Thread: US shutdown

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The rest of the developed world can only look on at stuff like this and think: WTF America? <snip Tweet>
    Surprised?! The US might be the largest economy in the world, with low unemployment and other "good-looking" data....but most people live paycheck-to-paycheck (I've seen numbers as high as 78%). We also have a ton of debt in home mortgages, car loans, school loans, credit cards, pay-day advances, etc.

A disturbing number of folks (more than 40% iirc) don't have $400 cash to pay for any emergency expense. Since we don't have Universal Health Care, that emergency can mean a trip to the doctor's office and/or the ER (or renewing an Insulin Rx). We don't have a very good, comprehensive public transportation system (across all states), so that emergency can mean your car breaks down, and you can't get to work. And since we don't have affordable child care, working parents absolutely rely on their paychecks....well, you see the vicious cycle.

The typical American lifestyle looks great, until you scratch the surface and find that so many millions live "close-to-the-bone" that it's practically an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Surprised?! The US might be the largest economy in the world, with low unemployment and other "good-looking" data....but most people live paycheck-to-paycheck (I've seen numbers as high as 78%). We also have a ton of debt in home mortgages, car loans, school loans, credit cards, pay-day advances, etc.
    Sounds like the new economy. :P

I'm trying to prevent this to happen in my country but I'm about to give up.
    It might not be remotely as bad considering we still got decent public service etc. but I'm concerned and don't know what to turn to.

I like how good Trump and Pelosi are getting at trolling each other. The Democrats seem unable to articulate any kind of concession, in a surprisingly Trumpian absolutist manner.

These folks need to start thinking big.