Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: British General Election 14 October

He was defeated on leaving in October.

He hasn't created a border in the Irish Sea

He didn't trigger Article 50.

I am not an expert but I believe checks won't be needed between NI and GB beyond those pre discussed and agreed with DUP etc regarding agriculture. There will be a bit more paperwork but AFAIK no extra checks.

Parliament already gave the Withdrawal Agreement a second reading but have made it clear they
    dont want to pass it unamended and will kill it with wrecking amendments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

He made a childish promise no PM should never have made. It was still within his power to leave by tomorrow and he completely messed it up with his own incompetence and ridiculous strategy.

Tell that to the DUP.

He voted to trigger A50 when he pledged not to untill we had a new deal in place.

No, new checks are needed. Spin that all you want, but the Brexit secretary himself admitted it.

And that's parliamentary process. It's called scrutiny. It's essential and I'm surprised you're arguing against it.

Boris sat in his hands for weeks and months wasting time. If he'd got his deal earlier, parliament would have had time to scrutinise and amend, and we'd be out.

It's literally all on him. All of it. The man doesn't even think Brexit is a good idea.

1: It wasn't within his power, he did everything within his power.

2: Happily.

3: He voted to give authority to the PM as did almost all of Parliament. It was Theresa May that chose when to exercise that authority.

4: IANAE but I think the Brexit Secretary said some declarations would be needed, not checks.

5: I'm not against scrutiny.

6: Boris didn't sit on his hands, he negotiated and got a deal in a timely fashion. His opponents in Parliament with the Benn Act chose a deadline to get a deal by, he got the deal by that deadline but then Parliament decided not to vote on a Meaningful Vote or ratify the deal.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Boris lied—on camera!—about lying about Turkey. He lied about the Arcuri business. He attempted to mislead the queen re. his reason for proroguing parliament. The man is an inveterate liar, and it's pathetic to see RB defending him so ardently.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

He didn't and the Supreme Court didn't rule he attempted to mislead the Queen so you are lying in saying that which is pathetic. The Supreme Court created a new law where none previously existed and voided the PM's decision because it violated their new principle and law, they specificially didn't get into as not relevant what the PM did or did not say to the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    1: It wasn't within his power, he did everything within his power.

2: Happily.

3: He voted to give authority to the PM as did almost all of Parliament. It was Theresa May that chose when to exercise that authority.

4: IANAE but I think the Brexit Secretary said some declarations would be needed, not checks.

5: I'm not against scrutiny.

6: Boris didn't sit on his hands, he negotiated and got a deal in a timely fashion. His opponents in Parliament with the Benn Act chose a deadline to get a deal by, he got the deal by that deadline but then Parliament decided not to vote on a Meaningful Vote or ratify the deal.
    1. This simply isn't true. There's plenty more he could have done. He -could- have started negotiating from day one. He could have left Parliament open to scrutinise the deal weeks and weeks ago. Additionally, even No 10 confirmed that there were ways round the Benn act that meant we didn't need to extend.

3. May brought a motion to initiate A50. Johnson voted in favour of that motion, despite pledging not too.

4. Argue semantics all you want, but the PM is either purposefully not explaining his deal transparently or he doesn't understand it. I'd wager both.

5. Good. Put the deal to parliament and follow the process then.

6. Yes he did. He didn't start negotiating proper until the last minute, giving no time for parliamentary scrutiny. I would have expected him to have known how he wanted to amend May's deal before he became PM, so the intense round of negotiations could and should have started in his first week. He did not get a deal in sufficient time to be passed through parliament, and that's his fault; not parliament's. And the deadline was chosen because that was the date Johnson promised we'd leave by - perfectly reasonable.

He didn't and the Supreme Court didn't rule he attempted to mislead the Queen so you are lying in saying that which is pathetic. The Supreme Court created a new law where none previously existed and voided the PM's decision because it violated their new principle and law, they specificially didn't get into as not relevant what the PM did or did not say to the Queen.
    They created that new law because the Government could provide no compelling/sensible reason, or evidence, as to why they prorogued parliament for so long.

Boris lied—on camera!—about lying about Turkey.

He lied about the Arcuri business.

He attempted to mislead the queen re. his reason for proroguing parliament. The courts saw no need to call him a liar explicitly (only implicitly), but we don't generally determine whether or not someone lied by dragging them before a judge; the vast majority of lies are never judged in a court of law. For example, Trump lies constantly—dozens of times a day. Is it your belief that, just because none of his thousands of lies have been deemed as such by a judge, that they are not lies?

He's also backtracked/broken promises/lied about the Islamophobia investigation he was hilariously cornered by in the Tory leadership debate. He sat in front of the nation and nodded along, and said yes to Javid's pledge for an independent inquiry in Islamophobia.

Now it's just a diluted "general investigation" which Johnson says it'll be independent.

Can we believe him?

No.

It takes some effort to overcome our innate dislike and distrust of habitual liars. That so many people all over the west have so thoroughly suppressed this healthy instinct... is a sign of major dysfunction at both the individual and societal level.

You guys stretch the definition of "lying" to mean "I don't like or agree with this person".

Try showing some actual lies.

Interesting scenarios: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...election-study

You guys stretch the definition of "lying" to mean "I don't like or agree with this person".

Try showing some actual lies.