Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrorist attack in Christchurch, at least 30 believed dead

Default Terrorist attack in Christchurch, at least 30 believed dead

https://www.news.com.au/world/pacifi...607a9ec426a734

Hinted about it on social media days before. Posted about it online moments before the shooting, and livestreamed much of it. 4 people arrested.
    Last edited by Aimless; 03-15-2019 at 06:37 AM.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Absolutely shocking act of terrorism.
    Congratulations America

At least 49 dead. Unbelievable statement even if you consider that this man is one of the most blatantly racist politicians in the anglosphere:

The killers "manifesto" is a contradictory mess that's full of meme copies and references while praising Trumps racism, it's like reading something that Lewk wrote.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It's really not though. People like Lewk help create the climate of dehumanization, but Lewk isn't actually a murderer or terrorist. People like Lewk prefer to have others, eg. an authoritarian govt, do the dirty work. Anyway, never mind Lewk, I'm more concerned about what this will mean for ordinary people in the west.

What a horrific tragedy and a senseless, cowardly terrorist attack. There are just no words.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Absolutely shocking act of terrorism.
    Are you really shocked? Because IMO it was just a matter of time. There are plenty of antecedents to point to - Utoya, Charleston, Pittsburgh.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Terrible tragedy and terrorist atrocity

Aimless WTAF!? That is an unbelievable response by that Senator. Worth noting that's the Senator who was famously elected after getting 19 votes in the entire state thanks to your beloved proportional voting system. 19 votes. Not 1900, not 19k but 19.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Are you really shocked? Because IMO it was just a matter of time. There are plenty of antecedents to point to - Utoya, Charleston, Pittsburgh.
    Something that was not totally unexpected? Yes. But all the same shocking because of its implications.
    Congratulations America

Amidst all the outpouring of support, we have this:

The killers "manifesto" is a contradictory mess that's full of meme copies and references while praising Trumps racism, it's like reading something that Lewk wrote.
    Excuse you but I'm not a fan of Spyro or Fornight. Not to mention the fact that outside of self defense of self or property the use of violence by private citizens is not acceptable.

No, you just support politicians who say Muslims don't belong, that they're trying to destroy the Western way of life, and then give any nutjob who wants one a semi-automatic gun. What can possibly go wrong.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    No, you just support politicians who say Muslims don't belong, that they're trying to destroy the Western way of life, and then give any nutjob who wants one a semi-automatic gun. What can possibly go wrong.
    Want to look at map Loki? This didn't happen in America.

I confess I'm a little puzzled by the difficulties YT seems to be having with keeping the attacker's video off the platform. Their algorithms can recognize a quick snippet of a song playing in the background of a video recorded with a shitty smartphone, so I'm not sure whether their difficulties are really technical in nature or whether they just reflect a decision not to prioritize this issue.

Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-16-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I confess I'm a little puzzled by the difficulties YT seems to be having with keeping the attacker's video off the platform. Their algorithms can recognize a quick snippet of a song playing in the background of a video recorded with a shitty smartphone, so I'm not sure whether their difficulties are really technical in nature or whether they just reflect a decision not to prioritize this issue.
    I wonder why this is such a big deal. People aren't going to find the video on YT unless they look for it. On the other hand if the want to look for it they don't need YT to find it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Want to look at map Loki? This didn't happen in America.
    It's almost as if there is a thing called the internet that people like this terrorist frequent.

Last edited by Loki; 03-17-2019 at 03:04 AM.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Well I imagine this is a case of Yes and No.

They're probably trying to prioritise the issue right now because its appalling.

They're probably not trying to prioritise the issue in the past because its rare.

The technology to recognise the music exists. The technology to recognise the shooting may not exist and so it may be difficult to play whack-a-mole with it.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Well I imagine this is a case of Yes and No.

They're probably trying to prioritise the issue right now because its appalling.

They're probably not trying to prioritise the issue in the past because its rare.

The technology to recognise the music exists. The technology to recognise the shooting may not exist and so it may be difficult to play whack-a-mole with it.
    The technology exists, though it may obviously need some tweaking. Facebook claims to have blocked 1.2 million out of 1.5 million removed videos at upload:

I see your absolute reference for freedom of speech only applies when you like them to apply.
    Last edited by Hazir; 03-17-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    Congratulations America

I see your absolute reference for freedom of speech only applies when you like them to apply.
    There's no freedom of speech on private platforms. If YT voluntarily decide to take down illegal/offensive videos then that's not a free speech issue.

I realize that. However it goes a lot further than that. I have no desire to see those images, but how come I can't readily see them if I wanted to?
    Congratulations America

What makes you think freedom of speech is absolute and without restriction? What makes you think one person's right to freedom of speech is permitted to infringe on others' rights to dignity and privacy? What makes you think that absolute freedom of speech applies to a private platform? It appears as if all you have to bring to the discussion are asinine straw man arguments that only expose your own lack of understanding.

What makes you think freedom of speech is absolute and without restriction? What makes you think one person's right to freedom of speech is permitted to infringe on others' rights to dignity and privacy? What makes you think that absolute freedom of speech applies to a private platform? It appears as if all you have to bring to the discussion are asinine straw man arguments that only expose your own lack of understanding.
    Yeah, whatever, you hypocrite.
    Congratulations America

Yeah, whatever, you hypocrite.
    Is it possible you've become selectively illiterate or is this yet another example of you confusing reality with imaginary conversations you've had in your own head? Either way, I have no intention of participating in your weird-ass borderline panto. When you're ready to discuss real conversations, let me know. If you just want to wank to your imaginary straw men, leave me out of it.

Speaking of freedom of speech how do you feel about NZ wanting data about who is uploading/downloading footage of the video on other platforms like kiwi farm?

Speaking of freedom of speech how do you feel about NZ wanting data about who is uploading/downloading footage of the video on other platforms like kiwi farm?
    He should be quite OK with it because freedom of speech is a human right he doesn't particularly value.
    Congratulations America

They'd have to justify it under their laws. Given that we're talking about identifying hundreds of thousands—if not millions—I don't think it sounds reasonable. More reasonable, both practically and legally, to target platforms. Spreading the video is a clear violation of privacy rights, but a dragnet that risks inaccurately identifying hundreds of thousands of people is also a violation of privacy rights from which there is little part be gained. Better to start requiring platforms to take responsibility for their content, and to encourage them to adhere to some of the same standards as publishers.

He should be quite OK with it because freedom of speech is a human right he doesn't particularly value.
    Your right to freedom of speech does not trump another person's right to privacy and dignity you ludicrous child.

Your right to freedom of speech does not trump another person's right to privacy and dignity you ludicrous child.
    It should do.