Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 198

Thread: The cover-up is always dumber than the crime

  1. #151

  2. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    My god, it's like speaking to a particularly difficult toddler.

    He said in the fucking thing you posted he wanted a favor done in exchange for the aid, which is exactly the same as it was in the bit of it I quoted. Posting the full thing doesn't suddenly make that part of it vanish.

    Lewk fully and completely believes that he is being oppressed and replaced. He is learning that the world no longer wishes to tolerate his fucked up views and it scares him. Its not fair that someone like him, who contributes so little to society, can't treat women and other races as beneath him.

    And its that misplaced feeling of the world not being "fair" that drives him. Its why he displays such a bloodlust when he spams his bullshit. Its why he has no problem spreading dog whistles, conspiracy theories, and linking to people who would get laughed out of an actual debate. Its why he has two different sets of rules for the GOP vs the democrats. All he is looking for is a way to cheat at the game to counteract how unfair he considers it. Its not about facts or humanity, its about his way of life vs progress.

    and thats why you're never going to get through to him.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-04-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  3. #153
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    He did it again on live TV.
    Why is everyone surprised? He did it in 2016.
    I'll lend you my essence for your rusted throne, and you could bring back the light to the last home of civilisation without which I'm gone
    So take this godsoul to bring forth a new dawn, I'll forgive the death you've earned, the cities you've burned, the lessons we've learned
    For all that remains, just sacrifice me. I'll hide away in a castle on the sea.

  4. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Why is everyone surprised? He did it in 2016.
    If it was bad he would be doing this in secret and keep it hidden. If he's doing it out int he open its pretty clear there isn't anything wrong with it.

  5. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    If it was bad he would be doing this in secret and keep it hidden. If he's doing it out int he open its pretty clear there isn't anything wrong with it.
    I can't even fathom the level of detachment from reality that would cause you to type out such a thing, look at it, think "nailed it" and then hit post.
    I'll lend you my essence for your rusted throne, and you could bring back the light to the last home of civilisation without which I'm gone
    So take this godsoul to bring forth a new dawn, I'll forgive the death you've earned, the cities you've burned, the lessons we've learned
    For all that remains, just sacrifice me. I'll hide away in a castle on the sea.

  6. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    If it was bad he would be doing this in secret and keep it hidden. If he's doing it out int he open its pretty clear there isn't anything wrong with it.

    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ny_voters.html

    Yeah, not sure he cares about illegal things done out in the open - why do you think that is?

  7. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    If it was bad he would be doing this in secret and keep it hidden. If he's doing it out int he open its pretty clear there isn't anything wrong with it.
    Everything about this statement is wrong as in incorrect.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  8. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    I can't even fathom the level of detachment from reality that would cause you to type out such a thing, look at it, think "nailed it" and then hit post.
    That sort of thinking is exactly why "the big lie" works as propaganda.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  9. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    If it was bad he would be doing this in secret and keep it hidden. If he's doing it out int he open its pretty clear there isn't anything wrong with it.
    Wow. You fell for Trump's propaganda big time, and just checked any critical thinking skills at the door.

    I suppose that's what it takes to keep supporting/defending Trump. I'd like to know how to crack that nut.

  10. #160
    Tangent: Facebook has lowered its standards for fact-checking political ads. It wasn't announced publicly so much as exposed:

    https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/03/...-ads/#comments
    https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...bles-fake-news

    Maybe cognitive dissonance and effective propaganda begins with social media?

  11. #161
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  12. #162
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  13. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Lewk fully and completely believes that he is being oppressed and replaced. He is learning that the world no longer wishes to tolerate his fucked up views and it scares him. Its not fair that someone like him, who contributes so little to society, can't treat women and other races as beneath him.

    And its that misplaced feeling of the world not being "fair" that drives him. Its why he displays such a bloodlust when he spams his bullshit. Its why he has no problem spreading dog whistles, conspiracy theories, and linking to people who would get laughed out of an actual debate. Its why he has two different sets of rules for the GOP vs the democrats. All he is looking for is a way to cheat at the game to counteract how unfair he considers it. Its not about facts or humanity, its about his way of life vs progress.

    and thats why you're never going to get through to him.
    I dismissed this post at first, because it was directed at just Lewk and sounded like a personal attack. But after reading it again, and taking out Lewk's name....you're actually describing Trump, and how he appealed to his base supporters: it's a Culture War. The white hetero male and Evangelical Christian mindset no longer dominates our society, or our laws. They're scared so they adopt a victimhood mentality. And who's to blame other than liberals?

    I wouldn't say it's "fairness" that drives this, but a warped sense of dominance. Everyone cheats and lies, only chumps pay their full tax bill, do-gooders are whimps, bullying is a form of leadership, and politics is nothing more than bribes and threats....so doubling down on those things isn't considered a corruption of values in the MAGA world.

    Only 30-35% of Americans actually believe that....but presidential elections are won by Electoral College votes. (See gerrymandering.) GogoUSA#1

  14. #164
    Gerrymandering has no effect on presidential elections/Electoral College. Unfortunately the number of Lewks plus the number of people who go along with the Lewks as long as their taxes are low is closer to 45%.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  15. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Gerrymandering has no effect on presidential elections/Electoral College.
    I disagree, but that's for another thread.

