Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: British General Election 14 October

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    So, what's the line going to be when you try and use this to harm him at the ballot box? "Corbyn is too chicken have this election we are now having, even though it is only happening because he agreed to have it, since we threw our own majority away due to our deep personal stupidity"
    No need to use this line then, it'd be a bit late then. Damaging his credibility now though works.

Though to anyone who knows anything he'd have no credibility to damage but nevermind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

If a few stupid memes on twitter that everyone's going to forget in like a week are the price Corbyn has to pay to a) completely shut down Boris's government and b) get to choose the time of the next election to maximize your own advantage, then I'd say that was a good trade.

I don't see what moves Boris has left at this point, his best bet is probably to just try and run out the clock, or hope the EU will veto and extension.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

If I was Boris's advisor I'd recommend using the nuclear option. Advise HMQ to refuse royal assent and send it back to the Commons. Let them VONC him if they wish to do so.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Amber Rudd quits.

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Amber Rudd quits.

@RandBlade : Still happy with the chaos you voted for?
    Congratulations America

The inside of Randy's head right now:
    https://youtu.be/Wz_DNrKVrQ8
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    @RandBlade : Still happy with the chaos you voted for?
    Yes. Didn't understand why Boris appointed her, or why she accepted the appointment, it made no sense on both parts.

ROFLMAO that's good! That genuinely made me laugh!

I can see why the lore and iconography of Warhammer 40k would appeal to you.

The conservative party could be reduced to six grumpy old Etonians in a shed ranting about millennials surrendering to foreigners and Randblade would claim everything was proceeding just as planned.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    I can see why the lore and iconography of Warhammer 40k would appeal to you.
    I was always more a fan of Warhammer Fantasy Battles and its spin offs like Blood Bowl and Warhammer Quest.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    If I was Boris's advisor I'd recommend using the nuclear option. Advise HMQ to refuse royal assent and send it back to the Commons. Let them VONC him if they wish to do so.
    I.e., destroy the very idea of parliamentary supremacy. Is there anything you wouldn't destroy for Brexit?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Parliamentary sovereignty would still apply.

Parliamentary sovereignty includes three elements, the Commons is the most important one and can ultimately override the other two, but it is one of three.

If the House of Lords rejects a bill then the Commons overrides it via use of the Parliament Act then that doesn't undermine Parliamentary sovereignty either.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49625431

First hints of the government's response, and it's the most Boris thing ever: Just wing it and sort of waffle on at people and hope they don't notice you have literally no plan and aren't doing the thing you said you'd do
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

2nd attempt at a snap election failed. That's now Boris's sixth Commons defeat in the space of a week.

He's making Theresa May look like a strong leader with a real ability to deliver by comparison.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    2nd attempt at a snap election failed. That's now Boris's sixth Commons defeat in the space of a week.

He's making Theresa May look like a strong leader with a real ability to deliver by comparison.
    That's ridiculous. First rule of politics is to know how to count and Boris hasn't got a majority and knows it. But he's not trying to hide from the voters.

An election is needed to proceed. Then we will know how it's comparable to May.

That's ridiculous. First rule of politics is to know how to count and Boris hasn't got a majority and knows it. But he's not trying to hide from the voters.
    If he knows he hasn't got the votes, then why did he put the motion forward in the first place? Maybe he can't count?

Secondly, who's fault is it he doesn't have a majority, or rather, that he no longer has a majority?

An election is needed to proceed. Then we will know how it's comparable to May.
    If he wants an election, he needs only submit to the demands of the opposition and can have an election, which is not a lot to ask since the opposition have graciously refined from VONCing his candy ass all over Whitehall. Wouldn't kill him, would it? Just accede to the requirements of Jeremy Corbyn (and also obey the fucking law), and boom: election. Shouldn't be too much to ask.

I mean, as I understand it we can't call an election for five weeks now because he prorogued parliament but, again, whose genius idea was that?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

If he knows he hasn't got the votes, then why did he put the motion forward in the first place? Maybe he can't count?

Secondly, who's fault is it he doesn't have a majority, or rather, that he no longer has a majority?
    The only way to get an election is to have the motion passed and the motion can only be passed if its put forward.

Its Theresa May and the rebels fault that he doesn't have an election.
    If he wants an election, he needs only submit to the demands of the opposition and can have an election, which is not a lot to ask since the opposition have graciously refined from VONCing his candy ass all over Whitehall. Wouldn't kill him, would it? Just accede to the requirements of Jeremy Corbyn (and also obey the fucking law), and boom: election. Shouldn't be too much to ask.

I mean, as I understand it we can't call an election for five weeks now because he prorogued parliament but, again, whose genius idea was that?
    Which demands are that?

Tragicomic:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ial-misconduct

Imagine being the mayor of one of the world's most important cities and still engaging in such petty corruption.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Didn't you get the memo that accusing his Jesterness of a crime is "political"?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Didn't you get the memo that accusing his Jesterness of a crime is "political"?
    It absolutely is yes, glad you can see straight through it

Abuse of power and inappropriate use of state resources to benefit a friend/mistress is hilarious. Waste of taxpayer funds is only a problem if they're used to keep poor people from dying.

Can anyone find a clip of Johnson telling Marr the Tories don't do deals with other parties?

It absolutely is yes, glad you can see straight through it
    A mayor going to such lengths to funnel public funds to a friend/mistress who was not even eligible to receive said funds prior to the mayor's intervention... is actually an example of corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    A mayor going to such lengths to funnel public funds to a friend/mistress who was not even eligible to receive said funds prior to the mayor's intervention... is actually an example of corruption.
    If that had happened sure I agree.

While simultaneously opposing the investigation.

If that had happened sure I agree.
    It appears to be what happened, and so an investigation is entirely appropriate. Multiple lines of evidence support a close relationship between Johnson and Arcuri, and Johnson's interventions on the behalf of her company.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    While simultaneously opposing the investigation.
    I don't oppose investigations.

I do oppose guilty-until-proven-innocent shit-stirring and abuse of power investigating political opponents for perverted party partisan purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It appears to be what happened, and so an investigation is entirely appropriate. Multiple lines of evidence support a close relationship between Johnson and Arcuri, and Johnson's interventions on the behalf of her company.
    Investigate yes, but we have a little principle called innocent until proven guilty in this country. Especially when the investigation has already broken procedure and been abused for party political purposes.