Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should be done with monsters? (False Accusations)

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    You guys are actually still listening to Lewk?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    You guys are actually still listening to Lewk?
    He's mostly a proxy for his "ilk". Since I live in a rust-belt, farm-belt, Bible-belt northeast state that's considered Trump territory, there's some satisfaction in debating Lewk's mentality and world view here. It would be considered *rude* to do that with the people that actually live in my community but aren't part of my family or close circle of friends. That's why Trump support existed mostly under the polling-radar, and surprised many of the pundits and odds-makers when he won the presidency.

When I do take a chance by engaging 'strangers' with a political and/or cultural question, I'm nearly always disappointed by an underlying racist or sexist or xenophobic comment. Or patent ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    He's mostly a proxy for his "ilk". Since I live in a rust-belt, farm-belt, Bible-belt northeast state that's considered Trump territory, there's some satisfaction in debating Lewk's mentality and world view here. It would be considered *rude* to do that with the people that actually live in my community but aren't part of my family or close circle of friends. That's why Trump support existed mostly under the polling-radar, and surprised many of the pundits and odds-makers when he won the presidency.

When I do take a chance by engaging 'strangers' with a political and/or cultural question, I'm nearly always disappointed by an underlying racist or sexist or xenophobic comment. Or patent ignorance.
    Trump support was under-polled because people get assaulted, spit on and have their belongings stolen if they wear Trump hats or put Trump signs in their yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Trump support was under-polled because people get assaulted, spit on and have their belongings stolen if they wear Trump hats or put Trump signs in their yard.
    You're conflating polling (surveys) with public behavior (hats and yard signs). The real reason Trump support was underestimated was probably because most pollsters focused on cities/urban areas as high population groups, and didn't realize the growing suburban/exurban population numbers identified with the "rural" populace.

But Lewk's response makes sense, and explains why it's so hard to engage with Trump supporters. They pull the "victim" card at every turn, even when it can't be backed up with facts, because Trump gave them license to create their own falsely aggrieved reality. It's crazy.

Lewk posted a #himtoo comment somewhere, suggesting men are under assault by women making false accusations. Trump said it's a very scary time for young men right now....but said women are "doing just fine". What a crock.

There is no epidemic of white men being falsely accused of crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post

There is no epidemic of white men being falsely accused of crimes.
    Honestly the go to example for the right is Brian Banks, a black man.

While we're at it, why limit this to false accusations of sex-related crimes?

Trump spent years accusing Obama of not being a "legitimate" US citizen. He started the "Birther" movement and fed the conspiracy that caused a lot of damage to our political processes. What should be done with a person like that, who propagates lies and stokes fear, just to win elections and gain power? Besides calling him a monster...

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Honestly the go to example for the right is Brian Banks, a black man.
    Fuzzy already gave a good explanation that makes your opinion sound lame.