Thread: Common Sense Changes

Default Common Sense Changes

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...hought-n937316

On Friday, following months of anticipation, DeVos released her proposal for how cases of sexual assault and misconduct should be handled, noting that "every survivor of sexual violence must be taken seriously, and every student accused of sexual misconduct must know that guilt is not predetermined."

While a 60-day public comment period is now in effect before the plan can be finalized, advocates for sexual assault survivors say they're worried that the guidelines would actually make campuses more dangerous, deter victims from coming forward and put them in traumatizing scenarios.

"It will return schools to a time where rape, assault and harassment were swept under the rug," said Jess Davidson, interim executive director of the group End Rape on Campus, adding that the proposal is "worse than we thought."

The proposal earned a harsh tweet Friday from Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., who warned DeVos that she "won't get away with what you are doing."

Of course liberal groups are outraged. However I think these are some great changes! If you have been assaulted you shouldn't be going to your college you should be GOING TO THE POLICE.

No one should be able to ruin another person's life on the strength of their word alone. The Salem Witch trials taught us that, the Duke Lacross case taught us that and Brian Banks taught us that. Here's hoping Devos stands firm and the changes are implemented.

I don't think I've ever come across someone who was as convinced that the interests of white males were equivalent to the interests of everyone.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I don't think I've ever come across someone who was as convinced that the interests of white males were equivalent to the interests of everyone.
    Interestingly enough due to economics (and a little racism sure) it is POC who get shafted with false accusations far worse than whites do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/devos-proposal-campus-sex-misconduct-rules-are-worse-we-thought-n937316

On Friday, following months of anticipation, DeVos released her proposal for how cases of sexual assault and misconduct should be handled, noting that "every survivor of sexual violence must be taken seriously, and every student accused of sexual misconduct must know that guilt is not predetermined."

While a 60-day public comment period is now in effect before the plan can be finalized, advocates for sexual assault survivors say they're worried that the guidelines would actually make campuses more dangerous, deter victims from coming forward and put them in traumatizing scenarios.

"It will return schools to a time where rape, assault and harassment were swept under the rug," said Jess Davidson, interim executive director of the group End Rape on Campus, adding that the proposal is "worse than we thought."

The proposal earned a harsh tweet Friday from Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., who warned DeVos that she "won't get away with what you are doing."

Of course liberal groups are outraged. However I think these are some great changes! If you have been assaulted you shouldn't be going to your college you should be GOING TO THE POLICE.

No one should be able to ruin another person's life on the strength of their word alone. The Salem Witch trials taught us that, the Duke Lacross case taught us that and Brian Banks taught us that. Here's hoping Devos stands firm and the changes are implemented.
    Working as an assistant at SHSU, I didn't hear a hint of accusation for sexual assault, no cases, nothing. And does it mean there were none? I assume there were a lot of cases, but they were never reported. And I wonder in what way they are going to punish schools, in case their response to sexual harassment is "clearly unreasonable".