Thread: Karma

Default Karma

https://nypost.com/2023/05/23/jordan...pickpocketing/

"An uncle of Jordan Neely — the homeless man choked to death on the subway this month — was arrested near the Port Authority Bus Terminal for allegedly stealing purses from restaurants, police sources said Tuesday.

Christopher Neely, 44, had acted as something of a representative for the grieving family in the aftermath of his 30-year-old nephew’s May 1 death, frequently speaking out about the lightning-rod case.

But Neely was also allegedly wanted for a pattern of grand larceny, including the handbag thefts, according to the sources.

A member of the NYPD’s pickpocket team spotted Neely, of Hamilton Heights, at about 11 p.m. Monday near the Manhattan bus station.

He allegedly took off when the officer approached him — and fought back when cops caught up to him after a brief chase, the sources said."

This shit is honestly downright funny. I bet Christopher is very upset it was a regular citizen who took down his menace of a nephew and not a police officer. No easy pay day for him.

How did a pro-lynching creep get someone to touch his dick?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

What's stranger is someone in the 21st century with such a strong belief in moral geography.
    Congratulations America

And such a strong "Christian" ascribing to religious Buddhist and Hindu concepts.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And such a strong "Christian" ascribing to religious Buddhist and Hindu concepts.
    Dude I also like the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause, many ideas that began as parts of other religion have been secularized and there's no issue with taking part. "Karma" as a secular concept exists in every day language in America.

Come on man evangelicals aren't Christians, it's just a loose network of weird little sex cults for men and women who can't maintain healthy relationships with people who haven't been extensively groomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Dude I also like the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause, many ideas that began as parts of other religion have been secularized and there's no issue with taking part. "Karma" as a secular concept exists in every day language in America.
    Except karma is a clearly theological concept that is inconsistent with the precepts of Christianity.

Except karma is a clearly theological concept that is inconsistent with the precepts of Christianity.
    Not entirely. It's got some overlap with predestination.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Not entirely. It's got some overlap with predestination.
    Predestination = you doing good actions is a reflection of you being saved. You don't have any actual control.
    Karma = you have free will and will get rewarded/punished based on the decisions you make.

Do we have free will?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I'm actually not a Calvinist so I do in fact believe in free will. Saying "Karma" is not believing there is an otherworldly force penalizing you for a prior bad, its just a modern thing people say. Christians also believe in life after death, some of them saying "YOLO" does not mean they disbelieve that doctrine.

The idea of karma is that you're going to get rewarded for doing good, rather than because you were "saved". That goes against the teachings of every major Protestant and Catholic sect and would be considered quite blasphemous by some. But hey, it's not like the strength of the Christian identity in the US is tied to devoutness or understanding of the Bible.

The idea of karma is that you're going to get rewarded for doing good, rather than because you were "saved". That goes against the teachings of every major Protestant and Catholic sect and would be considered quite blasphemous by some. But hey, it's not like the strength of the Christian identity in the US is tied to devoutness or understanding of the Bible.
    Dude you are just being stubborn now. When modern American people comment about Karma is your first instinct to think they are Buddhist? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Do we have free will?
    In the confines of this discussion I tend to say no. For both Karma and Predestination. Because both rest on the premise that good things happen to good people. Which rather lowers the appeal of being bad. It also makes every good deed selfish before anything else. Are we good at all when we are being good for selfish reasons?
    Congratulations America

Dude you are just being stubborn now. When modern American people comment about Karma is your first instinct to think they are Buddhist? Really?
    Have you met Low-key?

I am curious though, you seem to use as a positive signifier the word modern. Would you describe yourself as modern?

Isn't modern one of those words used by Joseph nigger-loving Biden? What right-minded American would call themselves modern, I wonder?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Are we talking about the Americans currently worried about Satanism, drag queens, and Target?

Yeah, but Lewk doesn't care about that half of karma. Remember who you're referring to. He likes karma because he's salivating over the punishment side of it. The universe itself seeing to it that you suffer if you're bad
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Yeah, but Lewk doesn't care about that half of karma. Remember who you're referring to. He likes karma because he's salivating over the punishment side of it. The universe itself seeing to it that you suffer if you're bad
    Unless the "wrong" people carried out the bad action or the "right" people were the recipients of it.

