Rory Stewart, international development secretary

Tipped

Michael Gove, environment secretary

Sir Graham Brady, backbencher

Sajid Javid, home secretary

Penny Mordaunt, defence secretary

Priti Patel, backbencher
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Liz Truss, chief secretary to the Treasury

Steve Baker, backbencher
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Going to exclude the following right off the bat:

Jeremy Hunt, foreign secretary - incompetent nimrod, but not in the way members prefer

Andrea Leadsom, former leader of the House of Commons - woman, conjures up memories of unjust grade-school teacher who couldn't recognize genius and always gave the girls preferential treatment.

Esther McVey, backbencher - woman (but probably better chances than Leadsom because of nicer hair)

Rory Stewart, international development secretary - no charisma, nobody cares about his current position, and his name is Rory

Sajid Javid, home secretary - solid contender, but brown--and refers to himself in the third person as "The Saj", a type of thin unleavened bread

Penny Mordaunt, defence secretary - woman, name connotes office assistant.

Priti Patel, backbencher - woman, weird name.

Liz Truss, chief secretary to the Treasury - nobody knows who she is, nor do they care what she does

Steve Baker, backbencher - well it's just Steve innit
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Wait, Rory the Tory is going for prime minister? He's the MP in the constituency next door. When the people of Penrith speak of him, they call him Rory the Tory. Because Tory rhymes with Rory. As an MP he's, quite literally, OK at his job, they say. For a Tory, he's alright. Adequate.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Does it matter who's in Downing street if nobody can command a mayority?
    Congratulations America

Tory's think that someone other than May will be able to get the EU to offer a deal without the backstop.

So, no in actual reality it doesn't matter but in the minds of Tories it does.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The Tories have a strategy they like for getting rid of the backstop, although they don't like to talk about it: drive NI back into Ireland's arms through callous incompetence.

Can't do that while relying on DUP votes.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Tory's think that someone other than May will be able to get the EU to offer a deal without the backstop.

So, no in actual reality it doesn't matter but in the minds of Tories it does.
    Never mind Brussels; there's no majority in Westminster. The WA is what it is because the UK has no clear plans for Brexit.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Never mind Brussels; there's no majority in Westminster. The WA is what it is because the UK has no clear plans for Brexit.
    I think she probably might have been able to get it through without the backstop. The UK had no clear, realistic plans for Brexit. Plenty of plans that were rank fantasy.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I think she probably might have been able to get it through without the backstop. The UK had no clear, realistic plans for Brexit. Plenty of plans that were rank fantasy.
    That's quite some assumption there; doesn't the GFA have any meaning in Westminster? How do you think that would resonate in Congress? Anyway, the notion is moot as the EU would not have accepted a WA without a backstop (either the British one proposed by the UK or one for NI only) in combination with the British red lines pertaining to the future. So, without the backstop there would not be an agreement to vote about.
    Congratulations America

Gosh. Gove actually started out with an idea that seems halfway decent; give all EU residents in the UK a British passport, through what sounds as a simple system of registration. Of course it doesn't really match freedom of movement and comes with some practical problems of its own but the decency shines through. Refreshing almost.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Now you know that he won't be it: Sensible ideas have no place in today's politics!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Now you know that he won't be it: Sensible ideas have no place in today's politics!
    I didn't say sensible, I said decent. The two are not the same.
    Congratulations America

Vince Cable - my local MP - stepping down as leader of the Lib Dems.

Deputy Leader Jo Swinson has declared for the leadership

As has Ed Davey. Who is also an MP of a neighbouring borough. Yes I live in a Lib Dem stronghold area.

Good to get some fresh blood to lead the Dems

With almost all of the Tory candidates being staunch Brexiteers, the Bollocks to Brexit party should rise.

Good riddance to May. Vile woman, dismal failure and worst PM since Lord North. Last time the election went to a member's vote I had one and voted for David Cameron over David Davis, a result I'm very happy to have won. This time I don't have a vote since I've left the Party. I hope it goes back to being one I can support.

Unfortunately the main thing that needs dealing with is Brexit and we need someone sound on Brexit. To me that must mean someone who is willing to stand up for Britain, seek a deal with the EU without a backstop while seriously preparing to leave without one if its not offered. That is a deal-breaker for me.

That rules out multiple candidates including Hunt (whom I otherwise like) and Stewart. Possibly Gove too despite him being my favourite last time.

