Thread: The best lifehack

Default The best lifehack

Could've sworn we had a lifehack thread somewhere, but I can't find it, so here it is.

I frequently use various lifehacks that I can trace back to something I once read on the internet. There are probably hundreds of thousands of pages and videos out there with unreasonably large collections of lifehacks that will, allegedly, change your life. Many of these have indeed made my life a little easier, a little more pleasant and a little more interesting.

But today I realized which non-psychological lifehack is probably my favorite:

Use a rubber band or elastic band to get a better grip on a stripped screw, esp for getting it out. No other lifehack I use regularly has an equally satisfying and effective hate-neutralizing effect.

If you have any such favorite lifehacks, feel free to share
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Use a rubber band or elastic band to get a better grip on a stripped screw, esp for getting it out. No other lifehack I use regularly has an equally satisfying and effective hate-neutralizing effect.
    That is until you snap the head off. Then you're just fucked.

There's a lifehack for that too. It involves gin and radical acceptance.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Mineral oil. It can work like WD-40 or Vaseline, but since it isn't a petroleum distillate, it has more safe applications: sharpens knives (with a whet stone), loosens food jar seals, lubricates rubber tracks, removes tacky glue residue, moisturizes wood utensils, is good for dry skin, even serves as a constipation remedy when ingested orally. (It also has abortive potential when ingested in large doses.)

I've had a hard time finding mineral oil lately but it's always been a reliable "hack".

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Mineral oil. It can work like WD-40 or Vaseline, but since it isn't a petroleum distillate, it has more safe applications:
    Uhh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

Mineral oil is any of various colorless, odorless, light mixtures of higher alkanes from a mineral source, particularly a distillate of petroleum.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Good link, turns out it has even more uses! I used the term 'petroleum distillate' improperly so thanks for the correction.

Olive oil is a pretty good hack, too.