Thread: Affluence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Try having 9 brothers and sisters all growing up in the same environment and turning out vastly different. One does not actually have to have children to observe raising them either. I also notice that you didn't ask the question to people whose answers you liked.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Try having 9 brothers and sisters all growing up in the same environment and turning out vastly different. One does not actually have to have children to observe raising them either. I also notice that you didn't ask the question to people whose answers you liked.
    1. But it isn't the same environment, is it? Environment changes as family dynamics change. Regardless, that's not the point. We all know that the interaction between innate qualities of a person and their environment is complex, and that parents can only control a small sliver of those factors. But the specific issues I'm trying to address here arise from environment, so I think it's reasonable to think that environmental changes might be able to mitigate these issues.

2. Of course you don't need to be a parent to make a useful and thoughtful contribution to the discussion; parents don't necessarily know any better than anyone else, they just happened to procreate and are figuring it out as they go along. But you made a sweeping generalization and I thought some sort of evidence or experience (other than, 'lots of people turn out bad') might support your claim.

3. I didn't ask OG or Enoch because they actually gave an answer (albeit ones that I had reservations about). I could then engage them in a discussion. You didn't bother answering the question, just made a snarky comment that it's a hopeless quest. If you had actually engaged with the topic, I would gladly have discussed it with you, whether or not I liked your take on it.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    1. But it isn't the same environment, is it? Environment changes as family dynamics change. Regardless, that's not the point. We all know that the interaction between innate qualities of a person and their environment is complex, and that parents can only control a small sliver of those factors. But the specific issues I'm trying to address here arise from environment, so I think it's reasonable to think that environmental changes might be able to mitigate these issues.
    I might be just similarly cynical as Hazir but this might very well be quite Quixotic what you're trying to do there. I'm not sure how you want to control your environment when you continue to live in it. The only way to do that is to actually physically move somewhere else.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?