Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: May's out. Who's in?

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    While I appreciate the attempt to Both Sides all over politics on this side of the pond as well, the reality is this: the Tories could have gotten either no deal or May's deal through if they'd actually been able to agree on either of those options, Labour couldn't have done a damn thing to stop them.
    Not true. The Tories don't have a majority in Parliament.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    If it was just the Tories inability to accomplish a damn thing, I wouldn't have made the comment. But unfortunately it wasn't. The British public has demonstrated that they're not any more coherent multiple times now. You're a democracy. I see the problems with your government as a symptom of your problems as an electorate. And as such, swapping out the parties isn't going to improve things, it's just going make them go wrong with entirely new splits.

At this point, what the EU ought to do is just call it quits, prep for the Hard Brexit and say "good riddance." Even if Labor or whomever manages to approve and ratify a deal (or some kind of non-Brexit) that the EU would find acceptable, it's just going to come with continued pain from trying to deal with the UK in general.
    Well said.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I don't normally respect May, but kudos here. This is how all western leaders greeting Putin should look.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Here, Rand, this is what your country has wrought. Despicable:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-refugee-tales
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Gosh.
    Yes. Their miserable failure to come to any kind of agreement internally over the last three years has finally pushed me to agree with your position Hazir.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

If it was just the Tories inability to accomplish a damn thing, I wouldn't have made the comment. But unfortunately it wasn't. The British public has demonstrated that they're not any more coherent multiple times now. You're a democracy. I see the problems with your government as a symptom of your problems as an electorate. And as such, swapping out the parties isn't going to improve things, it's just going make them go wrong with entirely new splits.
    It may be the asking a yes/no question in a referendum about a question which in reality has more than two possible answers is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Not true. The Tories don't have a majority in Parliament.
    I mean to say Tories + DUP but forgot to go back and change it.

I don't normally respect May, but kudos here. This is how all western leaders greeting Putin should look.
    Donald Tusk also had a good one: "Whoever claims that liberal democracy is obsolete also claims that freedoms are obsolete, that the rule of law is obsolete and that human rights are obsolete.", which is Eurocrat-speak for "Aw, shut your mouth Vladimir Putin"
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Yes. Their miserable failure to come to any kind of agreement internally over the last three years has finally pushed me to agree with your position Hazir.
    And now ~60% support Trump-lite. My opinion of the British electorate is now the same as that of the Greek one.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Trump lite is hyperbolic.

Yes, he often is.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Well said.
    Gosh.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    Yes, he often is.
    Well played. All form, no substance, except the form is itself a joke.

Ballot papers arrived with the members today. A significant proportion of votes will be filled in today. To coincide both candidates had headlining interviews with papers.

Boris chose to go with increasing Police numbers, with a target of 20,000 new Police officers.

Hunt chose to go with fox hunting, with a target of overturning the ban on fox hunting to legalise hunting with hounds again.

WTF!? Oh and while it may be a stereotype that Tories hunt, the polling evidence is that two-thirds of Tories view it as cruel and want it to be illegal. As do I.

I know someone who voted Remain in the referendum and has been a die hard opponent of Boris who has been looking forward to voting for Hunt who is furious with him for this and is considering voting for Boris as he can't endorse cruelty to animals like this.

Shouldn't the talking point for both be Brexit plans and strategy anyway? There's literally nothing more important than that right now. Plus, you're not having new elections for the house so why are they even campaigning on things like this.

Edit: and if Brexit is mishandled and the economy goes to shit good luck paying for 20.000 new police officers.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Brexit has been the main talking point of course but they're both claiming the same policy (negotiate a solution to backstop, no deal as last resort if necessary). However who wins won't just become Minister for Brexit they are going to become Prime Minister so policies for all subjects matter.

Wanna bet?

LOL, the news in the UK is the potential candidacy of Osborne for the IMF. Talk about a dead cat.
    Last edited by Hazir; 07-04-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    Congratulations America

Someone had fun with that headline
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Looks like Johnson is cool with customs borders within the UK after all:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham...t-company-free

Perhaps NI should just pay off the prospective PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    That bodes very ill of Theresa May and nobody else if there is any truth to that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Looks like Johnson is cool with customs borders within the UK after all:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham...t-company-free

Perhaps NI should just pay off the prospective PM.
    Sounds like a good proposal. Places like Liverpool and Grimsby could really benefit from this.

I'm a long term fan of the idea of a Singapore Brexit.

I too am a fan of unicorns.

Though I applaud Johnson's decision to permit a backstop for NI, I must confess I'm beginning to suspect he may be dumb as shit:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-learn-english

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I too am a fan of unicorns.

Though I applaud Johnson's decision to permit a backstop for NI, I must confess I'm beginning to suspect he may be dumb as shit:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-learn-english
    WTF are you talking about? The backstop for NI isn't mentioned in that link.

LOL @ Singapore Brexit. Little England apparently isn't small enough for the resident brexitard.
    Congratulations America

WTF are you talking about? The backstop for NI isn't mentioned in that link.
    Obviously if Boris can accept a customs border around Bristol, he can accept one around NI. This is just the break negotiators have been waiting for. The first link pertains to his concession on the issue of internal borders. The SECOND link pertains to the issue of his stupidity.

More on the language issue. I see Rand is still pretending Johnson isn't running on a Trumpist nationalist platform. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/06/w...s-english.html

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    More on the language issue. I see Rand is still pretending Johnson isn't running on a Trumpist nationalist platform. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/06/w...s-english.html
    Learning English is Trumpist?

Are you aware it is already the law for non-EU migrants?
    Are you aware 90% of EU secondary school students learn English?

Is there any reason to believe that this addresses a real problem? It looks Johnson is making a typical dog whistle to xenophobes.

Learning English is Trumpist?

Are you aware it is already the law for non-EU migrants?
    Are you aware 90% of EU secondary school students learn English?
    Are you aware that what Bozo said was

“Too often there are parts of our country, parts of London still and other cities as well, where English is not spoken by some people as their first language."
    Johnson is leveraging precisely the same type of racist dog whistle politics that have taken root in the US and flourished under Trump.

How common is the name Mordaunt?
    Congratulations America