Thread: The creeping terror of white supremacism in law enforcement and the armed forces

Default The creeping terror of white supremacism in law enforcement and the armed forces

A white nationalist lieutenant in the coast guard was arrested a week and a half ago, on charges of illegal drugs & weapons possessions that his writings suggest he may have procured in preparation of a Breivik-inspired terrorist attack (possibly targeting people on a list he'd compiled of Democratic politicians and non-right-wing journalists):

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...stic-terrorist

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rror-feds-say/

Given that this has many of the hallmarks of a domestic terrorist plot, it's a little surprising that it wasn't publicized until someone at George Washington University’s Program on Extremism uncovered the filing, but, now that it's out there, I think it may be time to once again revisit the threat represented by white supremacists in law enforcement and in the armed forces.

The problem isn't unique to the US; in recent years, there have been stories about WS & neo-Nazi groups in the armed forces in eg the UK and in Germany as well. In the US, this threat predates the MAGA era by many years; over a decade ago, the FBI and the DHS warned about the growing risk of infiltration of law enforcement bodies by these groups, as well as of recruitment among both current members & returning members of the armed forces, in reports that appears to have been (largely) ignored except for by some journalists and people with a special interest in RW extremism, eg:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/m...far-right.html

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/07/66521...ight-extremism

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...aw-enforcement

While the FBI at least seems to have been covertly tracking the activities of some of these groups & individuals, some analysts believe the US's counter-terrorism competence wrt domestic [para]military RW extremism is inadequate, and has been harmed by decades of neglect, allowing these movements to become a more severe and more widespread threat.

I can't help but think that the public is still far too complacent about this problem, something I believe is indicated by the continuing rise in violent war-themed rhetoric about civil war and calls for stockpiling weapons that regularly feature even in mainstream RW media.

How can we best tackle these problems? What strategies are likely to work? Is it too late to do anything meaningful?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

One very important thing to do would be to not overreact. Be measured and contained in responses, particularly if this sort of thing has strong white-supremacist influences, considering the current play of material in the BLM theme. Because one thing you really really want to avoid is broadening the radicalization.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

One very important thing to do would be to not overreact.
    lol centrism
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post

How can we best tackle these problems? What strategies are likely to work? Is it too late to do anything meaningful?
    Be helpful if people stuck to only calling out actual white supremacists and neo-Nazis as opposed to anyone to the right of Biden.

Generally speaking, people should always be encouraged to follow the guideline of "see something, say something." The whole "don't call the police if you are concerned" and "snitches get stitches" mentality needs to be throw out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    people should always be encouraged to follow the guideline of "see something, say something." The whole "don't call the police if you are concerned" and "snitches get stitches" mentality needs to be throw out.
    What Lewk wants: An army of BBQ Beckys.

What Lewk likes to ignore: All of the extremist killings in the US in 2018 had links to Lewks.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    What Lewk wants: An army of BBQ Beckys.

What Lewk likes to ignore: All of the extremist killings in the US in 2018 had links to Lewks.
    The problem as always is if a person kills and happens to be right wing it is "right wing extremism." If a person kills and happens to be left wing it is regular old crime. Similar to the idea that if a Muslim terrorist kills it isn't Muslim terrorism it is "work place violence."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The problem as always is if a person kills and happens to be right wing it is "right wing extremism." If a person kills and happens to be left wing it is regular old crime. Similar to the idea that if a Muslim terrorist kills it isn't Muslim terrorism it is "work place violence."
    One problem is clear: people like you not believing the data or its conclusions. Going a step farther by suggesting an anti-right wing bias (or even a conspiracy) is just as bad. Can't address a problem you don't think exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I don't think it's too late, but it will take time.

IMO this is ultimately a cultural problem (the hardest thing to change) that can be traced back to traditionally male-dominated groups, and how they learned to define things like power, chain of command, loyalty, fraternity, etc. Physical punishment was so frequently used in initiations (hazing) that humiliation wasn't just overlooked but expected and accepted.

It's almost impossible to screen-out individuals with a pathological bend, when the culture of police/military has built-in internal conflicts. That thin blue line where cops look the other way during police brutality. The military that ignores rape or sexual assault among its ranks. Making excuses for "bad behavior" is an old tradition used for "building teamwork". If you report a fellow cop/soldier for *anything*, you're undermining the unit. If your complaints are exposed, you're a snitch/rat/traitor, and YOU will be punished.

Whistleblowers are not welcomed. MYOB. That part of the police/military culture needs to be changed, too.

Only tangentially related, but interesting to see how the Army deals with someone engaging in shall we say inappropriate conduct:

Wow, the left is crazy

Thread:

Everyone expected cops & current military to be among the insurrectionists, but still helpful to get some corroboration.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...hed-the-senate

Reason to believe many current and former LEOs and even military derpheads participated in the attack on the Capitol. Some of these people might be court martialed, I guess? Anyway, very disturbing. This dumbass was easily caught, but I suspect many others were more careful about masking their identity.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-poli...p-riot/9448446

Head of the Chicago police union defending the rioters. Who killed one officer, hospitalized 15, and injured more than 50. And that's just on the police casualties, which I assume as a police union head he's supposed to care about, and ignoring the blatant lie that there was no fighting and nothing was damaged.

Keep in mind he was elected last year, while being under investigation. For, among other things, saying muslims are savages who should be killed. And still they elected him..
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

They're everywhere:

You mean the 1st Amendment Protests where journalists where threatened and their equipment destroyed. That 1st Amendment Protests?
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Many of them sound like arseholes that should be fire promptly.

However the MAGA hat one turned out to be a very heroic black cop who singlehandedly went into the mob to rescue his trapped colleagues and quite possibly saved lives with his actions and not a white supremacist. I posted about it on the Proud Boys thread, watch this video its pretty cool. Glad someone caught all of it on camera.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-55700011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/18/polit...ded/index.html

Several Capitol police officers suspended and under investigation.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!