From the frontrunners:
    Boris - His public persona on Brexit is what's needed but who knows if he's serious. Too chummy with people like Trump is a major turnoff. A reluctant maybe.
    Gove - Always liked him. Smart, but irritates many voters and probably not the best election winner. Can't be worse than May. Backed May's deal to the death and hasn't really said much since entering the race so not sure on him anymore. Another reluctant maybe, from a firm favourite of mine.
    Hunt - Like him, but he called a no deal Brexit "suicide" after entering the race. No, suicide is entering talks with the EU without being prepared to walk away.
    Raab - Seems like he might be the right choice unfortunately.
    Javid - Long supported him. A Remainer at the referendum, would have been the perfect choice for normal circumstances, but we need a true Brexiteer to succeed May unfortunately. Had May not failed he would have been my favourite.

So at the moment I'd back Raab before Johnson, though of the non-front runners Esther McVey seems better than both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Johnson's public—and private—persona is that of a lying chancer but sure. Esther McVey lied to parliament, but cool. Raab... Christ, I can't even. Your standards are increasingly beginning to resemble that of British cuisine from the 70s.

I would love to see any of these breximaniacs have a go at getting really humiliated on a regular basis.
    Congratulations America

Couldn't do any worse than having Remainers in charge.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Oh yes they could.
    Congratulations America

So, what will the next Tory leader do with their time?

Try and renegotiate with the EU: come back with May's deal with the serial numbers filed off, fail to get it through parliament again, go back have a stare-down with Jean-Claude Juncker, use steely Brexiter resolve to win stare-down in the Greatest British Triumph Since World War 2, then the deal doesn't change because having a stare down and being tough minded in some nebulous way doesn't actually effect negotiating positions or practicalities of border issues, fail to get it through parliament once again
    Threaten to Hard Brexit if the EU doesn't Cave on the Backstop: EU: 'Hard Brexit it is then'
    Hard Brexit: Remainer Tories rebel and vote with opposition to stop you, because you're being a dipsit
    Call a general election: Hung parliament again

What does that leave? *chin stroke*
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

JC doesn't negotiate for the EU, Barnier does. He serves both the Commission and the Council.

The EU will not cave because for that to happen Ireland has to take the blame for the new border.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Raab - Seems like he might be the right choice unfortunately.
    Is this the same Raab that admitted to not reading the GFA whilst being Brexit Secretary?

And the same Raab that admitted that he hadn't quite understand the significance of the Dover-Calais crossing for UK trade?

And the same Rabb that accomplished a grand total of fuck all as Brexit Secretary?

Yet you want somebody who's "sound" on Brexit? What is wrong with your brain?

Be honest - you'd vote for Donald Trump if he were running wouldn't you?

The job of the next Tory leader is to make affronted Little Englanders feel good about owning themselves by stoking resentment against imaginary enemies (traitors in the party, fifth column interlopers in Labour, evil foreigners in London, dirty Scots & Irishmen with funny accents dragging Mighty England down, Soros Occupied Brussels etc).

gogobongopop in italics
    Is this the same Raab that admitted to not reading the GFA whilst being Brexit Secretary? Yes that will be the one. Reading word for word through old texts isn't as important as understanding their legal and political significance.

And the same Raab that admitted that he hadn't quite understand the significance of the Dover-Calais crossing for UK trade? Yes that will be the one. An honest comment that was taken out of context and twisted. And we wonder why politicians spin and prevaricate when we slam people for being honest. Do you understand the significance to which he referred? Do you understand it?

And the same Rabb that accomplished a grand total of fuck all as Brexit Secretary? May's fault entirely. She wouldn't let him accomplish anything.

Yet you want somebody who's "sound" on Brexit? What is wrong with your brain? Nothing wrong with it. Belief in Brexit isn't enough, but it is a necessary but insufficient condition to succeed.

Be honest - you'd vote for Donald Trump if he were running wouldn't you? Hell no! Where have I ever suggested that?

So, what will the next Tory leader do with their time?

