Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New NYT report on Trump's history of tax fraud

Default New NYT report on Trump's history of tax fraud

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...red-trump.html

Some of the highlights in this thread:

https://twitter.com/susannecraig/sta...02603053056000

The article is kinda unbelievable when you realize it's about the president of the United States but, judging from the responses I've seen so far, the consensus appears to be that there are no critical flaws in their investigation. To my knowledge, this is the most thorough review of Trump's tax shenanigans published in a major newspaper. I don't even want to think about what a review of his tax returns will reveal.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I don't even want to think about what a review of his tax returns will reveal.
    His refusal to release his tax returns wasn't because of an ongoing IRS audit. He's been hiding behind that false red line for years. Shame on us for letting him get away with it....and electing a president without a full financial vetting.

It actually suggests Fred Trump was far more successful than (at least I had) realized. And Donald Trump is potentially less so, but it's really unclear how much he's really worth.

Also shows the absurdity of the estate tax.

Breaking News: President Trump must provide his tax returns to the Manhattan district attorney, a federal judge ruled again, rejecting the president’s arguments.
    What are they going to do if he refuses, arrest him?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Possibly.

Just ask Al Capone - the taxman gets their man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Possibly.
    4 1/2 years from now?

Thought he was trying to stop them from obtaining his returns from other parties—who can be arrested or otherwise sanctioned?

Thought he was trying to stop them from obtaining his returns from other parties—who can be arrested or otherwise sanctioned?
    I understand. But the heading in the tweet makes it the personal responsibility of Trump.

4 1/2 years from now?
    After January maybe. And he can't pardon himself for any State offences only Federal ones.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The NYT also uncovered shenanigans around the inauguration that are now the focus of a separate investigation:

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/n...ption-72681296
    In the wake of the The New York Times' reporting in 2018, Winston Wolkoff tearily confided in Donald Trump's then-personal attorney, Michael Cohen, about the inaugural committee's activities. Cohen secretly recorded the conversation, and the recording was seized by the FBI as part of its investigation into Cohen's unrelated conduct, according to Winston Wolkoff's account.

The recording offered federal authorities at least one new angle to pursue.

According to Winston Wolkoff, she started to realize there could be a problem with the committee's expenditures "when I saw that a tree you could buy for $10 was $1,000, or a stage that would cost $100,000 was $1 million."

"There were a lot of different people involved," she said.

In January, the attorney general for the District of Columbia filed a lawsuit that alleges the inaugural committee spent more than $1 million at the Trump International Hotel as part of a scheme "to enrich the Trump family."

In a statement at the time, Attorney General Karl Racine said his investigation found that Winston Wolkoff had "raised concerns" about the pending expenditures beforehand with the president-elect himself as well as Ivanka Trump, but they ignored them.

The NYT also uncovered shenanigans around the inauguration that are now the focus of a separate investigation:

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/n...ption-72681296
    Isn't that essentially embezzlement?

If you think this is going to matter even slightly, I am here to tell you that it is not.
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 09-17-2020 at 10:55 PM.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    If you think this is going to matter even slightly, I am here to tell you that it us not.
    In this matter, I don't care about the election—I just want the facts to come out, and, preferably, to see the criminals get punished.

That's not going to happen either. Holding the rich & powerful to account for their crimes is what Americans think 'Orwellian' means.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    That's not going to happen either. Holding the rich & powerful to account for their crimes is what Americans think 'Orwellian' means.
    I think there's a fair chance of the facts—re. misrepresentations/fraud wrt value of assets—coming out, at least. What that might mean for any of the Trump kids, I can't say.

What that might mean for any of the Trump kids, I can't say.
    Book deal?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

A face that can only be loved by a fist.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Well at least his supporters were right.

He is running the country as successful as his businesses.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Many billionaires and large corporations right now:

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Is there a single subject the GOP won't project with? They went after AOC for a $250 haircut, but not a peep about Trump's $70,000 in hairstyling.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Is there a single subject the GOP won't project with? They went after AOC for a $250 haircut, but not a peep about Trump's $70,000 in hairstyling.
    Yeah man, but look at the result!
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Come on man, let's be fair. Trump had to get his pubic hair relocated where as AOC just needed hers trimmed.

This was as satisfying as it was devastating:

This was as satisfying as it was devastating:
    Satisfying to me is news that would dissuade at least some of Trump's base from voting for him. All this appears to do is give them another reporter they can call a liar. She is after all promoting fake news put forth by the failing NYT.

Satisfying to me is news that would dissuade at least some of Trump's base from voting for him.
    You know very well that you won't acknowledge any news as being able to do that, but you should also know that that doesn't matter—this election won't be won by winning Trump's core supporters over. Even if that were the case, the election isn't the only thing that matters; we have to be able to evaluate other things on their own merits.

All this appears to do is give them another reporter they can call a liar. She is after all promoting fake news put forth by the failing NYT.
    That is irrelevant; Trump's core supporters will never even see this clip. But it is instructive to other members of the media who've tended to just give his lackeys free rein to spout all sorts of bullshit on national TV.

Anyone remember the Panama papers? lol

The problem I have with a lot of investigative journalism, is that they always say: “There should be more investigative journalism” and I think, “When you tell me that a lot of rich people aren't paying tax, I’m shocked but I’m not surprised because I know that. I don’t want to read another article that tells me that”. What I want is an article that tells me why, when I’m told that, nothing happens and nothing changes. And no one has ever explained that to me.
    https://www.economist.com/open-futur...ional-collapse
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come