Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 58 of 58

Thread: CNN Maybe Put up a Photo of the Suspect? Or does that not fit your agenda...

  1. #31
    Resiste et Mords! Steely Glint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    You might find that Lewk's thesis is not my thesis.
    Hey, you appointed yourself his spokesman.
    It's getting closer now, the fear that we have held off for so long
    It's getting closer now to where we know there can be no return
    It's makes no sense to me, what has been set in motion here today
    It makes no sense anymore, was it too little, too late? Or too much too fast?

  2. #32
    Senior Member Enoch the Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,193
    He accepts your apology.

  3. #33
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,906
    Media is very narrative-focused, and this reflects a basic human fondness for narratives. That's not all that interesting. What is interesting is that a growing number of fuckwits are equating plausible and informative narratives with the warped fever-dreams that form the rancid body of far-right extremism. Perhaps all that anti-science indoctrination during childhood and adolescence have made their minds vulnerable.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  4. #34
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    That articles pointing out incidents of white racism, or perceived white racism don't bring in traffic, or somehow aren't news worthy here.
    That's not my thesis. My thesis is that CNN perfectly reasonably led on a story about a 91 year old being abused by reporting on the 91 year old being abused. The photo of a beaten up 91 year old is a more fitting photo at this stage than whatever mug shot of the suspect they might get.

    It was Lewk's thesis that CNN didn't provide a photo of the attacker (like they didn't report the race of the verbal attacker in my link) because of their race. I think that's garbage and they led with the photo of the victim as it was the more appropriate while simultaneously more shocking and more newsworthy image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Enoch the Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    That's not my thesis. My thesis is that CNN perfectly reasonably led on a story about a 91 year old being abused by reporting on the 91 year old being abused. The photo of a beaten up 91 year old is a more fitting photo at this stage than whatever mug shot of the suspect they might get.

    It was Lewk's thesis that CNN didn't provide a photo of the attacker (like they didn't report the race of the verbal attacker in my link) because of their race. I think that's garbage and they led with the photo of the victim as it was the more appropriate while simultaneously more shocking and more newsworthy image.
    I believe it more accurate to say CNN ran a story about racism that happened to involve a 91 year old victim. It's the same reason why you can find a story about a woman in her thirties being verbally accosted because she was wearing a shirt with a Puerto Rican flag on it on CNN and not these very similar stories.

  6. #36
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,953
    All of those three look like newsworthy stories and I wouldn't object or be surprised to see any of them being reported as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  7. #37
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,906
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    All of those three look like newsworthy stories and I wouldn't object or be surprised to see any of them being reported as is.
    That's because you live in a comparatively non-violent country with a population size a sixth of the US's.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  8. #38
    Senior Member Enoch the Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    All of those three look like newsworthy stories and I wouldn't object or be surprised to see any of them being reported as is.
    Whereas someone being mean to someone else for their choice of clothing would be?

  9. #39
    don't you think you're being slightly dishonest in describing an event that resulted in a man being arrested for assault and disorderly conduct, an officer being assigned desk duty for his indifference, and an official response from a governing body?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  10. #40
    Senior Member Enoch the Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    don't you think you're being slightly dishonest in describing an event that resulted in a man being arrested for assault and disorderly conduct, an officer being assigned desk duty for his indifference, and an official response from a governing body?
    As near as I can tell he was assigned to desk duty not because of a finding of indifference, but because that is what happens when an investigation is underway. What might not be shocking is the number of cases a police officer has to deal with each day that come from people saying hurtful things to each other. That, in most cases, is not a crime. It is also not, most of the time, national news.

    CNN does not typically act as a local police blotter.

  11. #41

    Chased out of the space she paid for, but its cool, he was just being mean

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    As near as I can tell he was assigned to desk duty not because of a finding of indifference, but because that is what happens when an investigation is underway.
    An investigation that was born from his indifference to the assault.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  12. #42
    Senior Member Enoch the Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post

    Chased out of the space she paid for, but its cool, he was just being mean



    An investigation that was born from his indifference to the assault.
    Again, this is the sort of thing that police deal with day in, day out. This kind of interaction, especially when people are intoxicated, is not exactly rare. On the ride-along I participated in there were two instances of something similar in one night, and it wasn't exactly a busy night. Neither resulted in an arrest.

