Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Africa - do you learn from the past?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Both.
    Then please concede points re. the former before moving on to making trivial points about the latter.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Already have done though I don't consider incitement to violence and murder by a leading politician to be trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Already have done though I don't consider incitement to violence and murder by a leading politician to be trivial.
    Malema did not call for genocide in that interview; in his interview he clearly states that he would not support such a thing. That a black South African nationalist hardliner would subscribe to conspiracy theories about South African Jews, given history of both antisemitism and anti-Israeli sentiment in South Africa, is an utterly trivial observation. Antisemitism and conspiratorial thinking are not surprising, in these groups.

You're kidding right?

He's tredding the line carefully with a nudge and a wink saying he won't call for genocide "for now." This is a man with a history of hate crimes, convictions for it and was thrown out of the ANC after being convicted for singing "shoot the Boer". But that's all trivial?

But at least it's "only" antisemitism which is trivial and unsurprising.

https://citizen.co.za/news/south-afr...-farm-murders/
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I see now that you didn't read the article I posted, the one with the full quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I see now that you didn't read the article I posted, the one with the full quote.
    I'm confused - if Trump said something similar, would you be bending over backwards to try and give him the benefit of the doubt?

Further, if under Trump there were killings/attacks on minorities, I'm fairly certain you, or others on this board have held him rightfully accountable because of the tone his presidency has set. I seem to recall statistics about the number of hate crimes while Trump has been in office being bandied about fairly liberally. Why would that not also hold true in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    I'm confused - if Trump said something similar, would you be bending over backwards to try and give him the benefit of the doubt?
    I'm not trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'm saying the quote cannot be used to support the claim being made when you consider the full quote. Trump's quotes are sometimes taken out of context in such a way that they can't be regarded as informative, at least not about the subject matter. Perhaps more common for purported conservatives who aren't Trump.

Background from two of the best people on Twitter:

https://www.adl.org/blog/the-racist-...white-genocide

There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I'm not trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'm saying the quote cannot be used to support the claim being made when you consider the full quote.
    Yes it can, especially if you take into account his track record which was too bad even for the ANC to accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    No one cares what white nationalists want. They can fuck off the same way black nationalists can.

That's all good and we'll, but you stirred up the hornets' nest by starting a thread with their talking point. There are people whose land was stolen. And not stolen in a metaphysical way like America was stolen from the natives way, but in a get the fuck out of this place, we're taking it over way . After which bulldozers erase every sign your home was ever there.

Actually, in line with hundreds of your posts a lot of those farmers deserved to die a long time ago already.
    Congratulations America

(deleted)
    Last edited by Hazir; 08-25-2018 at 06:23 AM.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    No one cares what white nationalists want. They can fuck off the same way black nationalists can.
    and yet here you are, doing their work.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    No one cares what white nationalists want.
    Sure they do. They become legislators and governors and senior gift officials. They have shows on Fox that are watched and endorsed by millions. You vote for them and watch them on TV. You likely share their articles, when you feel you can get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    and yet here you are, doing their work.
    That's like saying if we kill a criminal cartel member we are doing the work for their rival cartel. Don't be absurd.

Do you think what the South African government is trying to do is good or bad? Do you think what Zimbabwe did was good or bad? How did you like the results?

If we are killing people extrajudicially then we are.

Your claim would stand if you wrote: That's like saying if we killarrest a criminal cartel member we are doing the work for their rival cartel. Don't be absurd.

Incidentally though it's getting off topic, corrupt cops killing rival gang members has absolutely been a major problem in the past. Which is why an extrajudicial killing should NEVER be celebrated even if it's a bad person it should be a last resort only.

Incidentally though it's getting off topic, corrupt cops killing rival gang members has absolutely been a major problem in the past. Which is why an extrajudicial killing should NEVER be celebrated even if it's a bad person it should be a last resort only.
    It depends. For American citizens the bar needs to be very high but there are times when the police just need to take someone out, such as the Dallas sniper. Non-lethal options were not an option without losing more police.

In nacro-states like Mexico where the gangs are literally killing politicians in terror attacks I have sympathy for straight out assassination. Terrorism is terrorism and terrorists deserve drone strikes to the face.

If you need to take someone out then that's a last resort. It's still a tragedy. It shouldn't be celebrated.