Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: May's out. Who's in?

Is your definition of liberal incompetent and making stuff up? I mean it's got to be worrying when your likely next prime minister's plan for the most important thing he has top manage, is simply based on things that aren't true. Even if I don't agree with a politician, i prefer when they deal in reality.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    OK Mary Whitehouse whatever you say. What is this the 1950s?

Maybe I'm just more liberal than you but I quite consistently don't think that what happens in the bedroom has any bearing on politics.
    While I agree to a degree that there should exist a separation between a public servant's private life and his public one, when it is revealed that said public servant persists in lying and cheating in his private life, it says something about the character of the man and quite rightly raises questions about his ability to hold the office of PM.

A man should not lie and he should not cheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

OK Mary Whitehouse whatever you say. What is this the 1950s?

Maybe I'm just more liberal than you but I quite consistently don't think that what happens in the bedroom has any bearing on politics.
    A man who has secret children and mistresses is vulnerable to extortion. A man who lies, whether about his life or about political and legal matters—and Johnson has done both—cannot be trusted. A man who writes or publishes racist, misogynistic and homophobic articles cannot lead a diverse electorate. A man whose partner has to shout at him to get off of her and to get out of her flat is dodgy a f. These things are no less true today than they were in the 50s.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Yes completely pathetic. What a pair of pathetic curtain twitching creeps. Pathetic of the Guardian to stoop to such gutter tabloid journalism.
    Says the man quoting the Daily fucking Mail. Jesus wept.

Reports of Johnson and Bannon’s relationship were first published last summer. When asked about it at the time, Johnson said: “As for the so-called association with Steve Bannon, I’m afraid this is a lefty delusion whose spores continue to breed in the Twittersphere.”

He said he had met Bannon in his role as foreign secretary and found the accusation that he was ‘with Bannon’ to be ‘perplexing’.

A spokesman for Johnson said: “Any suggestion that Boris is colluding with or taking advice from Mr Bannon or Nigel Farage is totally preposterous to the point of conspiracy.”
    Why, looking back at Johnson's history of lying, ineptitude, contradictions, flip flopping on subjects and general lack of principles about anything, could any logical or sane person think there's even a shred of truth in what you've just quoted?

He cannot be trusted. He's a conniving little shit. Once again you show just how low your standards for MPs are.

Or PMs
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    A man who has secret children and mistresses is vulnerable to extortion.
    Only if he's trying to maintain a whiter than white public image. Boris doesn't.
    A man who lies, whether about his life or about political and legal matters—and Johnson has done both—cannot be trusted. A man who writes or publishes racist, misogynistic and homophobic articles cannot lead a diverse electorate.
    Boris doesn't do that. He is more liberal than most as recognised by PinkNews who recognised him as the leading Tory to come out in favour of equal marriage and has a positive record for equality. But you keep pushing this homophobic bullshit.
    A man whose partner has to shout at him to get off of her and to get out of her flat is dodgy a f.
    Couples fight. Not news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I think this applies to a few here: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/...ment-syndrome/

Can get around paywall by reading in Incognito Mode.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Mate, I don't know what fucked up dysfunctional experiences you've had, but if you're having fights with your partner where she has to shout at you to get off of her and get out of the house, so loudly that all your neighbors hear and are unsettled by it, perhaps you might want to consider a change of behavior.

I think this applies to a few here: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/...ment-syndrome/

Can get around paywall by reading in Incognito Mode.
    Toby Young is the dumbest commentator in British politics right now, and so I'm not surprised to see you so taken with his flavor of Breitbartian post-truth wankery. As you've made abundantly clear over the past three years, you're just Lewk with an English accent.

Mate, I don't know what fucked up dysfunctional experiences you've had, but if you're having fights with your partner where she has to shout at you to get off of her and get out of the house, so loudly that all your neighbors hear and are unsettled by it, perhaps you might want to consider a change of behavior.
    I've had that yes LOL, minus the get out of the house part as my wife does NOT want me to leave in the middle of the argument, her personality is she wants to have the argument there and then and doesn't want me to go. Maybe your relationship is all sweetness and rainbows and unicorns where you never have an argument. Good for you.

