Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bannon in Europe

Default Bannon in Europe

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside...-the-far-right

F#%$ off you racist piece of $#!¥
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Talking to yourself again Randy ?
    Congratulations America

What have I ever done or supported that is racist? I want everyone to be treated the same regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, continent or anything else.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Bannon and the Mercers found their way into Europe through the UK.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

So Le Pen etc (specifically mentioned in the article) had nothing to do with it?

Turn your blinkers off.

I get that it's fun to wail on the Brits: we drive on the left and didn't get the Euro and Brexit and stuff like that, and our flag isn't even a tricolour knock-off.

But the reality is that many countries in Europe have a far right problem that is at least as bad as ours, if not worse. If 200+ dead children on Utøya isn't proof of that then I don't know what is.

If you want to see the consequences of complacency and pretending 'it can't happen here', then just look at America.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    What have I ever done or supported that is racist? I want everyone to be treated the same regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, continent or anything else.
    "I know the instant I hear their accent that they're thieves and troublemakers"
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

So Le Pen etc (specifically mentioned in the article) had nothing to do with it?

Turn your blinkers off.
    In that same paragraph they also mention Farage. We know Bannon met with JRM and another Tory MP. His company Breitbart has had a higher profile in the UK these past few years and his patrons the Mercers were actively promoting Brexit. Bannon would've been a nobody with no capital in Europe, were it not for the fact that he's associated with the nativists' greatest victories in recent memory, namely Brexit and Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    But the reality is that many countries in Europe have a far right problem that is at least as bad as ours, if not worse. If 200+ dead children on Utøya isn't proof of that then I don't know what is.
    The Utöya and Oslo attacks claimed 77 lives. The 200+ figure is for non-fatal injuries.

If you want to see the consequences of complacency and pretending 'it can't happen here'
    Nobody's doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    "I know the instant I hear their accent that they're thieves and troublemakers"
    That's NOT what I said!

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    It's an apt summary, though.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

If there's any truth in that I've just lost all remaining respect for Boris.

You still had respect for Boris prior to reading that?

Some.

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    You still had respect for Boris prior to reading that?
    I decided to let RB's astonishing statement speak for itself.

Indeed its extremely disappointing, Boris has always been vocally from the liberal wing of the Party, pro immigration. Unlike the nasty Remainer at top now who has long been anti-immigrant.

Indeed its extremely disappointing, Boris has always been vocally from the liberal wing of the Party, pro immigration. Unlike the nasty Remainer at top now who has long been anti-immigrant.
    Boris has always been a racist liar with no principles. Your remarks only speak toward your own naïveté.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I decided to let RB's astonishing statement speak for itself.
    I should let it go but he fascinates me. I want to scoop out his brain and do tests on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    I should let it go but he fascinates me. I want to scoop out his brain and do tests on it.
    No great mystery though. Boris is the kind of man that RB likes, and we know from previous discussions that RB is simply not very good at recognizing racism, in the UK or elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Boris has always been a racist liar with no principles. Your remarks only speak toward your own naïveté.
    [Citation Needed]

Boris Johnson has a singular talent: even when he's right, he's wrong.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...iculous-still/

How is he wrong there? Are you saying we should ban it?

The issue is the manner in which he's made the argument. It's childish and irresponsible.

We need to hold the leaders of our nation to a higher standard of decency. He should be positioning his argument to be more inspiring, positive and influential; expressing the positives and aiming to persuade Muslims that it isn't necessary. Not pathetic attempts at humour like this that serve only to alienate people further and cause more division.

It's basic leadership, and he continues to fail and embarrass at every opportunity he's ever been given.

What's childish about it? Talking about Danes being nude? While giggling at nudity may normally be a childish matter he was not doing that and the contrast between tolerating that and not tolerating the burka, as despicable as we may find it, is a good one.

He seems to be addressing a serious issue, what was funny?

Trying to shut down conversations on serious topics leaving them only to the two extremes is irresponsible. Responsible people need to grasp the nettle otherwise the calls for us to join other liberal European nations in illiberally banning it are only going to escalate.

What's childish about it?
    Saying Muslims that wear burqas look like "letter boxes" and "bank robbers". I expect more from the leaders of our nation. Don't you? Or is this where the bar is now?

Do you honestly think somebody wearing a burqa is somehow going to change their mind after reading that? Are they really going to think "Oh shit! OMG, I look like a letter box. LMAO, thanks Boris!". No, it's going to make the issue worse, because it'll piss off a proportion of the Muslim community and inflame the ignorant/intolerant/racist.

He seems to be addressing a serious issue, what was funny?
    I didn't say there was anything funny about it; although it's clear he tried to inject some humour into it with those remarks.

Trying to shut down conversations on serious topics leaving them only to the two extremes is irresponsible. Responsible people need to grasp the nettle otherwise the calls for us to join other liberal European nations in illiberally banning it are only going to escalate.
    Who's trying to shut the conversation down?
    Last edited by gogobongopop; 08-06-2018 at 03:29 PM.

They do look like that. It is alien, unnatural, deeply sexist, morally repugnant and their choice.

If people want to wear that nonsense in public then we are one of an increasingly small number of liberal European nations that tolerate such illiberal garb. Why should we not speak honestly about how it looks? It's not a joke to say they look like that, they do.

I don't think it was aimed at people wearing burqas do you?

It's not just racists that have an issue with the burqa which is why so many liberal European democracies have banned it. It is illiberal, dehumanising and oppressive sexist garb that camouflages somebody in public so they can't be seen. Why shouldn't we say they look like bank robbers when they do?

Letter boxes was wryly amusing in a sad way but an apt analogy.

They do look like that. It is alien, unnatural.
    Oh I see. Alien and unnatural. So we can start calling people who wear turbans 'towel-heads' now, right?

If people want to wear that nonsense in public then we are one of an increasingly small number of liberal European nations that tolerate such illiberal garb. Why should we not speak honestly about how it looks? It's not a joke to say they look like that, they do.
    I don't want people to wear them; but that's not my point. My point is the manner in which an MP, a leader and representative of our nation, has tried to lead this argument. It's secondary school stuff.

Letter boxes was wryly amusing in a sad way but an apt analogy.
    It's pathetic and a desperate attempt to get back into the limelight.

No we can't refer to turbans as that any more than we can refer to hijabs as that. They're not the same thing and not remotely in the same league. Are we speaking in a context of Denmark, France and many other neighbouring liberal European democracies having banned the turban? No we are not. The turban does not dehumanise and hide the person wearing it. The burqa does.

The hijab is what is comparable to the turban not the burqa or niqab. Do you understand the difference?

No we can't refer to turbans as that any more than we can refer to hijabs as that. They're not the same thing and not remotely in the same league. Are we speaking in a context of Denmark, France and many other neighbouring liberal European democracies having banned the turban? No we are not. The turban does not dehumanise and hide the person wearing it. The burqa does.
    But it's alien and unnatural.

The hijab is what is comparable to the turban not the burqa or niqab. Do you understand the difference?
    Yes, RandBlade - I do understand the difference, and as I've said - I rather people didn't wear burqas.

What I'm trying to understand from you is why you think it's perfectly acceptable for a leader of our nation to attempt to lead an argument in this way. You wouldn't expect a business leader act in this way, so why a politician?

You've said it's not acceptable for certain things - so please explain to me what the criteria are that make it acceptable for our MPs to name call, point and laugh at citizens of our country.

Please, I'm all ears.