Thread: Always a good reminder: See something? Say Something!

Default Always a good reminder: See something? Say Something!

https://ktla.com/2018/09/21/man-who-...felony-counts/

A Salinas man was charged with four felony counts after being found with two homemade bombs in his vehicle at a traffic stop in Brea on Tuesday night, authorities said.

Saleh Ali, 47, was charged Thursday with intent to unlawfully make a destructive device, two counts of possession of a destructive device, and the sale and transportation of a destructive device, the Orange County District Attorney’s Office announced Friday.

Brea Police Department officers pulled Ali over for having expired registration at a traffic stop in the area of South Orange Ave and Imperial Highway. Police say they found the two bombs when they checked his black Toyota Corolla.

The DA’s office described the bombs as “improvised explosive devices,” and said they were “containers covered in shrapnel.”

The devices were taken by an Orange County sheriff’s bomb squad and Ali was arrested and put in Orange County Jail. Police said Thursday his bail was set at $500,000.

If convicted as charged, Ali will receive a maximum sentence of 10 years in state prison.

He is due in court for a pre-trial hearing on Friday, Sept. 28.

While granted this was a traffic stop I think it's important for everyone to remember its important to report suspect activity when you see it.

A maximum sentence of 10 years for carrying bombs that could kill dozens? Plus covered in shrapnel so designed to maximise injuries could have led to dozens suffering major injuries, disabilities and even amputations.

Why isn't it a maximum life in prison? I thought attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder both had that and this seems comparable. If these bombs had gone off it would have been a life sentence or death penalty case and I don't see any difference in intent here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    A maximum sentence of 10 years for carrying bombs that could kill dozens? Plus covered in shrapnel so designed to maximise injuries could have led to dozens suffering major injuries, disabilities and even amputations.

Why isn't it a maximum life in prison? I thought attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder both had that and this seems comparable. If these bombs had gone off it would have been a life sentence or death penalty case and I don't see any difference in intent here.
    I don't disagree. America is harsh on stupid crimes (like weed and other illegal drugs) and soft on crimes that should be taken seriously like rape, theft, terrorism etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post

While granted this was a traffic stop I think it's important for everyone to remember its important to report suspect activity when you see it.
    What qualifies as "suspect activity"?

Apparently, the man who mailed *15 pipe bombs thru the USPS* had been driving a van adorned with hate speech stickers around FL for several months. The van was "known" to local residents, but no one said anything to authorities....it was simply dismissed as pro-Trump political Freeee Speech, just as his hateful and threatening posts on social media were ignored.

See Something Say Something doesn't work if you're really just "profiling" by race, ethnicity, or political party.