Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: “It’s so secure here. The Police Department is a block away.”

  1. #1
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,939

    Default “It’s so secure here. The Police Department is a block away.”

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/09/u...-shooting.html

    I can understand the manslaughter charge, but letting her go home? I dunno. Were there any tests taken, for alcohol and narcotics?
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  2. #2
    Under pressure Wraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,484
    Not specific to this case, but in general I wish people wouldn't jump to conclusions on cases as soon as they hear about them. It locks you into a viewpoint, and at that point all the relevant details are almost never known.

    About letting her go home, there are several considerations that might have been at play: cops do not do well in jail, or even in holding, and it would have been a massive professional embarrassment that would have interfered with her ability to do her job if they decided not to press charges, which they probably didn't know about and shouldn't have known right away. People always forget that the system is supposed​ to presume innocence. Sending her away may have also not really been about her at all, but about getting her out of the way so she didn't contaminate the crime scene, and to ensure her presence didn't distract/bias the investigators who probably knew her at some level. Since she essentially reported her own crime and turned herself in, it would have been safe to assume she wasn't a flight risk, and that seems to have been borne out. Given these things, and of course the details of the situation that neither you nor I have guessed at, this could have been a perfectly reasonable course of action.

    She probably should have been checked for intoxication at some point though, assuming she wasn't. It may not be material, though. It doesn't seem like the facts of the case are under dispute.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Not specific to this case, but in general I wish people wouldn't jump to conclusions on cases as soon as they hear about them. It locks you into a viewpoint, and at that point all the relevant details are almost never known.

    About letting her go home, there are several considerations that might have been at play: cops do not do well in jail, or even in holding, and it would have been a massive professional embarrassment that would have interfered with her ability to do her job if they decided not to press charges, which they probably didn't know about and shouldn't have known right away. People always forget that the system is supposed​ to presume innocence. Sending her away may have also not really been about her at all, but about getting her out of the way so she didn't contaminate the crime scene, and to ensure her presence didn't distract/bias the investigators who probably knew her at some level. Since she essentially reported her own crime and turned herself in, it would have been safe to assume she wasn't a flight risk, and that seems to have been borne out. Given these things, and of course the details of the situation that neither you nor I have guessed at, this could have been a perfectly reasonable course of action.

    She probably should have been checked for intoxication at some point though, assuming she wasn't. It may not be material, though. It doesn't seem like the facts of the case are under dispute.
    Honestly if you shoot someone in someone else's home they damn well should be taking a urine and blood sample to test vs. drugs/alcohol.

  4. #4
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,985
    They should do a full toxicology screen but I'm not sure what difference it makes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  5. #5
    Testing for drugs isn't going to do anything concerning the case. This is simply a byproduct of how we allow our police to operate and our gun happy culture. She walked into an unlocked and dark room and opened fire before processing anything. In a country that values life that should be an instant blackball from her profession and gun ownership.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  6. #6
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,985
    In a country that valued life that would be the result. But this happened in the United States of America instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  7. #7
    Under pressure Wraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,484
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    They should do a full toxicology screen but I'm not sure what difference it makes.
    They did, but the results haven't been released publicly. It might make a difference in sentencing. Or maybe not, I can't figure out whether being drunk would make this better or worse. If it matters though, she had apparently just gotten off of a 15 hour shift, and there's talk about the role that might have played.

  8. #8
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,985
    Sleep deprivation would if anything be a mitigating factor, but surely no more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  9. #9
    All Worship Ragnarök Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,599
    Am I the only one wondering how a single cop with 4 years of experience lives in an upscale apartment building?
    Hope is the denial of reality

  10. #10
    Local talking head LittleFuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,642
    Just what indicates it's an upscale apartment building?

    (I have heard of complexes and apartment management that offer sweetheart deals to get a police officer tenant to make other residents feel safer, RN's or NP's that is capable of emergency care, etc. But that's just anecdotal rumor)
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  11. #11
    All Worship Ragnarök Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,599
    Several news stories referred to it as such.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  12. #12
    Local talking head LittleFuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,642
    Oh well, if you see a journalist make an off-hand reference like that than you KNOW it has to be true. Particularly for such a vague term.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  13. #13
    From their own website:
    A LITTLE SOUTH OF THE NORM, BUT DEEP INTO THE DALLAS SCENE
    Toss those preconceived ideas of a “luxury” urban apartment complex in the trash. South Side Flats is bringing a new vibe to an up-and-coming district, The Cedars, which is positioned just south of Downtown Dallas and adjacent to the vibrant Deep Ellum quarter. With a diverse mix of sleek studio, one, and two bedroom flats headlining the show, South Side Flats was orchestrated as a tip of the hat to Dallas arts and culture. Couple up dinner and an indie movie at Alamo Drafthouse Cedars, or stroll over to neighboring, NYLO, for an outing on the rooftop bar. Better yet, why not venture down the street to Southside Music Hall. Whatever Dallas scene you seek, it’s on tap at South Side Flats.

    BE SURE NOT TO GHOST THESE CUTTING EDGE LUXURY APARTMENTS IN DALLAS, TX


    Seems to be fancier than any unit I've rented. Studios start at a grand. That's 10% over the average of Dallas as a whole.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  14. #14
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,985
    The sales pitch makes it sound good? How damning.

    Isn't "up and coming" one of those real estate buzzwords for "not traditionally popular but we want you to think it will be".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  15. #15
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,939
    This is like when Lily and Marshall bought the apartment in the up-and-coming DoWiSeTrepla neighborhood.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The sales pitch makes it sound good? How damning.

    Isn't "up and coming" one of those real estate buzzwords for "not traditionally popular but we want you to think it will be".
    Possible. Around here it means new high end builds in a middle to lower end neighborhood. Gentrification.

    I was more focused on the link for what they provide. It's not your average roof over your head complex.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Possible. Around here it means new high end builds in a middle to lower end neighborhood. Gentrification.

    I was more focused on the link for what they provide. It's not your average roof over your head complex.
    A cop in Dallas makes mid-40k early in their career. Covering $12k in rent isn't hard for someone single on that salary.

    Dallas historically had a dead downtown and nearby neighborhoods. In recent years that has reversed, with lots oof conversions to higher end housing and a revitalization of public spaces/culture/retail. The area of this complex is not in the center of this activity, but it's in an area that is a target of developers. It's got a bit of a gentrifying bohemian hipster vibe.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

  18. #18
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,939
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...police/570124/

    Heads, you're dead; tails, you're also dead.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •