Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I go skydiving?

Default Should I go skydiving?

So there's a chance I may be going on my first vacation in almost two years. It will be long. It will be tough. It will be awesome.

I'm considering going skydiving. Has anyone here done it before? Any feelings on it either way?

My main thoughts are:

1) Would be awesome.

2) I would get really scared just before the jump. Possibly to the point of not enjoying it.

3) It would be really stupid if there was an accident and I died.

4) It would be awesome and the kind of thing I should do once in my life.

Default Re: Should I go skydiving?

Done it. Highly recommend it.

More people die landing in planes than jumping out of them.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.

Doooo eeeeeet!

Unless you regularly jump out of planes (or the people running it are totally irresponsible) you'll be tandem skydiving, so you'll have someone strapped to your back to help you get over #2 and to prevent #3 from occuring.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Oh yeah, would definitely be tandem. I just worry about being a statistic of failure when it comes to 2 and 3. Well, mainly 3 (death).

You can be a statistic of failure for just about anything. Might as well make it something cool like skydiving.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar

Skydiving is rad, you should go do it.

Try to get one of those flying man suits, being able to glide sideways probably makes the experience that much better.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Cue Ziggggyyy!

Always wanted to go skydiving, haven't gotten around to it yet. Never want to do the tandem thing, but there's an alternative 'accelerated course' thing where they have two guys jump with you (no tandem, just holding onto you during freefall) and one of them pulls the cord for you on your first dive. It's supposed to get you certified to jump alone after 3 jumps.

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar

I've been twice, and I would definitely recommend doing it before you get any older and that little voice in your head telling you not to gets any louder. You won't regret it. Unless you get seriously injured or something. :P

Going bungee jumping was scarier. Go do that too. I went to a place in Nanaimo called The Bungy Zone when the ship stopped in Victoria. The reason I say it's scarier is because you have to force yourself to jump instead of the person strapped to your back doing it, and also because you feel the effects of gravity which you don't get when skydiving (because of the horizontal speed while in the plane)
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

I went not too long ago for the first time, I would say you have to go it really isn't all that scary when your that high.

In fact my instructor was actually afraid of heights he said if you couldn't get him on a cliff or in a high rise because your close enough to the ground to get vertigo, but when your in a plane your too far to really get vertigo and he's never had a problem.

But don't you rapidly get closer to the ground?

Seems you aren't used to the off topic section yet?

And yes, you should.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker
    Seems you aren't used to the off topic section yet?

And yes, you should.
    Maybe he's looking to start a Newtonism vs. Intelligent Falling debate
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Sounds like Skydiving with or without parachute
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

You wouldn't catch me jumping out of a plane. No way! But hey whatever floats your chute!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught
    So there's a chance I may be going on my first vacation in almost two years. It will be long. It will be tough. It will be awesome.

I'm considering going skydiving. Has anyone here done it before? Any feelings on it either way?

My main thoughts are:

1) Would be awesome.

2) I would get really scared just before the jump. Possibly to the point of not enjoying it.

I have friends who've done it, and they enjoyed it *granted, they haven't gone since one of them managed to fall off a small cliff last time they went hiking in the Sierras. . .*

Myself, I'm the anti-thesis of an adrenaline junkie. I don't even like things like paintball, which barely qualify as stress. I'd never skydive.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught

Yeah, it's great fun. You might have to have a grinectomy afterwards though.
    My main thoughts are:

1) Would be awesome.

1. Agreed
    2. You do indeed get scared before the jump, everyone who hasn't done many hundreds of them do.
    3. If this worries you, please proceed to the nearest cellar with enough food and supplies.
    4. Or it would be awesome and you want more of it.

If you do the tandem, you also might want to consider an assisted jump with two instructors afterwards.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Mapper
    Going bungee jumping was scarier. Go do that too.
    I still haven't done that, mainly for the reasons parmenio gave. Jumping out of a plane was easy because the sheer height eliminates any sense of scale. Jumping off a cliff? wild horses couldn't drag me near the edge of one let alone off it.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Sky diving is one of the things I promised I'd do before I was 30. I've not yet done it, but plan to do it in the summer.

Dread - do it. It's likely to be an experience unlike any other, and I'd wager it's the kind of thing one would regret if they passed the opportunity up.

Well the votes seem to be in! Once I move money onto the debit card I got just for this trip, I think I'll book it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus
    Maybe he's looking to start a Newtonism vs. Intelligent Falling debate
    :lol: :lol:

You should go!

(If I can be the tandem jumper!)
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Not to be a total jackass, although I fear it's unavoidable by asking this, and not that I care one itty bit.

Should this technically not be in the off topic section?
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
    Not to be a total jackass, although I fear it's unavoidable by asking this, and not that I care one itty bit.

Should this technically not be in the off topic section?
    Yes.

Reading the word skydiving makes me sick I used to have a collegue who did it in a formation team, she was very enthousiastic about it. I haven't heard of her demise so far
    Congratulations America

Considering how much I hate flying I can think of nothing better than a faster method of getting out of a plane.

But will they let you skydive with a dangerous combination of mind-altering drugs and booze, because that is what's required to get me into a plane to begin with.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged
    a dangerous combination of mind-altering drugs and booze, because that is what's required to get me into a plane to begin with.
    You don't fly?

Or do you fly frequently but have a steady supply of LSD and a large hip-flask always filled to the brim before boarding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2

You don't fly?

Or do you fly frequently but have a steady supply of LSD and a large hip-flask always filled to teh brim?
    I fly.

I just have to be fucked up and stay that way to manage - and even then I can still have panic attacks about it.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Skydiving would be amazing, I'd love to do it someday.
    You've made up your mind it seems, but I definitely would.

I'd love to go skydiving some time, seems great to me. I'd do it if I were you!
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir
    I used to have a collegue who did it in a formation team, she was very enthousiastic about it. I haven't heard of her demise so far
    Do you know perhaps whether she goes to Teuge?
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I plan on doing this when I meet the age requirement- which is 18 in the US. I have tried indoor skydiving and it was a lot of fun... What I fear most in actual skydiving is the risk of death.