Try and renegotiate with the EU: come back with May's deal with the serial numbers filed off, fail to get it through parliament again, go back have a stare-down with Jean-Claude Juncker, use steely Brexiter resolve to win stare-down in the Greatest British Triumph Since World War 2, then the deal doesn't change because having a stare down and being tough minded in some nebulous way doesn't actually effect negotiating positions or practicalities of border issues, fail to get it through parliament once again
    Threaten to Hard Brexit if the EU doesn't Cave on the Backstop: EU: 'Hard Brexit it is then'
    Hard Brexit: Remainer Tories rebel and vote with opposition to stop you, because you're being a dipsit
    Call a general election: Hung parliament again

What does that leave? *chin stroke*
    It leaves hard Brexit. Unless Remainers can get sufficient MPs to unite to elect a Remainer PM who is willing to extend or revoke Article 50 then we exit on Oct 31. Trick or Treat.

It also leaves the Remainer Tories out of Parliament next time, unless they can win as either an independent or defect to the Lib Dems etc and win as them. Because any rebel who goes against the Party on a confidence vote will automatically lose the whip and be deselected in the ensuing election. In your scenario we either end up with Jeremy Corbyn in Downing Street, or a hard Brexit.

gogobongopop in italics
    Is this the same Raab that admitted to not reading the GFA whilst being Brexit Secretary? Yes that will be the one. Reading word for word through old texts isn't as important as understanding their legal and political significance.
    It's a 35 page document. As the Brexit Secretary, accountable for helping to resolve one of the major blockers in the negotiations, he had an obligation to read it and fully understand it. There's literally no excuse.

And the same Raab that admitted that he hadn't quite understand the significance of the Dover-Calais crossing for UK trade? Yes that will be the one. An honest comment that was taken out of context and twisted. And we wonder why politicians spin and prevaricate when we slam people for being honest. Do you understand the significance to which he referred? Do you understand it?
    It wasn't taken out of context or twisted. He fucked up by admitting that. He showed a complete lack of leadership and huge naivety. Somebody that stupid should not be leading the country. Your standards for our politicians are so incredibly low it baffles me.

And the same Rabb that accomplished a grand total of fuck all as Brexit Secretary? May's fault entirely. She wouldn't let him accomplish anything.
    Or perhaps he couldn't because he doesn't understand the GFA or had realised how significant the Dover-Calais crossing was?

Yet you want somebody who's "sound" on Brexit? What is wrong with your brain? Nothing wrong with it. Belief in Brexit isn't enough, but it is a necessary but insufficient condition to succeed.
    See this is problem. You want somebody who believes in Brexit, is credible, intelligent, wise and is a strong leader. But the problem is there isn't anybody. Because the credible, intelligent, wise strong leaders realise that Brexit is stupid.

You have nobody who can deliver whatever the hell it is you guys want. Nobody - and you'll never be happy. And you'll always be the victim; and you eventually side more and more with the angry, bitter betrayed brigade, and relate more and more with Farage, Bannon and Trump.

Be honest - you'd vote for Donald Trump if he were running wouldn't you? Hell no! Where have I ever suggested that?
    When you voted for Nigel Farage.

It leaves hard Brexit. Unless Remainers can get sufficient MPs to unite to elect a Remainer PM who is willing to extend or revoke Article 50 then we exit on Oct 31. Trick or Treat.

It also leaves the Remainer Tories out of Parliament next time, unless they can win as either an independent or defect to the Lib Dems etc and win as them. Because any rebel who goes against the Party on a confidence vote will automatically lose the whip and be deselected in the ensuing election. In your scenario we either end up with Jeremy Corbyn in Downing Street, or a hard Brexit.
    Tories will put party before country, otherwise we wouldn't be in this mess. They won't risk a split like that.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

You what? The Tories are the one party that have put country before Party. They just don't agree what is best for the Country. Grieve and co believe reversing the referendum is best for the country so voted against the whip. Baker and co believe no deal (or a different one) is best for the country so voted against the whip. May and co were so petrified of no deal they put a shit deal ahead of party unity. No party had a higher share of MPs going against their party whip and for what they believe to be best for the country.

Name one party that has put the country above their own parties interests more than the Tories.

You what? The Tories are the one party that have put country before Party. They just don't agree what is best for the Country. Grieve and co believe reversing the referendum is best for the country so voted against the whip. Baker and co believe no deal (or a different one) is best for the country so voted against the whip. May and co were so petrified of no deal they put a shit deal ahead of party unity. No party had a higher share of MPs going against their party whip and for what they believe to be best for the country.

Name one party that has put the country above their own parties interests more than the Tories.
    I was referring to Cameron's decision to call a referendum because he didn't want the Tories to lose votes to UKIP.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come