rechtspraak.nl/in...LY:2007:BB2616
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    You know multiple news outlets have reported this story, not sure what your foil hat thought you have right now is.
    I have very little trust in British media reporting on anything and even less so on them reporting on events happening in the Netherlands. And then you were quoting the daily fail. But Flixy fixed the problem by posting the ruling. To me the sentence seems exceedingly lenient.
    Congratulations America

FYI I don't have moral objections against capital punishment.
    Congratulations America

FYI I don't have moral objections against capital punishment.
    Honestly while I think the DP has its uses I'd be OK with this guy being in prison for life without the possibility of parole. "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." And so far it seems like I was right, the only person on this board who would be OK with that prison sentence is Khen.