I've gotten into arguments with my wife before where I've pissed her off for something and she's shouting and to calm her down/apologise I've gone to give her a hug and she's shouted to get off. Multiple sources said that the loudest voice was hers and he was calmer AND the Police were there quickly and said there were no causes for concern so that is exactly what I imagine. He's spilt some wine, she's freaked out, he's gone to give her a hug probably and she's screamed at him to get off. Its the one thing that fits what literally everyone has said including the Police who told the creepy neighbour there were no concerns. Which is why the creep went to the Guardian to stir shit, because the Police were no longer interested as there was nothing to see there.

If he'd been "on her" in a bad way I think the Police would have had a reason to have concerns rather than saying there were no causes for concern before this creep leaked it to the Guardian.

Toby Young is the dumbest commentator in British politics right now, and so I'm not surprised to see you so taken with his flavor of Breitbartian post-truth wankery. As you've made abundantly clear over the past three years, you're just Lewk with an English accent.
    By dumbest commentator you mean he is a libertarian centre-right commentator who you don't agree with. Yes I do. Though it has f**k all to do with Breitbartian post-truth wankery, that is what you are engaging in trying to spin a lovers tiff into something akin to domestic violence when the Police who were there within 5 minutes of the tiff could see there was no reason to be concerned.

No comment on his lying and cheating then.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

The majority of women who are killed by their partners have previously been violently assaulted by the same partners, and often the police have failed to protect them, either due to ignorance and negligence, or because the victims have been unable to cooperate. The vast majority of rapes and other forms of assault never even come to the police's attention. I have no reason to believe Boris is in the habit of violently abusing his partner—one difference between him and Trump—but the reason you give for thinking all is well is just ridiculous. I have personally been involved in two cases where we were first assured all was well, only to find, later, that it was all but. In one of those cases, a child had been witness to the abuse. In addition to my own experiences, there is no shortage of news stories about women who are physically abused by their partners for long periods of time, sometimes with fatal outcomes, nor is there any shortage of women who are verbally and psychologically abused by their partners, with little done by the police. The police's assessment is not a reliable indicator of whether or not all is well. Your belief—that the police would have had reasons to be concerned if Johnson had indeed acted in an unacceptable manner—is simply wrong; had the police genuinely been concerned, it would probably have been for good reason, but their purported lack of concern is not dispositive either way.

By dumbest commentator you mean he is a libertarian centre-right commentator who you don't agree with. Yes I do. Though it has f**k all to do with Breitbartian post-truth wankery, that is what you are engaging in trying to spin a lovers tiff into something akin to domestic violence when the Police who were there within 5 minutes of the tiff could see there was no reason to be concerned.
    No, I mean he says dumb shit and lies for money, and is now peddling a slightly cleaned up version of Breitbartian bullshit that Trumpian suckers like you just lap right up.

I'm grateful for The Telegraph's consistent respect for politicians right to a private life. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...o-impress/amp/
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

The majority of women who are killed by their partners have previously been violently assaulted by the same partners, and often the police have failed to protect them, either due to ignorance and negligence, or because the victims have been unable to cooperate. The vast majority of rapes and other forms of assault never even come to the police's attention. I have no reason to believe Boris is in the habit of violently abusing his partner—one difference between him and Trump—but the reason you give for thinking all is well is just ridiculous. I have personally been involved in two cases where we were first assured all was well, only to find, later, that it was all but. In one of those cases, a child had been witness to the abuse. In addition to my own experiences, there is no shortage of news stories about women who are physically abused by their partners for long periods of time, sometimes with fatal outcomes, nor is there any shortage of women who are verbally and psychologically abused by their partners, with little done by the police. The police's assessment is not a reliable indicator of whether or not all is well. Your belief—that the police would have had reasons to be concerned if Johnson had indeed acted in an unacceptable manner—is simply wrong; had the police genuinely been concerned, it would probably have been for good reason, but their purported lack of concern is not dispositive either way.
    For you to lump this in with rapes and assaults etc is pretty sickening.

Yes the vast majority don't come to the attention of the Police but how often does a rape victim come into contact with the Police within 5 minutes and have the Police say afterwards "no cause for concern"? They were at the scene virtually live to the event effectively and without any evidence otherwise it is nothing more than a lovers quarrel.