Grand jury voted to indict the subway lyncher:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1669091158348234753

Joins the ranks of Ham Sandwiches getting indicted

Joins the ranks of Ham Sandwiches getting indicted
    Oh hi there lynch-fapper didn't see you lurking in the shadows with your pants down

No way a jury convicts. You threaten to kill people in an enclosed space, you're a threat to their life. Especially when you already jumped bail after randomly punching an elderly woman in the face.

Sure—I understand that, in the primitive society that is the US, mentally ill black people can be murdered with impunity by white sociopaths. But the trial will nevertheless be important and interesting. Penny was not aware of the victim's background, and there was no immediate physical threat that justified choking a man to death. Whether or not a jury of confused savages votes to convict is less interesting than the facts and arguments.

You think someone aggressively telling you that they're going to kill you in a location from where you cannot escape does not constitute a threat to your life?

You think someone aggressively telling you that they're going to kill you in a location from where you cannot escape does not constitute a threat to your life?
    I've encountered mentally ill people who've shouted things like what Penny claims Neely said, and, no, I don't think a mentally ill man shouting generic threats should be murdered. Neely was unarmed, and had been—violently—neutralized, prior to being murdered. There was certainly a physically violent man on that train, from whom a victim was unable to escape—the murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I've encountered mentally ill people who've shouted things like what Penny claims Neely said, and, no, I don't think a mentally ill man shouting generic threats should be murdered. Neely was unarmed, and had been—violently—neutralized, prior to being murdered. There was certainly a physically violent man on that train, from whom a victim was unable to escape—the murderer.
    I think you overestimate a person's ability to use a targeted amount of force. The guy didn't use any weapon and aimed to incapacitate the threatening person. It's unfortunate but far from expected that the amount of force used would lead to death.

Also, you're a doctor. You receive specific training about how to deal with belligerent patients. Most people do not. And given the number of assaults on NYC trains, it wasn't unreasonable to assume that a person threatening violence was indeed about to use violence.

I think you overestimate a person's ability to use a targeted amount of force. The guy didn't use any weapon and aimed to incapacitate the threatening person. It's unfortunate but far from expected that the amount of force used would lead to death.

Also, you're a doctor. You receive specific training about how to deal with belligerent patients. Most people do not. And given the number of assaults on NYC trains, it wasn't unreasonable to assume that a person threatening violence was indeed about to use violence.
    ... the murderer is a marine who strangled a man for far longer than one might reasonably expect would kill the person being strangled.

My training isn't all that—it just excludes the careless use of deadly violence. I have on numerous occasions—in both professional and non-professional capacities and settings—encountered people exhibiting verbal or even physically aggressive behavior due to psychiatric illness, often requiring police or security guards to physically restrain them. But without killing or even severely harming them. Which is why my default position is that it is practically never necessary or justifiable to severely harm—let alone kill!—a person going through a psychiatric episode that involves verbal aggression. Penny's training means he should've been well aware he was unnecessarily killing an unarmed and obviously distressed man he'd already incapacitated for making verbal threats. He had little cause to engage Neely physically, but, more importantly, once he chose to engage, he had every opportunity to stop short of murder. At the very least, these arguments and the facts of the case should be evaluated by a judge and a jury.

Do you think Marines are taught how to knock someone out without harming them? That's not the skillset they're known for.

Do you think Marines are taught how to knock someone out without harming them? That's not the skillset they're known for.
    I think every recently active marine is trained in the technique Penny used on Neely, and I think that their training includes clear information on the technique's potential lethality if it's maintained for more than a few seconds after the incapacitated person passes out. I also think marines are trained to consider proportionality. As far as I can tell, many former marines have noted the same, on social media, in interviews, and in articles. We know from the video—as well as from witnesses—that the chokehold was maintained far, far beyond the point where Penny should have known there was a risk of killing Neely. Penny knowingly used lethal violence, on an unarmed and unwell person, in a situation that wasn't violent (prior to his own actions).

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I also think marines are trained to consider proportionality.
    What are you basing this on?