Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Euro Elections 2019

I suspect that the turnout will be above average, especially for Euro Elections (especially since the only recent time they weren't held at the same time as the Locals turnout was just 24%).

Every time I vote I always ask the teller what turnout is like. When I voted in the locals last time he said it was slow, I was voter number 50 (for my ward). Today at same time he said it had been brisk, I was voter number 74. 50% increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I didn't even get a fucking 'i voted' sticker.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Interesting exit polls in Holland. Social Democrats came out first. The eurosceptics vote seems to have reached a plateau; the gains of the newest iteration are the exact same size as the losses of the Freedom Party.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's something that we've come to expect from the British administration. They couldn't organize getting laid in a brothel.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Interesting exit polls in Holland. Social Democrats came out first. The eurosceptics vote seems to have reached a plateau; the gains of the newest iteration are the exact same size as the losses of the Freedom Party.
    I thought we weren't allowed exit polls until Sunday?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    We aren't.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Well, it's also illegal for the president of a polling station to keep the vote secret in this country. So maybe they aren't allowed to voluntarily publish the results early, but all it takes is a single observer to ask.
    Congratulations America

Speak of which, I saw some Brexit Party chode waving a sign around when I was getting lunch today. Isn't that illegal? You're not supposed to campaign on election day. Or is that just a UK election thing?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Speak of which, I saw some Brexit Party chode waving a sign around when I was getting lunch today. Isn't that illegal? You're not supposed to campaign on election day. Or is that just a UK election thing?
    In the US, you just can't campaign within a certain distance from a polling station.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Its illegal inside the polling station. Outside is fine.

What a fucking circus:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonFRCo...49938943447050

Results should be challenged in court.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Its illegal inside the polling station. Outside is fine.
    Double-checked, you need to be 100 feet [which is not very far] away from the door that is the entrance to the polling station, nor causing an obstruction. So long as you're not causing an obstruction and are 100 feet or more away you're fine and that applies to the UK elections too.

In case I wasn't clear with the "We aren't" it is a British not a European law that we can't post exit polls until the polls close 10pm Sunday. The Dutch don't have the same law.

It's a hundred feet around here too. We have that spray painted into our property cause people are so fucking stupid. My work parking spot is literally right next to the boundary so I fully plan to paste a fuck Trump vinyl on my cars rear window during the next early voting round.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I would never put anything on my window. Only takes 1 moron to put a brick through it.

no doubt, his cult does has a history of violence but they're generally cowardly in small groups and we get special security during polling hours (due to the volume of foot traffic more than anything). Plus my desk overlooks the staff spots.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Shame about the disenfranchisement.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Shame about the disenfranchisement.
    I think turnout was also around 40% here.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Not even sure those turnout percentages take EU voters into account.

Local elections usually get about 35%. Since 2004 they've been coincided with the local elections.

In 1999 when they were last held separate (as they were this time) it was 24.0%

With data from a bit over a third of all councils, it appears so far that the turn out favours Remain:

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

No surprise at all. Many leave voters/Tories will have abstained, I nearly spoilt my ballot and took no pleasure voting the way I did. Again makes it all the more stupid that the Remain Parties couldn't form a Remain Alliance to fight Farage with. They'd have probably won this had they set their differences aside, especially with differential turnout. Instead the lesson of this is going to be a new PM seeking to win back people who voted for the Brexit Party.

I think it might be that old phenomena where the media coverage and the polls say so and so candidate is going to win, and so their supports don't bother going to the polls but their opponents say "fuck that guy" and turn out.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quite possibly. Though normally Tory voting voters like myself certainly didn't think the Tories would win. I and I imagine many usually Tory voters didn't think they deserved to either.

Well, I voted but I'm not happy.

It's early days yet but it looks like both Lab and Tories are being punished in equal measure. I thought Tories would get it a bit harder, since they're actually in government. Will this prompt Labour to develop an actual policy on Brexit?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Change UK really are the UKIP of Remainers. What the fuck are they even doing?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The final results in The Netherlands put the social democrats (PvdA) in first position with 6 seats, liberals (VVD) 4 seats, christian democrats (CDA) 4 seats, extreme right (FVD) 3 seats, greens (GL) 3 seats, liberal left (D66) 2 seats, christian conservatives (CU/SGP) 2 seats, animal rights (PvdD) 1 seat and pensioners (50plus) 1 seat.

Interestingly far right has done much worse than expected with the PVV disappearing altogether from the EP (down to 0 from 4), but on the other hand FVD with an outright hostile position towards the EU sails in with 3. Even though they too have been forced to eat their promise of a referendum on membership recently. They went from promising a referendum to considering a referendum. Nexit as such is a losing proposition, for all populists in the Netherlands.
    Congratulations America

Half of results in, and Brexit party cannot beat the combined results of LD+Greens alone, let along the SNP/CHUNK/PC, etc.

Mildly irked that Greens didn't beat Labour into 4th. Get it together, Lucus.
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 05-27-2019 at 12:39 AM.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come