Yeah something untoward is possible though given the total lack of evidence for that you could say that about literally anybody anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    I'm grateful for The Telegraph's consistent respect for politicians right to a private life. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...o-impress/amp/
    Can't wait for the right wing press to start moaning about the liberal bias in the media against poor Boris Johnson, as if they haven't done this to literally every Labour leader who wasn't Tony Blair.

I hope this contest gets a lot nastier before it's over. If I don't see headlines like "REVEALED: Boris Johnson can't have an orgasm unless he kills a dog" and "As health sectary, Jeremy Hunt diverted blood supplies from NHS patients so he could drink it" by the end, I won't be happy at all. Eat yourselves alive in a frenetic pursuit of a job literally none of your are capable of performing even adequately and which will only make you miserable, you stupid scumbags. A fitting headstone for the Tory party.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Aren't we going a little bit overboard here? We have no actual idea about the dynamics of the relationship we're talking about.

It's a little bit fast to deduct from a loud altercation that horrible things are certain to follow. The issue is less that Johnson and his partner were shouting at each other than that Johnson thinks he can decide which parts of his life should be above scrutiny at a time that he's trying to become the leader of his land. His refusal sheds doubt on his fitness for the job.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Aren't we going a little bit overboard here? We have no actual idea about the dynamics of the relationship we're talking about.

It's a little bit fast to deduct from a loud altercation that horrible things are certain to follow. The issue is less that Johnson and his partner were shouting at each other than that Johnson thinks he can decide which parts of his life should be above scrutiny at a time that he's trying to become the leader of his land. His refusal sheds doubt on his fitness for the job.
    I haven't drawn any firm conclusions about what actually happened or about the dynamics of their relationship; as you say, we don't know what those dynamics are. I was addressing the reasoning that everything must be okay if police think it's okay, and the view that the neighbor crossed a line by alerting the media.

The Police give us reason to believe that everything is OK or at least there's zero evidence to the contrary and they were there within 5 minutes.

If you have never had a loud argument with your significant other then good for you but its perfectly normal behaviour.

If you have never had a loud argument with your significant other then good for you but its perfectly normal behaviour.
    I don't feel confident making sweeping statements about what's normal within private relationships. How a couple communicate behind closed doors is inherently difficult for others to know. I can only go from what I have seen of my parents' relationship, the couples I house-shared with, and my own marriage. Based on that, a screaming row does not seem normal, it's something I've never had and have only ever seen once (a couple got very drunk at a NYE party and fell out over perceived interest in infidelity). I've been in one relationship for more than 20 years and we have only rarely raised our voices when disagreeing. A screaming row would therefore seem very unusual to me and I wouldn't hesitate to call the police if I thought there was a risk of it turning physical.

its not normal... conflict might be, but handling it so poorly that neighbors get involved is not...
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48744724

BREAKING: Boris to puss out of TV Debate, cowed by the force of personality of *checks notes* Jeremy Hunt
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48744724

BREAKING: Boris to puss out of TV Debate, cowed by the force of personality of *checks notes* Jeremy Hunt
    All you need to know about the state of English democracy right now: the frontrunner is a lying Trumpist chancer who can only be harmed by scrutiny and debate.

If this is how he deals with minor adversity, how will he react to a real crisis as PM? Is he going to hide for a week then, too?
    Last edited by Loki; 06-25-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Regrettably (and I don't agree with it) he is following a very long established tradition in British politics.

I'll call it - Boris will shout "fake news" and attack the media within 3 months of being PM.

RB will agree with Boris, and Trumpism in the UK will be fully established.

I think you overestimate RB's influence

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    I think you overestimate RB's influence
    Think he's accurately estimated RB's influenceability

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If this is how he deals with minor adversity, how will he react to a trail crisis as PM? Is he going to hide for a week then, too?
    Don't think this is a weak response to adversity so much as it is strategic leveraging of strength in a dysfunctional political system. Johnson can only be harmed by scrutiny and debate. He's using Trump's (and Bannon's) playbook, and the British counterparts of American Trumpists are loving it