    Unfortunately the number of Lewks plus the number of people who go along with the Lewks as long as their taxes are low is closer to 45%.
    Not a majority, but still sad. "It's the economy, stupid" takes on a new meaning in the Trump era.

  16. #166
    I'm honestly waiting for Trump to re-use that tag line in the campaign.

  17. #167
    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...ominy-n2554198

    Anyone want to answer the question why Schiff doesn't want to release the full transcript?

  18. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I disagree, but that's for another thread.
    How do you disagree with a fact? Except for 2 electors in Maine and Nebraska, electors are apportioned on a statewide level. There is no gerrymandering on a statewide level. You're basically claiming that the Senate is gerrymandered.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  19. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    How do you disagree with a fact? Except for 2 electors in Maine and Nebraska, electors are apportioned on a statewide level. There is no gerrymandering on a statewide level. You're basically claiming that the Senate is gerrymandered.
    You'd have to look at whether or not gerrymandering depresses turnout, and whether or not that effect is general or disproportionately impacts some groups.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  20. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    You'd have to look at whether or not gerrymandering depresses turnout, and whether or not that effect is general or disproportionately impacts some groups.
    No one's going to stay at home for a presidential election just because they don't have a real option in the House one. Most people don't even know who their House rep is. At best, this decreases turnout in off-presidential years.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  21. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...ominy-n2554198

    Anyone want to answer the question why Schiff doesn't want to release the full transcript?
    Because if he does he's going to be breaking the agreement that was made with Volker, or releasing classified information or some other such thing that has nothing to do with helping Trump, and which the Republicans don't actually want to see released themselves, but which they can make misleading comments on to their little electorate's content because Schiff can't actually release it regardless.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    No one's going to stay at home for a presidential election just because they don't have a real option in the House one. Most people don't even know who their House rep is. At best, this decreases turnout in off-presidential years.
    Sure they will. Not many, it's going to be pretty negligible, but we're talking about something GGT said, after all.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  22. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Because if he does he's going to be breaking the agreement that was made with Volker, or releasing classified information or some other such thing that has nothing to do with helping Trump, and which the Republicans don't actually want to see released themselves, but which they can make misleading comments on to their little electorate's content because Schiff can't actually release it regardless.
    Schiff can release it. House Republicans have directly asked him to do this.

  23. #173
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  24. #174
    Dumbest criminals:

    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  25. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    How do you disagree with a fact?
    Seriously? To learn about that, I suggest you ask a Republican about Climate Change.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

  26. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    No one's going to stay at home for a presidential election just because they don't have a real option in the House one. Most people don't even know who their House rep is. At best, this decreases turnout in off-presidential years.
    Fair enough I presumed at first that gerrymandering might cause part of the electorate to become less engaged politically, and that this might contribute to lower turnout among these voters, but other voter suppression measures that can be found in the most gerrymandered regions are likely to be better explanations for lower turnout.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  27. #177
    Loki, "gerrymandering" uses political power to change voting districts, giving one political party more power than the other. Yet, it's those political parties that choose Electoral College electors. When we vote for POTUS we're actually voting for an Electoral College elector, a proxy that's been chosen by our state's political party machinery. I only meant that every political process can be distorted, manipulated or abused (and still fall within rules/laws or test the limits) like "gerrymandering" does.

    I was also lamenting what 30-35% of Americans (Trump's base) actually believe....and how that minority ended up with a majority of Electoral College votes (from the Republican Party)....that gave us President Trump.

  28. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Fair enough I presumed at first that gerrymandering might cause part of the electorate to become less engaged politically, and that this might contribute to lower turnout among these voters, but other voter suppression measures that can be found in the most gerrymandered regions are likely to be better explanations for lower turnout.
    For people to not vote because of gerrymandering, they'd actually have to care who their congressmen is. And the only people who do know that are the kind of people who have a high turnout.

    And yes, there are plenty of other policies or institutional rules that have a sizable impact on turnout. The main factor is requiring registration before voting. Having elections on non-holiday weekdays doesn't help. Neither does having a two-party system. Voter ID requirements have some impact, though I have seen contradictory data.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  29. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Loki, "gerrymandering" uses political power to change voting districts, giving one political party more power than the other.
    No, gerrymandering uses political power to create ridiculous and utterly nonsensical districts, and while increasing one party's power over another is one reason (and yes, one of the most common) it's not the only one. If a district was drawn to comply with current Civil and Voting Rights Acts jurisprudence rather than for partisan purposes but its boundaries made no rhyme or reason it would still be a gerrymander, and a district drawn to give one party more power over another but whose boundaries were nonetheless reasonable with its surroundings and geography it would not be a gerrymander. A gerrymander is about the results, not the intent.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  30. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    No, gerrymandering uses political power to create ridiculous and utterly nonsensical districts, and while increasing one party's power over another is one reason (and yes, one of the most common) it's not the only one. If a district was drawn to comply with current Civil and Voting Rights Acts jurisprudence rather than for partisan purposes but its boundaries made no rhyme or reason it would still be a gerrymander, and a district drawn to give one party more power over another but whose boundaries were nonetheless reasonable with its surroundings and geography it would not be a gerrymander. A gerrymander is about the results, not the intent.
    And the results can still be bad, regardless of intent. Never mind that gerrymandering still has judicial disputes in real time (political vs racial). Your massive run-on sentence is a grammatical achievement. Congrats on mastering legal-speak!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •