Identity Politics isn't a new thing. But how we view ourselves, and what we think about our *identity* is influencing politics and policies in new ways.

I'm disappointed that identity is being used to divide people into smaller groups, for political purposes. That's where nativism and tribalism thrives, along with racism and sexism, and all the other negative -isms rooted in fear and phobias that can wreck societies.

I'm tired of identity tropes like "American Values", as if the US wrote the book on human ethics. Ditto for Christian-based "Faith and Family Values", as if no Muslim or Hindu values their religion or family, and no atheist could have values in the first place.

I'm sad that cultural differences are now treated as divisions, instead of strength by diversity. It just doesn't make sense, because we are all an amalgamation, nations of mutts and hybrids and half-breeds. Why can't we agree that we're all part of the same family, the human species, and treat each other with dignity and respect?

Why is it even acceptable to de-humanize others for political gain? And who wants to *identify* with that group anyway?