Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drones Shut Gatwick

According to The Times, resources which were due to be placed onto drafting legislation to deal with exactly this kind of drone incursion were diverted instead to work on Brexit plans.

This year the Department for Transport quietly ditched plans for a draft bill aimed at controlling the use of drones and pioneering technology to prevent them from being used near airports. The legislation, which had been due for publication in the spring, was dropped amid pressures on the department, with civil servants diverted to work on Brexit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    One of them is a cyclist, sounds almost like be might be a MAMIL
    All that form-fitting Lycra likely resulted in impaired judgment due to blood-loss to the brain. Seems pretty accurate to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    According to The Times, resources which were due to be placed onto drafting legislation to deal with exactly this kind of drone incursion were diverted instead to work on Brexit plans.

This year the Department for Transport quietly ditched plans for a draft bill aimed at controlling the use of drones and pioneering technology to prevent them from being used near airports. The legislation, which had been due for publication in the spring, was dropped amid pressures on the department, with civil servants diverted to work on Brexit.
    Somehow, I doubt a ministerial "draft bill" last spring to pioneer technology would have resulted in anything actually protecting Gatwick this month.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

Sounds kinda like the US diverting national security funds for "The Trump Wall".

Apparently an innocent couple was arrested and held for 36 hours while their employer tried to tell the police they had an alibi...
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

i was in the UK during this to protest in support of Brexit, fortunately wasn't using Gatwick. But I liked the idea that they tried snipers -- must be a fun challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Apparently an innocent couple was arrested and held for 36 hours while their employer tried to tell the police they had an alibi...
    I would legit watch this movie:

https://www.google.se/amp/s/news.sky...-says-11593854
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

It's going to turn out there was no original drone, isn't it?
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 12-29-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Or what if this was a bunch of copycats? EG one drone causes a ruckus...then other idiots decide to try.