Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warning for British forumers - joking online may cost you cost you 1000 pounds...

Clearly to you, perhaps. There are also plenty of plenty of places where, say, denying the Holocaust is illegal. And according to your courts psychological damages can be quite impressive, if I'm to believe some of your lawsuits, so I suppose being insulted or made fun of can do you harm. Not that I agree with any of this, but your argument assumes everyone has the same values as you have.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Clearly to you, perhaps. There are also plenty of plenty of places where, say, denying the Holocaust is illegal. And according to your courts psychological damages can be quite impressive, if I'm to believe some of your lawsuits, so I suppose being insulted or made fun of can do you harm. Not that I agree with any of this, but your argument assumes everyone has the same values as you have.
    And I would argue that this is undemocratic/illiberal. But banning one narrow type of speech is still preferable to banning all controversial public speech, which seems to be the direction Britain is heading in.
    Hope is the denial of reality

And I would agree with you, but it's not like this is fundamentally different from the other thread. It's about where a (democratic) society places the bar.

My point is that it stops being a democratic society after a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And I would argue that this is undemocratic/illiberal. But banning one narrow type of speech is still preferable to banning all controversial public speech, which seems to be the direction Britain is heading in.
    It's not just the type of speech; it's the “place” where the speech occurs. Wonder if Facebook can sue the British gummint for meddling
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-months.html

In case anyone thought the idiocy was restricted to posting on Facebook/Twitter.

In case anyone thought the idiocy was restricted to posting on Facebook/Twitter.
    The back would be illegal in a number of countries, though? Insulting an officer is generally not allowed. Anyway, it is a different law altogether.

Insulting a specific officer to his face is not allowed. Insulting the police definitely is. I don't see any specific threat there.

In case anyone thought the street was less public than facebook, or that there was only one law

Insulting a specific officer to his face is not allowed. Insulting the police definitely is. I don't see any specific threat there.
    While on duty, yes. Wearing it and showing it to a cop, on duty, would be insulting.

Heaven forfend that people we entrust to enforce the law and protect us have a thick skin.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Wearing a t-shirt saying "one less pig" hours after 2 cops get murdered would be bad enough, but it also on the back arguably could be considered threatening "kill a cop 4 fun.co.uk"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Wearing a t-shirt saying "one less pig" hours after 2 cops get murdered would be bad enough, but it also on the back arguably could be considered threatening "kill a cop 4 fun.co.uk"?
    Bad enough in what way? It's highly insulting, sure. You want to make insults illegal? And the second part is so vague that there's no way to constitute it as a specific threat.

Again there are universally laws regarding certain types of harrassment and the latter could arguably be considered incitement to violence anyway.

But no I don't want insults to be illegal. Currently grossly offensive insults ARE illegal though.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Harassment needs a specific victim, be directed at that victim, and be a whole pattern of behavior. Incitement to violence must be clear in terms of the target and in terms of the threat. There's absolutely no harassment case to be made him. The incitement to violence case would be on incredibly shake grounds.

I wonder how long before criticizing unions or Islamism becomes "grossly offensive". It already is in certain university campuses in Britain.

As soon as possible, hopefully. Then people might go "this is fucking stupid" and roll it back.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I wonder how long before criticizing unions or Islamism becomes "grossly offensive". It already is in certain university campuses in Britain.
    The latter already is.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    As soon as possible, hopefully. Then people might go "this is fucking stupid" and roll it back.
    Unless asking for it to be rolled back is also considered grossly offensive.

We'll have to get meta and say that saying things are grossly offensive is grossly offensive.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I honestly think Britain is slowly headed in that direction. There's little if any public reaction to these ridiculous prosecutions. It's only a matter of time before the government (or some bureaucrats) decide that even stricter restrictions are called for.

You've been sure Britain is about to become a police state for years now, though.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

No, I've been saying it's becoming more of one. The kind of prosecutions you're having now would be unthinkable 5 years ago.

I honestly think Britain is slowly headed in that direction. There's little if any public reaction to these ridiculous prosecutions. It's only a matter of time before the government (or some bureaucrats) decide that even stricter restrictions are called for.
    Bah humbug, as much as its fun to draw parallels to 1984 the reality is that in this era of the internet there's never been freer or more diverse speech than there is now.

20 years ago it was illegal for the TV channels to broadcast IRA/Sinn Fein spokesmen's voices so they would be dubbed with their faces but someone else reading the words.
    30 years ago there was only the BBC and a single other TV Channel ITV.
    40 years ago the BBC had a monopoly on legal radio.

The Twitter Bomb joke trial, which was sort of the first of the 'incredibly dumb prosecutions over things said on twitter' was in 2009. Three years ago. So I hardly think that's accurate.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

20 years ago it was illegal for the TV channels to broadcast IRA/Sinn Fein spokesmen's voices so they would be dubbed with their faces but someone else reading the words.
    That was funny as hell.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Bah humbug, as much as its fun to draw parallels to 1984 the reality is that in this era of the internet there's never been freer or more diverse speech than there is now.

30 years ago there was only the BBC and a single other TV Channel ITV.
    40 years ago the BBC had a monopoly on legal radio.
    There's a slight difference between overreacting against an enemy trying to destroy you and overreacting over any average citizens saying something offensive. As for a lack of TV and radio channels, newspapers still existed (and were far more popular than they are now).

The Twitter Bomb joke trial, which was sort of the first of the 'incredibly dumb prosecutions over things said on twitter' was in 2009. Three years ago. So I hardly think that's accurate.
    What's inaccurate? You're supporting my statement. This kind of behavior only started 3 years ago.

No, I've been saying it's becoming more of one. The kind of prosecutions you're having now would be unthinkable 5 years ago.
    I forget, when did Facebook and Twitter really take off?

What's inaccurate? You're supporting my statement. This kind of behavior only started 3 years ago.
    That such prosecutions were 'unthinkable' five years ago.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

People have been saying all kinds of insane stuff on the internet for more than a decade. Myspace and Facebook were pretty big since at least 2006.

That such prosecutions were 'unthinkable' five years ago.
    And yet who predicted it? The police state comments were always directed at how heavily monitored the British people were, not at how little free speech meant to your government.

There's a slight difference between overreacting against an enemy trying to destroy you and overreacting over any average citizens saying something offensive. As for a lack of TV and radio channels, newspapers still existed (and were far more popular than they are now).
    Its not that TV and radio diversity didn't exist due to a lack of technology/demand, they were simply illegal and "pirate radio" like Radio Caroline was fought against. On the subject of radio, punk rock songs that would be positively mild by today's standards (think anything by the Sex Pistols etc) were banned from broadcast years ago. Its possible to hear God Save The Queen (Its a fascist regime) on the radio or online now, unlike before. Just because newspapers existed did not mean that a newspaper would publish "one pig down, kill cops 4 fun" does it?

Are you seriously saying that there is less free speech today than any era ever before just because ofnewspapers? Seriously?

There is more free speech today than EVER before. New laws are trying to handle people trying to push the limits of that.