Thread: Racially motivated shootings in the US

Default Racially motivated shootings in the US

Just now at a synagogue in Pittsburgh, where a gunman shot 12 people, killing at least 8:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/27/u...ter/index.html

https://heavy.com/news/2018/10/robert-bowers/

An hour before the shooting, Bowers wrote on a social media site, Gab, “HIAS likes to bring invaders in that kill our people. I can’t sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics. I’m going in.” HIAS is the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society that helps refugees.
    His comments will no doubt put Gab in the spotlight again for a little while before everyone except wannabe neo-Nazis forget about them again.

Two black victims shot to death by a gunman in Kentucky:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...itness-n924641

Alleged Kroger gunman uttered, 'whites don't kill whites,' witness says
    Police have not yet determined a motive for the fatal shootings of a black man and woman at a Kentucky grocery store.
    “We received a tip that the suspect was seen outside of a local church,” Jeffersontown Police Chief Sam Rogers said Thursday at a news conference.

Rogers said Bush attempted to enter the First Baptist Church of Jeffersontown, a predominantly black church, 10 to 15 minutes before the shooting but was “unsuccessful.” He said he could not confirm whether the gunman was armed when he attempted to go inside.
    Seems likely he would've killed many more, had the doors to the church not been locked.

Hopefully this is not the start of a wave of such killings. Racially motivated murders of black people occur from time to time with some regularity, but this sort of lethal antisemitic attack tends to be rare in the US. The antisemitic rhetoric, however, has really been kicked up a notch or ten these past couple of years.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

He seems to have been triggered by the Central American caravan, that he blamed on the Jews. I wonder why he'd feel so strongly about that.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    He seems to have been triggered by the Central American caravan, that he blamed on the Jews. I wonder why he'd feel so strongly about that.
    Obviously because we know cosmopolitan globalists are trying to destroy the US by undermining the Republican party.

Nah, we're just imagining things. There is no connection between this shit and literal neo-Nazis running as GOP candidates.

There's been an uptick in hate crimes the last few years with a 57-60% increase of anti-Semitism (even though Jews are less than 2% of US population). Today's murders in Pitt. are horrible, shocking, sad, disgusting, beyond words.

And I wish some of the president's first comments weren't that 'armed guards at the Temple door might have reduced the death toll'....

Like I said in your other thread (about suspicious packages) this is what passes as "information" in the Trump era.

Candidly, the Soros-mongering is just a delayed reaction to Koch-mongering.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Candid, but wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Seeing as it's been happening since before the Koch-mongering started (I would actually suggest the Koch-mongering was a delayed reaction to the regular bitching about Soros) that seems unlikely. Doesn't make it Protocols of Zion material though. I stand by my previous claim that the bulk of anti-Soros ranting and sentiment has no trace of anti-semitism about it.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Seeing as it's been happening since before the Koch-mongering started (I would actually suggest the Koch-mongering was a delayed reaction to the regular bitching about Soros) that seems unlikely. Doesn't make it Protocols of Zion material though. I stand by my previous claim that the bulk of anti-Soros ranting and sentiment has no trace of anti-semitism about it.
    Right, that's why it uses nearly identical imagery to that of previous anti-Semitic propaganda. And frequently promoted by far-right groups who are openly anti-Semitic.

Oddly enough, that wasn't the stance you were taking on here in 2010.

Of course anti-semitic groups promote criticism of Soros, they're anti-semitic. But just because he's a Jewish boogeyman to them doesn't mean that his being Jewish is relevant for others who consider him a boogeyman. You're going to have to show me what changed between the second half of the Bush Presidency and much of Obama's presidency and now in the general Right's fear and outrage toward Soros besides the fact that you're actually looking at the alt-right now.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    His comments will no doubt put Gab in the spotlight again for a little while before everyone except wannabe neo-Nazis forget about them again.
    Well, PayPal washed their hands off them and from what I heard, Microsoft will boot them off Azure (i.e. they have to look for another hoster).
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Oddly enough, that wasn't the stance you were taking on here in 2010.

Of course anti-semitic groups promote criticism of Soros, they're anti-semitic. But just because he's a Jewish boogeyman to them doesn't mean that his being Jewish is relevant for others who consider him a boogeyman. You're going to have to show me what changed between the second half of the Bush Presidency and much of Obama's presidency and now in the general Right's fear and outrage toward Soros besides the fact that you're actually looking at the alt-right now.
    Could that be because it's no longer just the extremists doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Could that be because it's no longer just the extremists doing it?
    It's no longer just the extremists going after Soros? I beg to differ. The Right has been ranting and complaining about him since he started getting involved in political causes in 2004. You didn't make the Soros/Koch brothers comparison yourself back then because only extremists were talking about either. Show me the difference in how the general Right was talking about him back then to how they're talking about him now.

Thei weren't talking about him being part of the "great displacement " for starters.

It is telling that fairly mainstream figures and channels are openly propagating the "white genocide" meme along with allusions to Jewish "globalists" and variations on ZOG. The screenshot of the tweet above singles out two wealthy Jewish men and one who has a Jewish parent. Trump's closing ad associated common antisemitic memes with prominent Jewish people, in an attack on Clinton. The president and others around him have shared antisemitic tweets on several occasions. That is the context for the current rhetoric against Soros.

I seem to recall the Koch-mongering being about stuff that the Koch's were actually doing.

If the Soros-mongering is about stuff Soros is actually doing then fair enough. If he's just the Jewish bogeyman for everything ill in the world even stuff he's got nothing to do with then yes that does seem antisemitic.

Is the State Department Soros-occupied for instance? Is either Soros or the Soros-occupied State Department behind the Caravans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

What, "Soros Occupied State-Department" wasn't on the nose enough for you, Fuzzy?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    What, "Soros Occupied State-Department" wasn't on the nose enough for you, Fuzzy?
    When a Dem "deep state" has been the GOP's go-to excuse for the last two years? No. The State Dept is not code for "Jewish" and Soros does get involved in lots of foreign aid projects, both humanitarian and political ones, which makes him an ideal face to put on any GOP fearmongering (just like Erik Prince gets used by the Dems any time they want to make things up about a domestic military threat. Which is, granted, far less common, something I put down to Trump providing more than enough campaign fodder to use without manufactured fearmongering)

It's the phrasing that's significant there, not the actual idea they're trying to push.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

And yet entirely expected from Mike Pence.

Its remarkable the similarities between Corbyn and Trump. I've always said the far right and far left have more in common with each other than the centre right or centre left but it's truly uncanny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

turns out the fake rabbi was extra extra fake.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nce-so-n926406
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It's no longer just the extremists going after Soros? I beg to differ. The Right has been ranting and complaining about him since he started getting involved in political causes in 2004. You didn't make the Soros/Koch brothers comparison yourself back then because only extremists were talking about either. Show me the difference in how the general Right was talking about him back then to how they're talking about him now.
    One difference is that the 'extreme' right is now part of the 'general' right.

Political Ads that depict Soros as an evil gobalist (along with other Jews like Yellen or Blankfein) isn't like Ads criticizing big corporate money (Koch) in politics. No, it's part of a conspiracy theory with anti-Semitic origins. It's been going on for decades, mostly under the radar, but it's bubbled up in recent years and become 'mainstream' in the modern GOP. Surely you remember when (mostly young) Ron Paul supporters were caught off-guard by accusations of racism/anti-Semitism?

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-m...031-story.html for those that the above link doesn't work.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The cache link is for EU residents, didn't realize US residents would be unable to use it

This is beginning to look like a parody of antisemitism:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...fistfuls-cash/