Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inglourious Basterds

Default Inglourious Basterds

It hurts me to spell that way. It really does.

Anyway, watched it last night. I felt it started out moderately amusing, but like I said in IRC, not so much that I didn't hit pause and wander back over to the PC to see if there was anything more entertaining here.

I was, at that time, at the beginning of the bar scene - which was fucking hilarious. After that point, the movie just kept getting more and more funny. I love Tarantino, I really do.

Nothing on teevee tonight, not sure if I can find a movie I particularly want to see at the moment or not.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Me, I got sick of Tarantino a long time ago. I think he is brilliantly talented, and I think most of that is wasted in self-indulgence. But I know many like him.

Your taste is highly suspect due to your lack of appreciation for Lost, Tear.

I haven't seen all his films or anything - I tend to avoid things that are meant to be funny, most of the time.

I think the only funny scenes in the movie involved Landa. The rest was mediocre at best.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Told you the bar scene was kickass.

It had it's moments, the opening scene with the guy hiding the jewish family under his house was creepy. The Bar scene was good and the baseball bat to the head was epic.

All of the Paris stuff with Hitler going to the movies was like something from Mel Brooks though.
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Told you the bar scene was kickass.
    The bar scene was easily the best part.

Ha, I so know what I want to watch tonight now, thanks to Termite.

The theatre girl actress pissed me off loads though when she goes to dinner with those nazis.

She kept looking at everyone with just her eyes and not her head and after about 15 minutes of that i was like "FUCKING LOOK AT THEM PROPERLY FOR FUCKS SAKE OMGLOL!!!!!"

Seriously, thats what i was like.

Srzly
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Well, shit. Even non-Jews were scared of Nazis.

She seemed kinda weird to me, anyway.

I liked it a lot.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

It made me laugh.

I chose to share this, because OG caught me in my shortly before the beginning of the bar scene commentary.

And I think I mentioned to you that I was planning to see it.

It entertained me, I see no need to own it.

And I am currently enjoying the pleasure of Madeline Kahn.

I'm not sure I could get into this. When I was flying from Chinaaaaaa it was one of the movies I could have watched on the 16 hour flight, but I could never bring myself to actually watch what I've heard is a boring gorefest.

There's not much gore, really. If there were I couldn't have handled it.

The best of my airplane choices were The Reader and Slumdog Millionaire. I watched both - and I have since watched The Reader 7 or 8 times, didn't particularly care for Slumdog Millionaire at all.

Of course, I was much drunker by the time I started it, since I watched The Reader first. That led to my bawling on a plane, and getting really cute German flight attendants asking me if I was okay.

Not sure where you heard the "gorefest" from, other than the baseball bat and a few scalpings it really isn't gory.
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I'm not sure I could get into this. When I was flying from Chinaaaaaa it was one of the movies I could have watched on the 16 hour flight, but I could never bring myself to actually watch what I've heard is a boring gorefest.
    It's an exaggeration. There are maybe 2-3 gory scenes in the movie.
    Hope is the denial of reality

The most gore was at the very end, really, I thought.

The scalpings were fairly gore-free.

The second half (give or take) was funny. Icky is right that Landa had the best bits.

It's really not, Dread. I'm a huge fucking pussy, and I hate gore (and gratuitous violence). Don't skip it because of that, it's not a problem.

Yeah, that's part of the bar scene.

First Dread ends up in left field with KickAss, now this movie is to gruesome...
    You need to find a more competent movie reviewer Dread.

Eh? I didn't say anything inaccurate about Kick Ass, the actress was 11 and some worry that she's too young to do/say those kinds of things in movies. I'm not alone.

Also, I wouldn't be bothered by a gory movie. It's a movie that [might be] all gore is what made me not interested.

If it's a gruesome bar scene you want, that's in Kill Bill

This one isn't too bad...it has some moments, but nothing really over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowheart View Post
    If it's a gruesome bar scene you want, that's in Kill Bill
    Show it on the big screen everytime a visitor requests a movie with a little gratuitous violence.

That and the elephant attack in LOTR.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I liked this movie.

That is all.

Eh? I didn't say anything inaccurate about Kick Ass, the actress was 11 and some worry that she's too young to do/say those kinds of things in movies. I'm not alone.
    She is a 13 yearold playing an 11 year old...[edit] playing a 12 yearold?[/edit]
    Such is Life...

She turned 13 in Feb this year, so was 11 then 12 for the filiming ...

~

Not seen Basterds but it's high up on my list of must-sees.

I like Tarantino's creations - they're imaginative and fun and always very watchable.

With the possible exception of that Crash movie - but I haven't seen it so will reserve judgement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I really enjoyed it and my favourite scene was towards the end where she comes onto the screen and the theatre starts burning, with her film still being projected onto the smoke and you can hear her laughing, that was the best.

Also, I wouldn't be bothered by a gory movie. It's a movie that [might be] all gore is what made me not interested.
    I said incompetent, not lonely , especially (it appears), when it comes to certain forms of entertainment concepts.

SHE MISSPELLED SOMETHING!!!!!

Love the movie, love Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, love Tarantino, need to see Kill Bill.

The first time I saw it i was very very unsure of the bar scene, I felt like it was the low point of the movie and quite boring. I've since seen it 3 more times and understand just how great it is; the subtleties, the build-up, the quintessential self-deprecating Mexican standoff, fantastic.

Am I alone in genuinely liking Landa?