Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gillette goes full SJW, attacks white men

#triggered
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The good thing about this commercial is the conversations about/around it. Nobody ever thinks they "need to be told", but, at the same time, the world clearly does not look like a world where everyone goes around being their best selves without needing to be told--or engaging in deeper reflection or whatever form of feedback/calibration you prefer. Adverts aren't targeted, so, if you truly feel in your heart that you "don't need to be told", and that the issues being discussed truly have nothing at all to do with you, then it's safe for you to presume the advert is not directed at you. It's nothing to get affronted over. But provoking a discussion among men about the questionable and perhaps even harmful aspects of our conception of masculinity, our automatic behaviours etc, that's a good thing. We have to be able to think & talk about these things w/out getting all "HOW DARE YOU".

Hm. In my view if you act like a dick this advert will do nothing to stop you acting like a dick. If you are a dick then there is maybe a fleeting chance that the less dickish amongst those a dick may surround themselves with having a little influence in curbing said dickish behaviour. A patronising advert will not.

If you're not a dick then the advert is frankly rather mystifying and certainly pointless.

Fostering or provoking discussion is all well and good, but I don't see this advert making a damned bit of difference in actuality. I don't see anyone here or elsewhere actually questioning self-motives or self-behaviour as a result. All I see is you're triggered or you're a snowflake.

Actual, real, meaningful influence which has the reach to manifest real change in ones behaviour is brought on by actual events in ones life as reflected by and discussed within ones circle of peers and family. TV, movies, books, even adverts, while capable of provoking interesting discussion, will not stop a dick being a dick.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 01-19-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

On reflection. That may be too harsh an assessment.

TV, movies, books, adverts are a reflection of who we are. Maybe I go too far in separating the events in ones life reflected (or calibrated to use your words) by ones peers having an influence on ones behaviour from the reflection or calibration from TV, books etc. I suppose it all is a form of calibration. It just becomes a question of degree or extent of calibration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Hm. In my view if you act like a dick this advert will do nothing to stop you acting like a dick. If you are a dick then there is maybe a fleeting chance that the less dickish amongst those a dick may surround themselves with having a little influence in curbing said dickish behaviour. A patronising advert will not.

If you're not a dick then the advert is frankly rather mystifying and certainly pointless.
    I'll be honest: I disagree with almost every element of this analysis. The idea is not to impose a dick/non-dick dichotomy on the conversation; to the extent that you can categorize behaviour into such distinct categories, most of us display elements of both types of behaviour, frequently unconsciously--we are Schrödinger's dicks, and we are surrounded not by people who either are or aren't dickish but by people who are both, to varying extents, not only b/c of personality or innate nature but b/c of a lifelong process of socialization into a toxic and stifling culture of masculinity that is increasingly out of step with our world.

The ad identifies some of the attitudes and behaviours that many of us can see in ourselves and in our friends--either now or in the past--if we look closely and are completely honest, eg. "boys will be boys", laughing off grossly sexist humour, "explaining" what women are saying etc. If anything, it doesn't go far enough in challenging us. Provoking a discussion about these things--and challenging men to be better role models for boys--is a good thing. Whenever we examine our behaviour critically, there's a potential for improvement. Where you see a patronizing ad, I see something quite moving: a classic masculine institution inviting men of all ages to give voice to their inner misgivings about the problems with our culture's take on masculinity. It is liberating.

Fostering or evoking discussion is all well and good, but I don't see this advert doing that at all. I don't see anyone here or elsewhere actually questioning self-motives or self-behaviour as a result. All I see is you're triggered or you're a snowflake.
    I think we have to be careful to not mistake what we happen to see or not see with what is actually happening or not happening. I've been seeing these discussions everywhere over the past few years, in meat-life: at work, among my mates, among my younger siblings and in their peer-groups, on the news, in news media, on social media, in commercials and movies and TV shows. Most of us see only a small part of everything that's going on in the world, and our perception is limited by the particulars of our circumstances as well as by our resp. idiosyncrasies. I can't say why you haven't yet noticed these trends, but I'm confident that you will, because the world is changing, slowly but very surely

On reflection. That may be too harsh an assessment.

TV, movies, books, adverts are a reflection of who we are. Maybe I go too far in separating the events in ones life reflected (or calibrated to use your words) by ones peers having an influence on ones behaviour from the reflection or calibration from TV, books etc. I suppose it all is a form of calibration. It just becomes a question of degree or extent of calibration.
    Yes, we learn from and change in response to a wide variety of influences

Nah it's silly. I don't need to be told how I should behave by a condescending tv advert. I find it patronising.
    Patronising but not offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

What's all the fuss? Gillette's motto was "the best a man can GET". They modified it to "the best a man can BE". (Probably to tap into ethical activism which might 'elevate' their product to a certain demographic.) It's done all the time, from cars to dish soap. If it sparks controversy/conversation and gets their brand 'trending', all the better. Marketing 101?

Besides, there's a lot of competition in men's grooming products, especially razors. Shave 'clubs' and home delivery, etc. It's incredible how much razor blades cost these days!

Yeah, but he's 'sporting' facial hair so....haha

Men's facial hair is fascinating history. I can remember when only 'liberals' would wear beards, or growing one was something 'conservatives' would do on vacation (and shave it off before going back to work).

The military has a weird focus on men's facial hair, and its policies are still loaded with social connotations. Mustaches can still evoke subconscious reminders of evil dictators; not shaving in the field can mean a soldier has gone 'rogue'.

But now there's Ted Cruz with a video on "how to grow a beard". Step one: throw away the razor.
    Last edited by GGT; 01-20-2019 at 01:40 AM.

Hair is, indeed, a political "thing" because it's always been a social and cultural "thing".

I'm reminded of that because hair has always been a "thing" of value to women. Poor women would sell their hair to wig-makers, who'd then sell that to wig-wearing legislators, an ultimate irony.

Women would save the hair of dead soldiers, and weave that into memorial wreaths during war times. A lock of hair was considered special and had sentimental value.

Women shaving their armpits or legs wasn't always a 'universally shared' ideal of female beauty. But it became an American grooming routine, and changed the definition of beauty in just one generation. (The only hair my grandmothers shaved or plucked were their eyebrows.) Now we have 'spas' that remove pubic hair, or shape it into "strips" considered sexually appealing.

All this hair shaping and removal, and its tools, shouldn't be just for women to reflect their image to the world. It's the new modern age for men, too. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    People are just tired of being lectured at
    Which people Lewk?
    People who want to act like scumbags without facing any consequences?
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    Which people Lewk?
    People who want to act like scumbags without facing any consequences?
    It's especially funny when scumbags like Lewk proclaim their undying love for their Lord and Saviour Jesus who basically ran on the same message as Gillette: "Don't be an asshat."

I posit that all CINOs like Lewk will be slapped around a bit by God and then thrown into the deepest pit of Hell for doing the complete opposite of what Jesus told them. It never ceases to amaze me how they're able to just plain ignore fundamental messages like "Love Thy Enemy".
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I wonder if these people also tell their pastors to stop preaching at them.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    I can't imagine living life this insecure. jesus fucking christ

Also, I suspect in true lewk fashion he wouldn't have the same response if the gun owners aren't white "christians"
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-20-2019 at 03:21 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

To be fair, all those kids are holding their fingers on/around the triggers which is a no no. Then again, I think those guns are fake?

Love Popehat.

First minute was awful. Second minute was funny.

I think (hope?) Gillette made a deliberate choice based on market data about their highest-value customers, and chose to polarize their userbase based on that. Their wet dream is for Gillette to be a status symbol of some sort, as that would support a price premium that they seem less able to charge based on perceived quality.

Surprised their parent company tried something like this! Too bad I believe they don't break-out brand-specific earnings.

Gillette have had bucketloads of free publicity and for anyone who isn't a complete dick, the idea of saying 'don't be a dick' is not upsetting.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Some people seem to believe there are less-dickish ways to say "don't be a dick".

Which people Dread?
    Is it the people who want to carry on being a dick?
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I wonder if these people also tell their pastors to stop preaching at them.
    Ah so you admit the ad is a company trying to preach to its customers? Your words not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Gillette have had bucketloads of free publicity and for anyone who isn't a complete dick, the idea of saying 'don't be a dick' is not upsetting.
    You do realize most people disliked the ad right? Youtube has an almost 2-1 dislike ratio for it.

Question RB - do you believe sexism is just as bad as racism? IE that an advert directed at black people or Hispanics or Jews asking them to be better is just as acceptable or unacceptable as an advert asking a gender to be better?

Claiming YouTube isn't overrun with dicks is not an argument you're going to win, at any level.

Even if we sink to Lewk's level, since he doesn't seem to understand the difference between impressions and activity, the dislike total is less than 5% of the total view count.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-22-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Half the ratio of dislikes to views as YouTube Rewind for example. There's been a campaign by ludicrous idiots on reddit and in MRA circles to make it one of the most disliked videos ever. These people are just so easily triggered that it's almost sad.

You do realize most people disliked the ad right? Youtube has an almost 2-1 dislike ratio for it.

Question RB - do you believe sexism is just as bad as racism? IE that an advert directed at black people or Hispanics or Jews asking them to be better is just as acceptable or unacceptable as an advert asking a gender to be better?
    No I realise most people pathetic enough to click thumbs up or thumbs down did but you realise that's not most people right?

I'll answer my question when you answer mine.
    Do you have an issue with "black, fatherless kids" because they are black? Or because they are fatherless?

No I realise most people pathetic enough to click thumbs up or thumbs down did but you realise that's not most people right?

I'll answer my question when you answer mine.
    I don't have an issue with black fatherless kids outside of the human suffering it has caused. I don't think "racial groups" should "police" their own or any of that stupid nonsense. If two people share a skin color that doesn't make them responsible for each other. Ditto for gender. Choices however do - which is why asking moderate Muslims to speak out against the crazy jihadist Muslims is a whole different story. The purpose of bringing up the example is to showcase how obviously bad it would be for a razor company to make an ad like that.

Claiming YouTube isn't overrun with dicks is not an argument you're going to win, at any level.

Even if we sink to Lewk's level, since he doesn't seem to understand the difference between impressions and activity, the dislike total is less than 5% of the total view count.
    That vast majority of all of YouTube videos have a positive ratio of likes vs. dislikes.

the vast majority don't ask the scum of youtube for self reflection

That vast majority of all of YouTube videos have a positive ratio of likes vs. dislikes.
    Except the ones that trigger thin-skinned conservative snowflakes.

Theres an entire wikipedia article on how useless the dislike count is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...YouTube_videos

Theres an entire wikipedia article on how useless the dislike count is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...YouTube_videos
    How so?