Thread: Nominated cross-party Senate replacements

Default Nominated cross-party Senate replacements

I believe in the USA in many States a Governor can nominate a replacement Senator in the eventuality of the resignation/death of the elected Senator. To serve either the remainder of the term or until a special election.

If EG the elected Senator was a Democrat and the Governor was GOP, then would normally the Governor nominate a new Democrat Senator or GOP Senator?

Does it vary by State or is it inconsistent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I believe in the USA in many States a Governor can nominate a replacement Senator in the eventuality of the resignation/death of the elected Senator. To serve either the remainder of the term or until a special election.

If EG the elected Senator was a Democrat and the Governor was GOP, then would normally the Governor nominate a new Democrat Senator or GOP Senator?

Does it vary by State or is it inconsistent?
    It varies by state but they do not have to match the party of the missing senator in any state AFAIK so if the standard partisanship is in play they will typically raise someone from their own party to fill the seat. The governor doesn't nominate, they literally fill the position with whoever it is they want in most states. Typically if it's not up to the governor it's because the state rules mandate the special election, in which case the state might just be down a senator until that is completed. Governors can generate push-back and ill-will with their selections though, so they may well choose to gain political capital instead by selecting someone who another group or party might want.
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 12-28-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: edited for clarity and typographic correction
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Appoint may be a better word to be fair, but I thought they were synonyms. Technically even someone appointed is still nominated (its just not conditional on other approval) but I think your choice of word is better because nominations can be automatic or conditional whereas appointments are generally viewed as automatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.