Thread: Wheels

Default Wheels

Our new ride finally arrived:

This will replace our current runabout:

It's served us well since we had our first child, but the kids are big for their age and don't really fit in the bakfiets anymore. It's still useful for carrying stuff, but I can't really justify the garage space for two big bikes.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Nice, though I'm curious how easy that thing is to ride.

Out of curiosity, are you Dutch or do they call that a bakfiets in the UK as well?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Wait, those things are real?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The 3 seater handles better than the bakfiets, which actually handles pretty well once its loaded. The advantage of the bakfiets is that you sit behind most of the length of the bike, so its easy to line up when you go through a gate.

Bakfiets is not a commonly used word in the UK, but there are a lot of Dutch cargo bikes where I live and the word is printed on the side of most of them. It's often used within this city.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Wait, those things are real?
    Of course, what else would you use to move kids and/or stuff around ?

Several of our friends here and elsewhere in Sweden have electric versions of those cargo bikes or equivalent. We spend most of our daily lives in a 15-30 min walking radius except when we're in sthlm (where we walk or use public transportation) so it's honestly seemed like more of a hassle than it's worth, but perhaps that will change
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

My wife got an electric bike, currently a Crecent, it was an upgrade from 'Biltema'...
    I'll continue to buy her a new bike every 2nd year, it's a really good investment instead of a car.
    The second hand value is really nice too.

Personally I need a bike since I sold off all my old ones.

But I can't decide what to get...
    I guess I need a hybrid or crossracer, a classical racer to begin with and a MTB...
    It's really hard to prioritize. The MTB is probably the one I'll get for now. >_<

It's a bit wacko when bikes starts to cost equal the amount of some cars...
    Someone is making some easy money...

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Several of our friends here and elsewhere in Sweden have electric versions of those cargo bikes or equivalent. We spend most of our daily lives in a 15-30 min walking radius except when we're in sthlm (where we walk or use public transportation) so it's honestly seemed like more of a hassle than it's worth, but perhaps that will change
    15-30 min walking sounds good. Our commutes are approx 30 min by bike. Public transport is mess here, and we've largely given up on it.

It looks like the 3 seater is going to open up a lot of the countryside for us - we can now get out to some of our favourite places without using a car, and our range should only increase as the kids get bigger and fitter.

We decided against electric assists, they add a lot to the cost and there aren't enough hills in our area to justify the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by rille View Post
    My wife got an electric bike, currently a Crecent, it was an upgrade from 'Biltema'...
    I'll continue to buy her a new bike every 2nd year, it's a really good investment instead of a car.

I guess I need a hybrid or crossracer, a classical racer to begin with and a MTB...
    It's really hard to prioritize. The MTB is probably the one I'll get for now. >_<

I don't know what sort of riding you're doing, but I like a modern city bike for everyday riding. Good visibility and a relaxed riding position, and I'm less tempted to race to work than when I used a road bike. My wife recently replaced her Pashley with a Gazelle Citygo and the Gazelle is a much nicer piece of kit. I'd probably get one if I was replacing my Azor now.

Quote Originally Posted by rille View Post

E-bikes are fantastic.

I've been sniffing around bikes for my commute, and wanted to try an E-bike, though one that folds so that I can take it on the train.

Ordered a GoCycle GX, a sleek E-bike created by former Formula 1 and supercar engineers from McLaren.

As excellent as it was to ride, and though it is among the smallest and lightest of folding E-bikes, it proved just too large, bulky and heavy for busy London commuter trains. I returned it back to the manufacturer.

~

And so just last week I bought the traditional, tried and tested British favourite commuter bike, a Brompton instead.

At around 10kg and folded down to a remarkably small size it really is a lovely piece of engineering. Just right for commuting.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 09-05-2019 at 07:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post

Seen plenty of these around Amsterdam, but until recently never in London. And now I've seen a few on the streets.

They appear unwieldy on busy London roads when I've seen them, and traffic seems to get frustrated held up behind them as they are neither narrow nor quick. I would imagine they're better suited to less busy towns or more rural areas.

Much of the UK just isn't well set up for bikes. The infrastructure isn't there, unlike in Amsterdam. Things slowly changing though, bikes are increasingly popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.