    There was no assault on her - at least nothing evident from that video. The assault charge, as near as I can tell, stemmed from a different call, which is why the police officer was there in the first place.

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Again, this is the sort of thing that police deal with day in, day out. This kind of interaction, especially when people are intoxicated, is not exactly rare. On the ride-along I participated in there were two instances of something similar in one night, and it wasn't exactly a busy night. Neither resulted in an arrest.
    Must suck that the department is throwing him under the bus then, as they've already said his actions did not follow procedure. Hell, the police chief straight up said thats why he is behind a desk now.

    There was no assault on her - at least nothing evident from that video. The assault, as near as I can tell, was from a different call, which is why the police officer was there in the first place.
    Source? Assault doesn't have to be physical, and everything I've seen so far points to the charges being related to this incident. Even if the first officer, and later the female officer, where there for a different call.

    EDIT, receipts:

    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  14. #44
    Senior Member Enoch the Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Must suck that the department is throwing him under the bus then, as they've already said his actions did not follow procedure. Hell, the police chief straight up said thats why he is behind a desk now.

    Source? Assult doesn't have to be physical, and everythign I've seen so far points to the arrest being related to this incident.
    It seems very possible the officer did not follow department procedures, but the drunk man did not assault her.

    Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Source

    More police arrive and Irizarry says she still doesn't feel safe. The man resumes his abuse, saying: "You're not American, if you were American you wouldn't wear that. You know that right?"
    A female officerasks to see his ID and can be heard telling him that he's intoxicated, to which he replies, "Well that's your judgment." She explains that Irizarry has a permit and she warns him that he could be arrested "for not being compliant."
    "You don't come here harassing people," the officer continues. "People have just as much right to be here as you and when you're drunk, you don't belong here."

    The female officer then speaks with Irizarry, who gives her version of the incident and the officer explains that they were called to the area after a report that a man was choking a woman.

    Eventually the first officer on the scene takes notes of Irizarry's account of the incident and says that he was at the scene due to the separate incident, noting that she was not being attacked though acknowledging she felt threatened.

    Irizarry can be heard explaining to the officer that the incident began when they had asked the group the man was in if they could move as they had a permit for the area. She said the group politely complied but her Puerto Rico shirt appeared to act as a trigger to the man.
    In the full video you can hear the racist drunk guy talking with another man, (not the police officer) about hitting someone. The most she claims is that he was, "very close to me."

    Rude comments and pointing a finger are not assault, OG. Come on.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 07-11-2018 at 07:48 PM.

  15. #45
    check the edited in arrest report. the charge is directly related to the incident that made the news.

    He may well have a battery charge for the separate incident, but this was clearly assault as charged.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  16. #46
    Senior Member Enoch the Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,193
    Under Illinois law it might technically be considered assault - IANAL. I doubt those charges will stick, but I wouldn't cry if they did.

    How many similar instances to this have you seen on national news? Again, this is the kind of behavior typically reserved for local police blotters.

  17. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    this is the kind of behavior typically reserved for local police blotters.
    question:
    When is the first time CNN reported on this? And why would you say thats CNN playing with their police blotter, and not the idea that it took weeks to go viral (thus gaining its own justification for coverage)?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  18. #48
    Senior Member Enoch the Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    question:
    When is the first time CNN reported on this? And why would you say thats CNN playing with their police blotter, and not the idea that it took weeks to go viral (thus gaining its own justification for coverage)?
    I don't think your conclusion is necessarily different from my conclusion. If CNN didn't think they had an attention and revenue generating story, they likely wouldn't cover it. News as entertainment is nothing new. Racism is a predictably good way of generating outrage, attention, and revenue. That this video has gone viral is evidence enough of that.

    I am not saying that the Zionist Rothschild owned media conglomerates are pushing the racism angle in order to appease their liberal lizard masters - what I am saying is that media organizations are pushing stories about racism because they get attention, and attention positively impacts their bottom line. It is just a slightly different take on, "If it bleeds, it leads."

  19. #49
    I wouldn't exactly call it "pushing" when the article only gets written a month after the event because of its viral nature and naturally resulting questions for closure.

