Thread: End Bail for Illegals

Default End Bail for Illegals

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/11/2...manda-ferguson

A suspected illegal immigrant is facing charges in the hit-and-run death of a sixth-grade teacher on Thanksgiving morning in El Paso, Texas.

Police said Joel Velazquez, 24, ran a red light and struck 28-year-old Amanda Ferguson while she crossed the street around 2:00am local time Thursday.

Velazquez was reportedly out of jail on bond for a 2017 assault charge and was in the country illegally, according to KFOX14.

This seems like a completely straight forward solution. If you are here illegally you are clearly a proven flight risk. End bail for illegal immigrants and then this poor woman wouldn't have been killed. It really is time for common sense.

If they're only suspected illegal, why would innocent until proven guilty not apply?

Having a traffic violation being the tipping point seems suspect too. Why only apply this to, or single out, supposed illegals? I'd love to see justification research on that.

He wants to cry about the metoo movement, but has no beef with guy sitting in jail for over a year waiting for his day in court over a suspected assault?

For a conservative, that's a lot of needlessly wasted taxpayer money.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Translation: "end constitution".
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    If they're only suspected illegal, why would innocent until proven guilty not apply?
    Automatic citizenship check for anyone arrested. The person has to be IDed which should make it very simple to make that determination. And obviously if someone cannot be identified then they can't be released either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Translation: "end constitution".
    Oh I'd love to hear how not allowing criminal illegals bail is a violation of the constitution.

I understand that you are an idiot, but, under the US constitution, pretty much everyone has the right to request bail and to have their request be given fair consideration. You and I both know this is just another pathetic attempt to argue, incorrectly, that the constitution doesn't apply to brown immigrants, just as we both know that you're full of shit when you make a blanket assertion that all undocumented immigrants are clearly such great flight risks that they must be denied bail by default. What puzzles me is that you continue to pretend I don't know how full of shit you are.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I understand that you are an idiot, but, under the US constitution, pretty much everyone has the right to request bail and to have their request be given fair consideration. You and I both know this is just another pathetic attempt to argue, incorrectly, that the constitution doesn't apply to brown immigrants, just as we both know that you're full of shit when you make a blanket assertion that all undocumented immigrants are clearly such great flight risks that they must be denied bail by default. What puzzles me is that you continue to pretend I don't know how full of shit you are.
    "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."

The constitution prohibits excessive bail, it does not require bail to be given.

It's been ruled that your quote "Excessive bail shall not be required," establishes bail considerations as a constitutional right.

Please stop acting like a dumbass.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 11-27-2018 at 02:47 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Other countries have bad driving habits. USA is a very organized nation, order is amazing in most of US.
    Other countries do not even paint their streets or put signs appropriately and in those countries traffic lights are more of a suggestions, instead of a command.
    Blend USA and these aspects of other netions and the result is poor.
    The problem with illegals is that they did not pass through a process to be a good citizen.
    Bails or lack of bails will not solve the problem or seem connected to the root cause.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."

The constitution prohibits excessive bail, it does not require bail to be given.
    Not granting bail is the most excessive type of bail...that means it's only allowed under the most extreme conditions.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Denying bail is clearly "excessive bail" you dingbat. What do you think "excessive bail" means otherwise?

Perhaps the bigger question is why in November 2018 someone is still on bail from a 2017 charge. There does seem to be an excessive delay between charge and trial - which would make denying bail all the more excessive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Clearly the founding fathers were sitting around in their knee length coats, britches and turned up collars thinking "Excessive bail is bullshit, but setting no-bail at all is A-OK" when they put that bit in the constitution.
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 11-27-2018 at 07:45 PM.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Cearly the founding fathers were clearing sitting around in their knee length coats, britches and turned up collars thinking "Excessive bail is bullshit, but setting no-bail at all is A-OK" when they put that bit in the constitution.
    Certain crimes allowed for bail and others did not allow for bail. As an end run around those statutes English a-hole judges would just set the bail to astronomical amounts that could not be paid as an end round around the legal requirement for certain crimes to have bail.

The constitution clearly allows for the denial of bail otherwise psychotic murderers could not be held prior to their trial under any circumstances.

You can't just deny bail across the board like that, you have to be show the person, as in them as a individual, represents a flight risk and or a serious danger to the community.

Three people have already made essentially the same point, in slightly different ways. Did you think trying that stupid argument on a forth person was going to have different results?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    You can't just deny bail across the board like that, you have to be show the person, as in them as a individual, represents a flight risk and or a serious danger to the community.
    The point is that by virtue of them being here illegally they are a flight risk. If the belief is that Trump is gonna get them outta here what incentive do they have to show up to trial? Even if they are found not-guilty for the crime they were arrested for they get booted out of the country afterwards. It makes obvious sense that they are a clear flight risk.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Denying bail is clearly "excessive bail" you dingbat. What do you think "excessive bail" means otherwise?

Perhaps the bigger question is why in November 2018 someone is still on bail from a 2017 charge. There does seem to be an excessive delay between charge and trial - which would make denying bail all the more excessive.
    It's not. For a major felony with a refusal to plea-bargain, unless it's really cut and dried or the defendant just has an overworked public defender it can take up to two years for charges to go to trial.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

The point is that by virtue of them being here illegally they are a flight risk. If the belief is that Trump is gonna get them outta here what incentive do they have to show up to trial? Even if they are found not-guilty for the crime they were arrested for they get booted out of the country afterwards. It makes obvious sense that they are a clear flight risk.
    Except he hasn't fled so that's clearly not the case and you're just pulling shit out of your ass as usual. If he had fled, he wouldn't be around to possibly have committed this new offense of yours, would he?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Except he hasn't fled so that's clearly not the case and you're just pulling shit out of your ass as usual. If he had fled, he wouldn't be around to possibly have committed this new offense of yours, would he?
    He hadn't been caught and identified by authorities at that point. It is only once he is arrested does the government know he is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    It's not. For a major felony with a refusal to plea-bargain, unless it's really cut and dried or the defendant just has an overworked public defender it can take up to two years for charges to go to trial.
    This by the way is fucking insane. The time between arrest, charging and trial should never take that long. I know that it does but it shouldn't.

He hadn't been caught and identified by authorities at that point. It is only once he is arrested does the government know he is illegal.
    Considering that illegal crossings aren't the source of a majority of illegals, this can be assumed false unless there is more information to this story outside of the link you started with.

This seems like a completely straight forward solution. If you are here illegally you are clearly a proven flight risk. End bail for illegal immigrants and then this poor woman wouldn't have been killed. It really is time for common sense.
    Yes, it's time you come to your senses....and realize that *citizenship* doesn't prevent hit-and-run vehicular deaths.

Which according to you was in 2017. He's facing fresh charges now but was on bail from charges back in 2017. He clearly hasn't fled. Demonstrating that you and your claim are full of shit.

This by the way is fucking insane. The time between arrest, charging and trial should never take that long. I know that it does but it shouldn't.
    You get what you pay for and you want to keep government starved of funds. Which means not having enough judges and court support for a quicker judicial process. Maybe try funding the public defender's office a little better so they can actually do their jobs effectively and not have to file for continuance after continuance to provide even minimal legal coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Yes, it's time you come to your senses....and realize that *citizenship* doesn't prevent hit-and-run vehicular deaths.
    She'd be alive if he wasn't here. That's the point GGT, you can pretty it up all you want but he had no right to be here and he took an American citizen's life.

Well, shit, I guess I didn't know the rule was 'you can't deny bail to an entire class of defendants unless you can come up with some half-assed post-hoc justification to do so'.

*finger to ear-mic*

Yeah, I just found out that's actually not the rule and you are full of shit ​again.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come