Thread: Notre Dame on fire

Default Notre Dame on fire

Doesn't look like much will survive from the iconic cathedral if anything. Tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Fire fighting comes across as completely inadequate.
    Congratulations America

Apparently they think the roof is so structurally unsound any more water would cause a collapse. Seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Did it not have sprinklers inside?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Looks like they think the main structure is going to stay intact
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Looks like they think the main structure is going to stay intact
    Yes, that's surprising isn't it ? It almost looks as if most of the damage is to the roof and much less so to the interior of the church. Though I wouldn't know how those high temperatures may have had an effect on the stones. I hope they consider installing sprinklers in the new roof.
    Congratulations America

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Apparently they think the roof is so structurally unsound any more water would cause a collapse. Seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place.
    And that's where President Moron in Chief of course came riding in, suggesting dropping tons of water from above.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    And that's where President Moron in Chief of course came riding in, suggesting dropping tons of water from above.
    Like drop water on fire was an original idea nobody had ever thought of!

Wasn't the wooden structure famous for having once been an 800 acre forest at the site?

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=62453875

Where will they get the wood this time?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

There is oak growing across France and across the world. I'm sure they'll manage.

Wow, I'm amazed at how much is left intact! Glad they were able to save many relics and art, good news amid tragedy.

It will be interesting to see if they decide on an exact historical replica or something else when they rebuild. And how they'll incorporate modern fire prevention tools into the design. Five years sounds way too optimistic, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Wasn't the wooden structure famous for having once been an 800 acre forest at the site?

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=62453875

Where will they get the wood this time?
    Do they absolutely have to use wood? Surely there are more fireproof materials available. It wouldn't be "authentic", but then again, wooden elements manufactured and installed using modern methods really aren't either. In either way, the best we can hope for is a structure that looks like the original. That could be achieved by other materials as well.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Do they need to use wood? That depends on who you ask. I personally think it's almost criminal to suggest cutting down hundreds of really old oaks just to please purists. They on the other hand think that anything else is tantamount to giving the Cathedral the final push.
    Congratulations America