    This is more along the lines of you and lewk trying to find a way to make a square peg fit in a round hole.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  20. #50
    Senior Member Enoch the Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I wouldn't exactly call it "pushing" when the article only gets written a month after the event because of its viral nature and naturally resulting questions for closure.

    This is more along the lines of you and lewk trying to find a way to make a square peg fit in a round hole.
    It only came to their attention because it went viral, it only went viral because of the racism angle. Or do you really think that a minor dispute, handled by the police without violence, over a shirt at a public part naturally raises questions requiring closure? Look, this was a messed up situation, sure, but is it hard news? Hardly.

  21. #51
    real circular logic there. from news "pushes" racism stories to news "pushes" stories about the public sharing racism stories. maybe, and this might sound crazy, its just reactionary reporting!
    personally, i first found the story because of the stupidity, from the drunk man not understanding who owns puerto rico, to the officer allowing the assault. But I admit that could be due to me being in florida and the makeup of most of my social media friends being local.

    and now we're going to rant about mainstream news not being hard hitting news 24/7?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  22. #52
    Senior Member Enoch the Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    real circular logic there. from news "pushes" racism stories to news "pushes" stories about the public sharing racism stories.
    personally, i first found the story because of the stupidity, from the drunk man not understanding who owns puerto rico, to the officer allowing the assault.

    and now we're going to rant about mainstream news not being hard hitting news 24/7?
    A news organization has complete discretion over what they report. I certainly hadn't heard about this story until it blew up because of reporting by sources like CNN. I do not think a news organization that took itself seriously would have been derelict in their duty by not reporting this story, or deciding it wasn't within their scope of coverage. Then again, I don't consider the viral-ity of a story to be a factor in whether or not it is news. Also, I should note, the video being "viral," or having "X" number of views, shares, or likes, has not been reported in any of the articles I've read on the subject.

    I certainly wasn't meaning to rant, but I will confess that I do not particularly consider CNN, or any of the 24/7 media channels reporting on news to be sources for hard news. Entertainment, for some perhaps, current events, maybe, but not hard journalism.

  23. #53
    All Worship Ragnarök Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    I don't think your conclusion is necessarily different from my conclusion. If CNN didn't think they had an attention and revenue generating story, they likely wouldn't cover it. News as entertainment is nothing new. Racism is a predictably good way of generating outrage, attention, and revenue. That this video has gone viral is evidence enough of that.

    I am not saying that the Zionist Rothschild owned media conglomerates are pushing the racism angle in order to appease their liberal lizard masters - what I am saying is that media organizations are pushing stories about racism because they get attention, and attention positively impacts their bottom line. It is just a slightly different take on, "If it bleeds, it leads."
    Ignoring the fact that hate crimes are up nationally.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  24. #54
    Senior Member Enoch the Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Ignoring the fact that hate crimes are up nationally.
    That sounds like excellent and newsworthy information to publish. Maybe such an article could also talk about how only 10% of law enforcement agencies actually participate in providing data, or that 2018 so far has seen a decline in reported hate crimes.

  25. #55
    All Worship Ragnarök Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    That sounds like excellent and newsworthy information to publish. Maybe such an article could also talk about how only 10% of law enforcement agencies actually participate in providing data, or that 2018 so far has seen a decline in reported hate crimes.
    I could totally see police departments refusing to report data that makes them look good. I haven't seen any 2018 data.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  26. #56
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    That sounds like excellent and newsworthy information to publish. Maybe such an article could also talk about how only 10% of law enforcement agencies actually participate in providing data
    Thank you for the redundant reminder that hate crimes are dramatically underreported

    or that 2018 so far has seen a decline in reported hate crimes.
    Would follow a surge in reported hate crimes, if true.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  27. #57
    Senior Member Enoch the Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Thank you for the redundant reminder that hate crimes are dramatically underreported
    Any time. Now we can get back to really important breaking news, drunk racists are mean.

    Would follow a surge in reported hate crimes, if true.
    This is true. And?

  28. #58
    The officer that allowed the assault has resigned and the perp is now facing hate crimes.
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-off...ry?id=56536471

    So embarrassing to have shitty cops and such crimes being reported on.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •