Thread: Satisfactory

Default Satisfactory

Satisfactory, the next impending game that's got my excited bits ... excited.

A 3d Factorio, in first person perspective, with added awesome.

Funky trailer:

... and a short compilation of videos from alpha testers.

The game would appear to have great scale.

Note that for some corporate reasons that I can't be bothered to get into the publisher has pulled out from releasing on Steam and will instead be available on Epic, which I have not used before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Early access scares me, so you'll have to let me know how it is.

Will do

I managed to get an alpha test key for this weekend too which is a bit of a lottery I understand so not too many have one. Not something I normally go for - I only signed up to get the newsletter

Won't be using it though as I'm in the throes of getting my house extended and renovated atm so am moving in with friends this weekend, so gametime is restricted.

Will get some gametime though once the actual EA kicks off, and report back.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Epic store - that's a hard pass. I won't trust those guys with my financial data anytime soon.

Plus, their attitude stinks.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Played a good 40 or 50 hours now.

There are three maps available currently, I've only played the first. Have unlocked all research and automated manufacture of all available items.

The roadmap has two main content updates coming, the first in a couple of days by end of April, the second due end of May. I'll return to the game and start from scratch with each update.

Thoughts

- Slick playability, slick interface, slick design

- Immersion is excellent - makes you feel like you have been dropped into an alien world

- Placing manufacture machines and laying out conveyors and other logistical items is a little fiddly, it's nowhere near as easy as top-down Factorio, but to be expected as Satisfactory is FPS. They have tried to make it easier - you are given placement towers which you can climb to give you height so you can plan and lay out production chains more easily. Everything can be placed from a distance.

- Production chains are good and make sense. They aren't as complex as those in Factorio, but I think they are right for this game.

- Logistics are not as good nor as complex as Factorio. I often felt myself hankering after the Inserters, which were so central to Factorio. Satisfactory gives you conveyor belt splitters and mergers, but no Inserters whatsoever. I felt this impeded my ability to move items around as efficiently as I would like. I will state though that I have not spent much time optimising my layout and my production chains - there are likely clever ways to optimise that I haven't thought of. Looking at incredibly large and complex designs on youtube etc would deem efficient optimisation possible. My efforts are small and inefficient by comparison so far.

- What is available does work well. Assemblers and manufacturing machines are well designed and it is certainly satisfying to get a good layout and efficient production chain.

- The fact that it is FPS and 3d is utilised well. Stackable conveyors upwards to the nth degree are possible. Intertwining spaghetti layouts of conveyers in all directions becomes the norm. It is here where Satisfactory really excels, and is where it is markedly different from Factorio. It's great at the late game when you get a jet pack too.

- Progression is steady and feels right - advances and researching new items is challenging and takes time, but also is not obstructively difficult

- Moving items from great distance is very well designed. You have two differing transport trucks which you can research. You build a truck station at a discovered resource deposit which gives you a raw resource you need but might be a great distance from your main assemblies. You build a second truck station at your main assembly, then, like a macro, record your driving route to the resource truck station and return again. Set the truck to automated and it follows the recorded route , collecting the required resource. This works very well. It is aspects like this which really drives immersion, you sometimes have to travel and explore great distances through challenging landscape to find needed resource. Update #2 in May brings trains too.

- Exploration is good. You do need to venture out from your main assembly/starting area to find things, and in the earlier parts of the game to manually collect resource. You occasionally stumble across random things, like crashed spaceship blackboxes or harddrives for instance, which you can then research to find new stuff.

- There is alien fauna, but these are fairly sparse and don't pose much threat. I feel this needs to be worked on and improved - alien life should pose a threat to your presence on their planet, like in Factorio. This would give added playability to this game - you are provided with weaponry which advances through the research chain, so it would be nice to have increasing threat to use your advancing weaponry against. There are no station defences or gun turrets or the like - alien fauna does not threaten your infrastructure, they will generally just attack you. Running them down with transport is fun though.

- Relatively bug-free in present state. Slight issues with items being lost on save-games which is probably patched since I last played a few weeks ago.

My view is it is easily worth the 26.99 or $29.95 asking price. A ton of very good game here for the money.

Last edited by Timbuk2; 04-27-2019 at 09:06 AM.

How big are the maps? I was kinda hoping for an infinite world like Factorio.

Certainly big, but finite.

Factorio maps are procedurally generated, the 3 Satisfactory maps are designed and built.

I have not reached a boundary, but my exploration in the one map I've played is by no means extensive.

Regardless, it is certainly big enough that you don't feel at all constrained.

I'm sure further maps beyond the 3 available in EA so far will be provided in future updates. Modded maps would undoubtedly follow too if indeed modding is added in the future.