Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boris is in. Who's next?

Default Boris is in. Who's next?

I'm going to assume that Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson is the leader of the Conservative Party in a couple of hours. I am also going to assume his government isn't going to be the first to fall before it makes it into office. But, having said that, with a working majority of 2 if I'm friendly, when will the Buffoon be booted out?
    Congratulations America

What is a reasonable, forward thinking, globally-minded Brit to do come Bojo in power at the next GE?

Vote for Bojo and the Brexiteers?

Can't vote for Corbyn, his government would be around twice as bad for this country as a no deal.

Lib Dem? Although they have a new person at the helm in Jo Swinson who will hopefully breathe fresh post-Cable air into the party, voting Lib Dem will risk a Corbyn catastrophe.

Defect to a less idiotic country? I've always fancied Canada, have a good friend who moved there recently and loves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Speaking as a reasonable, forward thinking, global-minded Brit I back Boris and am happy with this result. I'm happier too that May is shuffling off to history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Speaking as a reasonable, forward thinking, global-minded Brit
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Speaking as a reasonable, forward thinking, global-minded Brit I back Boris and am happy with this result. I'm happier too that May is shuffling off to history.
    Why are you happy with this result? Did you enjoy having a PM who's constantly humiliated both inside and outside of the country? What makes you think it will be any different with this one? He's got an even smaller majority, a more divided party and there won't be any honeymoon feelings for this man outside. If he's foolish enough to visit Washington DC first it will show how impossible it is actually to have a meaningful agreement with the USA. And if he thinks to avoid Brussels, he'll barely be listened to in Europe's capitals.

That was the case last week, but it's even more likely to be that way now that appearantly the British government may be against a EU army, but not so much against a EU navy.
    Congratulations America

An editorial in Der Spiegel runs under the headline 'Ab morgen wird er Versprechen brechen' (As of tomorrow he'll start breaking promises).
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    What is a reasonable, forward thinking, globally-minded Brit to do come Bojo in power at the next GE?

Vote for Bojo and the Brexiteers?

Can't vote for Corbyn, his government would be around twice as bad for this country as a no deal.

Lib Dem? Although they have a new person at the helm in Jo Swinson who will hopefully breathe fresh post-Cable air into the party, voting Lib Dem will risk a Corbyn catastrophe.

Defect to a less idiotic country? I've always fancied Canada, have a good friend who moved there recently and loves it.
    If current polls are to be believed, no one has any chance of forming a government by themselves. Labour might get the most seats, but nowhere near a majority. So you might as well vote Lib Dem, who could conceivably finish with a plurality of the popular vote, but probably won't get the most seats due to their support not being very concentrated. Good chance they'll be kingmakers though.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Click to view the full version
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Oh. The Buffoon already started backtracking; brexit on October 31st is conditional suddenly.

He also seems to think that the is going to be crowned king of the British Empire ; how else can we understand the awaking giant babble?
    Congratulations America

Happy Halloween! Looking forward to seeing what he can accomplish.

Good start so far. Robbins out, Cummings in.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

It's official. Boris is 77th Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

I'm happy. Hopeful he proves the doubters wrong.

It's official. Boris is PM.

I think he will deliver exactly what he can be expected to deliver. And that would be nothing good. No doubt whatsoever by the way.

You however, he will disappoint. But by the time you realize that you will never have been happy about his PM ship.
    Congratulations America

It's official. Boris is 77th Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Well, I'm not really one of those doubters. I don't have much doubt.

Let's take a look at his track record.

He has been sacked from past jobs, not once but twice, for lying.

He is a man who refers to women as totty. A man who has said that the response to women with questions was to "pat them on the bottom and send them on their way".

Who has referred to black people as picaninys.

Who has referred to gay men as bum boys.

Who has directly jeopardized the life and liberty of Nazan Zaghari-Radcliffe through sheer bumbling incompetence.

Whose track record as mayor was to close all of London's ticket offices, when his 2008 manifesto promised to have every single one manned.
    Who equally promised to eradicate rough sleeping in London, when actually the number of rough sleepers doubled during his tenure as mayor.

No I'm not really a doubter. I don't really doubt that he will continue his misogyny, his bigotry, his lack of any integrity whatsoever, his lies. Oh and did I mention bumbling incompetence?
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 07-24-2019 at 07:16 PM.

So it looks like Boris's plan to save the Conservative Party—and his own hide—involves reversing Tory policies and bribing voters

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I think he will deliver exactly what he can be expected to deliver. And that would be nothing good. No doubt whatsoever by the way.

You however, he will disappoint. But by the time you realize that you will never have been happy about his PM ship.
    Well May has set the bar so incredibly low that it will be difficult not to be better than her. Even sheer bumbling incompetence would be better than May. But I don't think that's what we'll get.

Good Cabinet reshuffle, culling a lot of very deadwood from May's team of dismal failures and bringing in a lot of optimistic talent instead.

Only one departure from Cabinet I will be upset about, Penny Mordaunt. I disagree with letting her go. I would have disagreed with letting Hunt go, but he was offered Defence and turned it down viewing it as beneath him. Just who does he think he is to scorn serving our Armed Forces and viewing them as beneath him? Disgusting! The rest of the lemmings that have gone I couldn't care less about.

As for those coming in . . . most I either am not familiar with yet, or agree with. Priti Patel I worry about, she can be quite authoritarian but can't be as bad as May. She is complex, can have a Libertarian streak, I hope that is the Patel we get. I certainly don't think we will see the return of the death penalty and don't fret over that.

JRM in I don't like. But of all the roles for him to get, Leader of House is probably the one that suits him best. It is a rather arcane role that he can probably do well and doesn't involve the public at all.

Interesting to note that two of the four Great Offices of State are now held by people from an ethnic minority. While people like Aimless bizarrely claim bullshit like that the Tories are white nationalists, while simultaneously he makes fun of Priti Patel.

The whole cabinet seems to be little more than a cunning plan; make it so extremist Brexiteer that it will be booted out post haste after which the Buffoon can present a cleansed Conservative Party as the true Brexit party at the next GE.
    Congratulations America

There seems to be a three-pronged approach to the future, which is what I would have recommended and agree fully with.

Step 1: Prepare as well as we can for No Deal in the time remaining, hope that the EU blinks. If they do, we ratify a deal, job done.
    Step 2: If the EU doesn't blink, say that with regret we are exiting with No Deal, hope that Parliament blinks. If they do we leave without a deal, job done.
    Step 3: If Parliament brings down the government instead go into the General Election saying we tried and need a majority to get the job done.

Happiest I've been with British politics in years. Bring on the next 98 days.

Interesting to note that two of the four Great Offices of State are now held by people from an ethnic minority. While people like Aimless bizarrely claim bullshit like that the Tories are white nationalists, while simultaneously he makes fun of Priti Patel.
    I have changed my mind, this post of yours has dethroned Lewk's post about trans people. "We can't be racists because some of our cabinet ministers are brown and if you oppose racism your can't criticize brown people who suck" is even more derp than the classic Irish Accents episode.

Happiest I've been with British politics in years. Bring on the next 98 days.

Hannan is characteristically clueless, as are you.