Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: RIP George HW Bush

  1. #1

    Default RIP George HW Bush

    End of an era, last (afaik) WWII veteran to lead his country. A mixed legacy but a truly classy and respectful man who saw through the end of the Cold War peacefully.

    Rest in peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  2. #2
    RIP

    It was neat to see him and Bill Clinton develop a friendship after their presidencies. The dude led such an accomplished life:

    *War Hero
    *Business Man
    *Ambassador
    *Led CIA
    *VP
    *President

    Like damn, that resume is almost unmatched.

  3. #3
    If only the American people required similar resumes of all its presidents.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If only the American people required similar resumes of all its presidents.
    Definitely need more business and military folks serving in office.

    I'm actually not a fan of career politicians in the general sense however if you've held leadership capacity roles in the military, police, business etc I value that perspective. What we have too much of is the "I'm a congress man, now I'm a governor, now I'm a president." The reason why *generally* this is bad is because politicians become more corrupt and less connected to the people the longer they are in office.

  5. #5
    You have an historically corrupt president right now.
    Last edited by Aimless; 12-02-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Definitely need more business and military folks serving in office.

    I'm actually not a fan of career politicians in the general sense however if you've held leadership capacity roles in the military, police, business etc I value that perspective. What we have too much of is the "I'm a congress man, now I'm a governor, now I'm a president." The reason why *generally* this is bad is because politicians become more corrupt and less connected to the people the longer they are in office.
    Bush spent a vast majority of his career in politics. He inherited a large chunk of his money and got bored of the business world rather quickly.

    I don't recall you having a similarly high opinion of John Kerry by the way.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post

    I don't recall you having a similarly high opinion of John Kerry by the way.
    That's only because John is playing for the wrong team, of course.

  8. #8
    Bush bending over for the evangelical extremists is how we ended up with Trump today. His son didn't help with the whole gotta kick the gays cause the religious right wants me to position either.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  9. #9
    You're confusing cause and effect. Bush sought to take advantage of a political evangelical movement that was already powerful. And other than some empty rhetoric, he didn't give them much.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  10. #10
    This letter, the first that I know of from someone who has been defeated to the rival that beat him, is tremendously respectful and shows his true class:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/01/us...tters.amp.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •