Thread: Should Kavanaugh be confirmed for SCOTUS?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    My understanding is that part of what made the Anita Hill investigation so fast was that she provided lots of details and information that could easily be checked and verified. What you are talking about, finding old classmates, then scheduling interviews with them, getting enough data to cross check their responses, and then re-interview them if necessary, does not sound fast nor easy to me.
    I don't think it can be accomplished in three days, no. Nor do I think that should be the standard.

And that is forgetting that if others were in fact aware of it, that seems to contradict her claim that she told no one.
    No. Afaict her claim was that she never spoke about it in detail (ie. with a detailed account of what happened and who did it) until around 2012.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I don't think it can be accomplished in three days, no. Nor do I think that should be the standard.
    Which plays into the belief shared by Lewk and Dreadnaught that this has more to do with delaying the confirmation, (hopefully until after the midterm elections) than it does with performing a careful and thorough vetting of Kavanaugh. Contributing to that belief is that Feinstein decided to sit on this as long as she did. Can you not see why this would raise a number of questions in people's minds that don't require them being heartless misogynists who don't care about victims of sexual assault?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Which plays into the belief shared by Lewk and Dreadnaught that this has more to do with delaying the confirmation, (hopefully until after the midterm elections) than it does with performing a careful and thorough vetting of Kavanaugh. Contributing to that belief is that Feinstein decided to sit on this as long as she did. Can you not see why this would raise a number of questions in people's minds that don't require them being heartless misogynists who don't care about victims of sexual assault?
    Lewk is only marginally better than the kind of person who said McCain timed his decision to die for maximum political impact. Lewk wants the Mueller investigation to be wrapped up prematurely, for political reasons. Lewk sees all politics as means to an end, where the end is victory in a culture war, which to him justifies all means. Nothing else is more important to him, which is why he and others like him have decided that the allegations are false--or, worse, that they don't matter even if they're true. I cannot consider his view on this to be particularly interesting.

The question is whether or not you think these allegations are important enough to warrant investigation before Kavanaugh is confirmed. People who truly care about victims of sexual assault--and about the integrity of SCOTUS justices--will believe the allegations should be investigated before Kavanaugh is confirmed. People who care more about politics will disagree. I believe such allegations should be investigated. The republic will not be destroyed or tainted if Kavanaugh's confirmation--or anyone else's confirmation--is delayed for this reason. Taking allegations about sexual assault seriously is not a harmful departure from the norms of a modern, civilized society.

As for sitting on the story, afaict Dr. Ford requested that her story be treated as confidential. On top of this, Eshoo and Feinstein may not have regarded the allegations as credible, or believed they would not be able to make a strong case based on the information in the letter without the victim coming forward. I don't know the circumstances of the leak.

Also on the matter of politics, McConnell himself threatened to delay the vote until just before the midterms, when Democrats requested access to documents they needed to see before the confirmation. This was a spectacular demonstration of hypocrisy and double standards even at the time he made the threat; it is even more so now when he and other GOP shills say, "Oh no there's simply no time!!!!" When a group of people shows themselves willing to sacrifice principles as well as their own presumptive integrity on the altar of politics, and then tries to chastise their opponents for mirroring their actions--esp. when it's clearly a response or attempt at remedy--I can only laugh.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."