Thread: The devaluation of the Nobel Prize

Default The devaluation of the Nobel Prize

About a decade ago Barack Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize, for little more than being the first black man elected to the US presidency. Today I read a headline on the Die Welt website which boiled down that Gretha Thunberg being up for the honor the next time round. Which to me very much sounds like today all one needs is having been diagnosed with a personality disorder to get chosen by the Nobel Committee. I don't feel that she's actually doing the cause of awareness about climate change a lot of good with her hysteria and pointing out that her lifestyle may not include flying but is definately depending on extremely rich friends with extremely expensive yachts. She appearantly never wondered if the carbon footprint of an entirely superfluous tall ship really makes it ok to use it for travel.

But I am not here to slam climate campaigners in general, I was just wondering if I am the only one who basically thinks the Nobel Peace Prize has turned into a joke?
    Last edited by Hazir; 08-13-2019 at 10:16 PM.
    Congratulations America

It's been that way for a while. I suppose a lot of it has to do with interstate wars going almost extinct, which means the awards stopped going to diplomats tasked with ending them. It's harder to give them to one of the parties to a civil war, because they nearly always have a tremendous amount of blood on their hands.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It's been that way for a while. I suppose a lot of it has to do with interstate wars going almost extinct, which means the awards stopped going to diplomats tasked with ending them. It's harder to give them to one of the parties to a civil war, because they nearly always have a tremendous amount of blood on their hands.
    True, but is it really necessary to pick the newest fad every time they have to make a choice?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    True, but is it really necessary to pick the newest fad every time they have to make a choice?
    It is politicians who do the picking. And politicians from a particular milieu (do-gooder Nordics).

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    About a decade ago Barack Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize, for little more than being the first black man elected to the US presidency. Today I read a headline on the Die Welt website which boiled down that Gretha Thunberg being up for the honor the next time round. Which to me very much sounds like today all one needs is having been diagnosed with a personality disorder to get chosen by the Nobel Committee. I don't feel that she's actually doing the cause of awareness about climate change a lot of good with her hysteria and pointing out that her lifestyle may not include flying but is definately depending on extremely rich friends with extremely expensive yachts. She appearantly never wondered if the carbon footprint of an entirely superfluous tall ship really makes it ok to use it for travel.

But I am not here to slam climate campaigners in general, I was just wondering if I am the only one who basically thinks the Nobel Peace Prize has turned into a joke?
    Die Welt is kind of the Fox News of Germany. Not the best source for something like this.

And "hysteria"? "Not here to slam climate campaigners"? Please. We can see right through you
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Die Welt is kind of the Fox News of Germany. Not the best source for something like this.

And "hysteria"? "Not here to slam climate campaigners"? Please. We can see right through you
    I think it was very clear that I called the person in question hysterical, not concern for climate change itself.

And you tell me how the mere existence of that yacht shouldn't be unacceptable to someone who won't fly because of its carbon footprint. Finally, it's not just "Welt", it was just that headline that caught my attention.
    Congratulations America

Oh, so you called her hysterical. That makes it sooooooooo much better. Maybe you could point out to me which of her talking points is hysterical and maybe also show to me where acknowledged climate scientists disagree with her points. I'm rather sure you won't find very many, if any.

And I really don't understand your hysteria about the boat.

I think maybe don't feed the troll mmkay
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The better question is whether she has "...done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

If anyone should get it, it should be the prime minister of Ethiopia. Second place would be the North Macedonian and Greek leaders who finally resolved the Macedonian name issue.

The better question is whether she has "...done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

If anyone should get it, it should be the prime minister of Ethiopia. Second place would be the North Macedonian and Greek leaders who finally resolved the Macedonian name issue.
    Better candidates hands down. Or what about the people who made the deal in Sudan possible.
    Congratulations America

Still waiting for you proving her hysterical. With statements from renowned climate scientists.

Then again, you know what? If you want to stick your head in the sand and ignore things just because they're inconvenient, more power to you. Just don't expect us to take you seriously on anything climate related ever again.

Better candidates hands down. Or what about the people who made the deal in Sudan possible.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Still waiting for you proving her hysterical. With statements from renowned climate scientists.

Then again, you know what? If you want to stick your head in the sand and ignore things just because they're inconvenient, more power to you. Just don't expect us to take you seriously on anything climate related ever again.
    You know something; go fuck yourself and come back when you manage your own hysteria a tiny bit better. You may think that you are in a position to demand anything, but of course the truth is that you are not.
    Congratulations America

That one could still fall apart, but if it doesn't, sure.

Good choice - deserves it.

And what truly shows how much he deserves it is that when it even the newsreader on the radio admitted to not knowing his name before the announcement. One of my earliest memories is the Ethiopia/Eritrea conflict [I was 2/3 at the time of Live Aid/Band Aid but was still going after that]. The fact we no longer hear about Ethiopia in the news like that is a good thing and this prize is well deserved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.