Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US shutdown

I like how good Trump and Pelosi are getting at trolling each other. The Democrats seem unable to articulate any kind of concession, in a surprisingly Trumpian absolutist manner.

These folks need to start thinking big.

Snort. Time to start negotiating with terrorists eh?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Dread isn't suggesting that Trumps latest failure of a speech provided concessions is he?

and whats thinking bigger than dragging the useless GOP through a bloodbath of 2020 elections?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I meant Pelosi asking to delay the State of the Union (could we just kill the speech?) and Trump advising her it was unwise to fly to Europe as she was planning.

The "negotiating with terrorists" line is a bit rich. I thought negotiating with terrorists was a sign of sophistication versus the George W Bush approach.

Are you referring to the GWB approach of bombing the wrong country?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Stupid has gone crazy, bordering on dangerous. Trump's imaginary crisis has created a real crisis. Federal workers not being paid but expected to work as air traffic controllers, TSA screeners, federal prison guards, FBI agents, border patrol, even the Coast Guard -- are real risks to national security. Self-imposed!

Trump and his cabinet and advisers (all wealthy) are clueless about the economic impacts on people's lives, and say the dumbest things about 'adapting', taking loans, or that it's just a paid vacation. I don't think they even believe projections that it could lead to zero GDP growth if this continues, or even spark a recession.

Problem #1 is Trump and his lies about The Wall. #2 is Republicans who enable his BS and don't use facts or data.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-...hs-secretaries

https://thehill.com/policy/transport...tressed-making

https://www.workboat.com/news/govern...posts-twitter/

Do you think Trump will listen to former DHS secretaries, the air traffic control union leader, or the Commandant of the Coast Guard?

He apparently watches TV (mostly Fox News) to get all his info, with a cadre of conservative commentators (like Limbaugh and Coulter) cheering him on to Build The Wall, and an inner circle of yes-men and Bannonites telling him to fight the establishment "Deep State" and/or "Angry Democrats". He doesn't have a very good record of listening to the DoJ or 17 intelligence agencies about Russia, so maybe we're screwed?

Seriously, what will it take to burst Trump's delusional bubble?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post

Seriously, what will it take to burst Trump's delusional bubble?
    Ruptured brain aneurysm.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

But Trump's delusions have tentacles. And he's not even 'the brain' behind this nonsense, but the symptom.

The Senate is holding us hostage. They need to change their leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    The Senate is holding us hostage. They need to change their leadership.
    Maybe McConnell is holding the senate hostage?

I can only hope that people are calling/writing their senators, or flooding their .gov web sites and phone lines. But maybe that won't work during the shutdown? All sorts of governmental web sites aren't fully functional.

If you're a farmer looking for your tariff-related subsidy check, or want to apply for a Dept. of Ag loan, shit out of luck. Ditto for Small Business loans. If you have a question about the new tax laws or your tax refund, the IRS is basically closed. If you're a senior citizen whose rent is subsidized by HUD, start looking for a new place to live because your grace period is over, and no one is manning the phone lines. Etc. etc.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone

Who would have thought refusing to pay Air Traffic Controllers for over a month could cause problems? Now LaGuardia is shut.

If this continues America could face an entirely voluntary recession.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47006907
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see a major aviation incident at Atlanta this weekend.

Well damn, looks like Atlanta will only see regular chaos this weekend. Trump is folding and allowing the government is open back up for a few weeks.

Question now is if he is dumb enough to spin the wall as a national emergency, or hoping his base is to stupid to not remember any of this in 3 weeks.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-25-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Pelosi 1 - 0 Trump

What a pointless month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Thats pretty much the past 2 years. Even on deregulation he has lost over 90% of the resulting court cases.

Probably a result of having been winning too much.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Pelosi 1 - 0 Trump

What a pointless month.
    For wall funding - sure. But it isn't like tax cuts weren't passed during the previous congress and that was definitely a loss for Pelosi.

Caveman! 'Course we all knew that. He'll probably be reelected; we haven't evolved much since our knuckle dragging days after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    For wall funding - sure. But it isn't like tax cuts weren't passed during the previous congress and that was definitely a loss for Pelosi.
    You mean when she was minority leader and the GOP controlled the House, the Senate, and the Oval Office? Not really. If you can't do anything but stand there, you can't really call it a fight with a winner and a loser.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Apparently the GOP is relying on their base of people suffering from short- and long-term memory loss, and also highly delusional.

Last edited by EmperorNorton; 01-27-2019 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Fixed Link

And now the Senate is looking to bring forth legislation that would decrease voter backlash when the Senate abdicates its fiscal responsibility.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...YAU?li=BBnb7Kz

Holy shit, WTF do they think they were elected to do?

I like the proposal that congress (and executive) doesn't get paid if there's another shutdown. Wouldn't sting them like regular workers (since they're mostly millionaires and don't live paycheck-to-paycheck) but as symbolic gestures go, it's ok.

Tally is that it cost $11 Billion in economic loss, $3 Billion that won't ever be recouped, poof. And even tho funding is reinstated there are still lags, backlogs of FDA approvals for small businesses (like microbreweries and wineries). Plus a lot of damage done in national parks (like off-roaders cutting down Joshua trees )

That @GOP tweet above is what we get with Republicans who loathe government so much they don't even want to manage and/or reform bureaucracy. They'll avoid being a check on the executive (their actual JOB) and will play his con game of spin, to deny and detract. Seems at least 30% of Americans fall for it.

Some took advantage of the shutdown and made out pretty well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/el...rrT?li=BBnb7Kz

Spawning a new tourism adventure for venture capitalists to exploit?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Some took advantage of the shutdown and made out pretty well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/el...rrT?li=BBnb7Kz
    They aren't going to tolerate no border wall!
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

where were they radicalised
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come