Thread: The True Face of Tucker Carlson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    fuck this and fuck you. These are people's lives that are needlessly being upended, and sometimes ended, for mere political points. You don't come in here pretending to be on some sort of high horse complaining about decency because the side you favor had language used against it, that itself has used (and worse) for years.
    Are you done? I don't favor any mainstream political party. Republicans are wrong on immigration - period. That is what I have said in the past and will continue to say in years to come.

People can be wrong about a topic - deeply and horribly wrong - and still be human. They can support policies I believe to be bad, even harmful, and still deserve basic decency and respect. They can be racists, misogynists, murderers and rapists and still have humanity. I find it deeply unsettling that people can in one breath push for more humane, decent, and compassionate treatment of convicted criminals, and in the next treat their fellow citizens that they have policy disagreements with as an enemy to be fought tooth and nail. And it is unsettling not because criminals aren't deserving of basic respect and understanding, but because we should be going out of our way to treat everyone that way, especially the people we disagree with. It is foundational to having a functioning society. It is the same thing I tell my children every night before I put them to bed. It is important to be kind and respectful not just to those who make it easy to be kind and respectful to, but to show kindness and respect to everyone - including those who are not being kind to you. I don't view basic respect and decency as belonging to or springing from a high horse - it is a birthright that belongs to everyone.

The fact that you somehow missed that much of this was happening under the Obama administration (mass deportations - people's lives being upended, children in cages, poor conditions in detention facilities, and yes, even family separations though admittedly not to the same scale and not as a matter of policy) does point to this being used as an opportunity for scoring political points.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    You think Minx wants to illegally enter the U.S?
    I think Minx wants to believe that his ideological opposition aren't just wrong, misguided, or mistaken. They are evil, and because they are evil -ists anything and everything is fair game when it comes to how to confront and deal with them. It isn't bad to hate them, it is good. It isn't bad to think of them as less than human, it is what they deserve. It is not just self-serving, it is self-destructive. This is the same road that leads to dangerous Lewk thinking, a path that I have seen Minx veering down for some time now.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 08-13-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Are you done? I don't favor any mainstream political party. Republicans are wrong on immigration - period. That is what I have said in the past and will continue to say in years to come.

People can be wrong about a topic - deeply and horribly wrong - and still be human. They can support policies I believe to be bad, even harmful, and still deserve basic decency and respect. They can be racists, misogynists, murderers and rapists and still have humanity. I find it deeply unsettling that people can in one breath push for more humane, decent, and compassionate treatment of convicted criminals, and in the next treat their fellow citizens that they have policy disagreements with as an enemy to be fought tooth and nail. And it is unsettling not because criminals aren't deserving of basic respect and understanding, but because we should be going out of our way to treat everyone that way, especially the people we disagree with. It is foundational to having a functioning society. It is the same thing I tell my children every night before I put them to bed. It is important to be kind and respectful not just to those who make it easy to be kind and respectful to, but to show kindness and respect to everyone - including those who are not being kind to you. I don't view basic respect and decency as belonging to or springing from a high horse - it is a birthright that belongs to everyone.

The fact that you somehow missed that much of this was happening under the Obama administration (mass deportations - people's lives being upended, children in cages, poor conditions in detention facilities, and yes, even family separations though admittedly not to the same scale and not as a matter of policy) does point to this being used as an opportunity for scoring political points.

I think Minx wants to believe that his ideological opposition aren't just wrong, misguided, or mistaken. They are evil, and because they are evil -ists anything and everything is fair game when it comes to how to confront and deal with them. It isn't bad to hate them, it is good. It isn't bad to think of them as less than human, it is what they deserve. It is not just self-serving, it is self-destructive. This is the same road that leads to dangerous Lewk thinking, a path that I have seen Minx veering down for some time now.
    This is a bad take, which you should delete.

There's no fucking obligation to show 'kindness and respect' to people who a) won't reciprocate and b) are actively harming others, if you want to take that kind of extreme pacifist position in your own day-to-day encounters that's your prerogative and, in a way, admirable (though a somewhat bizarre stance for some who advocates being allowed to carry weapons for self-defence) but you don't have a right to tell others they should respond that way.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come