Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: Trump Administration Destroys US Department of Agriculture, Conservatives Rejoice

  1. #31
    If you have large amounts of agricultural research occurring in a high-cost area far away from agricultural centers, you might be doing it wrong.
    Impossible to determine the usefulness of this statement without knowing more about the work they do and who they are. Obviously your sage grandfatherly musings aren't very useful here.
    Last edited by Aimless; 08-07-2019 at 11:25 PM.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  2. #32
    Exactly. Yet we're expected to just go on the word of an inveterately change-resistant government union that this is an anti-science crusade and not a mostly-sensible cost cutting exercise?

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Exactly. Yet we're expected to just go on the word of an inveterately change-resistant government union that this is an anti-science crusade and not a mostly-sensible cost cutting exercise?
    Presumably the organization representing the people who work in these fields can be expected to know at least as much as the notoriously incompetent and notoriously anti-science derpheads that have been placed in charge of govt institutions since Trump's ascension to the throne.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  4. #34
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    If you have large amounts of agricultural research occurring in a high-cost area far away from agricultural centers, you might be doing it wrong.

    It's also worth noting that the DC area never had a recession or property value declines during the global financial crisis. If a single employer has enough power to create a housing boom, that employer should consider whether costs could be saved by distributing its workforce. Every organization does this. The exercise is not in itself some kind of anti-science Jihad.
    Do you have any idea how research works? I don't go to a freaking war zone to study war. A vast majority of research involves going through the literature, gathering data, and doing stats. Some might require experiments, but the scientists are probably not the ones on the ground doing the day-to-day grunt work. There are economists who are simultaneously running experiments in Africa and Asia, all while working in the US.

    Every organization does this...that's why there are so many high-salary firms in a handful of American cities.

    I also find it ironic that in the same thread where wig defends 8 digit executive salaries as an inducement to work harder/better, you begrudge scientists a good work site for the same reason. You do know that we have a free market, right? People with Ph.Ds. in STEM fields can easily get higher salaries elsewhere, and that elsewhere is presumably better than Kansas. Not that you care. You'd be happy with the government hiring the worst available workers just so you could convince yourself that the government indeed sucks.
    Last edited by Loki; 08-08-2019 at 04:07 AM.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Exactly. Yet we're expected to just go on the word of an inveterately change-resistant government union that this is an anti-science crusade and not a mostly-sensible cost cutting exercise?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post


    Trump's administration only likes things that support their ideology. They've buried, ignored, denied, or obfuscated facts that don't match their political agenda. They've done it with other federal agencies too, so it's clearly a pattern where the ends justify the means, which is pretty much the definition of "anti-science".


  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    You mean this was an attempt to reduce the federal workforce? And you think I'd have an objection to that? Until federal employees have similar turnover numbers as the private sector I'm not going to shed any tears.

  8. #38
    If you *really* want to reduce federal workforce spending, why not start with the 40% that is military-related?

    It doesn't make sense to strip research agencies in the short-term -- that could reduce the need for military in the long-term. Your police-state bias is showing.


  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    If you *really* want to reduce federal workforce spending, why not start with the 40% that is military-related?

    It doesn't make sense to strip research agencies in the short-term -- that could reduce the need for military in the long-term. Your police-state bias is showing.

    The primary purpose of the state is to protect the citizens from external (enemy nations invading) and internal (crime) threats. Beyond those core purposes I want the government to have very limited power and scope.

  10. #40
    This is why you cheerlead for Trump every time he tries to do the opposite. No one buys this BS anymore, Lewk.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    This is why you cheerlead for Trump every time he tries to do the opposite.
    Wait till you see how he starts celebrating after Trump issues an executive order telling private businesses to start protecting hate speech.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  12. #42
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    5,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Wait till you see how he starts celebrating after Trump issues an executive order telling private businesses to start protecting hate speech.
    It's funny how it's okay for cake producers to ban gays but when it's YouTube banning Nazis then it's suddenly an assault on freeze peach.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  13. #43
    Trump's administration is also gutting the EPA. And the Endangered Species Act. Too many regulations, too much governmental control. Let the private corporations make decisions that impact the whole nation for future generations -- they know better than any science or research that comes from "the government".

  14. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    It's funny how it's okay for cake producers to ban gays but when it's YouTube banning Nazis then it's suddenly an assault on freeze peach.
    The bakery never banned gays. Go read through the case.

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The primary purpose of the state is to protect the citizens from external (enemy nations invading) and internal (crime) threats. Beyond those core purposes I want the government to have very limited power and scope.
    But you also expect individual and religious freedoms will be protected as a constitutional mandate. So stop pretending that you want a small/limited federal government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •