Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The cover-up is always dumber than the crime

Why don't we see his self-pardon in the list?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Obviously he's going to keep the important stuff secured and not just leave it lying about his office or storage room where anybody could just walk off with it.

I'm wondering how long they're going to give him to destroy evidence before they raid every other location he owns to look for the missing stuff or any copies he made.

48 classified folders missing ALL of their contents. Wonder how much he made off of that
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

What are the odds that everything that is in front of the president has that folder?

Just like every slide in corporate Amerika has "proprietary & confidential" on it.

Not dismissing that this is fuckery and why can't we be done with Trump. But this has whiffs of the left-wing establishment and the 'I'm a spy herp derp" establishment edging each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Not dismissing that this is fuckery
    You're "just asking questions"? Yeah, okay.

What are the odds that everything that is in front of the president has that folder?
    Probably zero given that classified docs made up only a small fraction of the docs he stole.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    You're "just asking questions"? Yeah, okay.
    Since when do you recycle MSNBCisms like that?

Just like every slide in corporate Amerika has "proprietary & confidential" on it.

Not dismissing that this is fuckery and why can't we be done with Trump. But this has whiffs of the left-wing establishment and the 'I'm a spy herp derp" establishment edging each other.
    If there's one thing the FBI is known for, it's being left-wing.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Dread, once again trying to start a career as a right wing grifter on a forum with like 8 active members.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Dread, once again trying to start a career as a right wing grifter on a forum with like 8 active members.
    Are you sure it's not Rand using Dread's account?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If there's one thing the FBI is known for, it's being left-wing.
    I very clearly described two separate establishment groups

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Who is the right winger you describe and from where/what are they grifting?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Are you sure it's not Rand using Dread's account?
    I've always contained multitudes.

Because someone taking and then lying about returning countless classified documents is a non-issue. If anyone but a former president did this, they'd already be in jail awaiting a trial that would get them sent to prison for life. Do you even hear yourself?

I think you are wrong Loki. There is a different set of rules for POTUS and former POTUS. Says so right here...

different-set-of-rules

What kind of background check would have found Trump qualified to hold the highest security clearance there is? His clearance was automatic upon election.

security-clearance-president-get/
    Last edited by Being; 09-04-2022 at 08:11 PM.

BS as usual. If he wanted to declassify them, he had to take an active step to do so. He did not. And needless to say, he's not president now, so he can't declassify anything.
    Last edited by Loki; 09-04-2022 at 11:28 PM.

It doesn't even matter - the documents would still belong to the government, not him, and he'd only legally have access to the copies that were made publicly available after declassification, just like everybody else. He's just a private citizen now, Biden is the POTUS, not Trump. The "I declassified them and just forgot to tell anyone" doesn't work because not only is it obviously complete bullshit, but it fails to address any of the crimes that were being investigated even if it were true. The national archives also wanted the other 11,000 pages of government documents back too.

We're starting to fall a bit behind in the list of excuses for treason being thrown against the wall. Today's dumbass defense is that stealing government documents, hiding them, lying to the FBI about them, and defying subpoenas, is all exactly the same as being overdue on a library book; that the real crime is allowing a criminal investigation of Trump's crimes.

Thing is, he took the documents while he was still POTUS. Unless he is caught handing them to foreign entities, or it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he had or has the intention to do so , I doubt he can be effectively prosecuted for anything. If you can't prove treason everything else is simply bureaucratic. And then there is his self-pardon. So even if you prove he is a traitor he can tie it up in court long enough to get reelected and then redefine treason. Only thing to do is get every liberal and moderate to vote for the same opposition candidate. I feel sick...it is astonishing how the highest office in the land is practically unchecked. We elect kings for a term. Yikes.

That excuse became irrelevant the second he was asked to return them, said he would, but then didn't.

Thing is, he took the documents while he was still POTUS.
    It doesn't matter. It's still illegal to remove them from the place where they're being held, to take documents of the office with him when he was leaving office, to hide them from the government, to obstruct their return, to lie in a sworn statement to the FBI, to attempt to intimidate witnesses, etc. etc. Being the President does not make him above the law, nor does it grant legal immunity in perpetuity. The crimes around these documents are just a drop in the bucket anyways, he's committed so many that compiling the full list would be infeasible.

His pocket pardon can be dealt with. My current guess is that Biden has a pocket counter-pardon he's waiting to pull out, which would work under the same legal theory that pocket pardons work, as long as he can prove it was written before Trump's pocket pardon was invoked. Or maybe they'll try to bait him into using it too early before he's been charged with all the crimes.

If Trump gets a whiff of a pending indictment he will immediately announce his candidacy and become virtually untouchable. I rarely give advice but the prudent thing to do is to expend ALL our energy convincing every liberal and moderate (and some republicans) to vote for the same opposition candidate.

If he gets reelected, well, it's all over. We will have a one party system.

If Trump gets a whiff of a pending indictment he will immediately announce his candidacy and become virtually untouchable.
    Only if Garland allows him to be. Garland already gave a statement saying he would not.

Don't you believe it would be more worthwhile to fix what got us in this mess rather than divert so much effort just to punish the one idiot that showed us where the problems are? Even if he is punished, the systemic problems still exist. I doubt Trump is one of a kind and the next one might be younger and more charismatic. Our two party system is like a wrestling match with POTUS as a biased referee. That needs to be changed.

And now a Trumpist judge slows down the process. We'll be dealing with these issues for decades to come.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62799425

Because someone taking and then lying about returning countless classified documents is a non-issue. If anyone but a former president did this, they'd already be in jail awaiting a trial that would get them sent to prison for life. Do you even hear yourself?
    Well, a former Secretary of State did a flavor of this. Frankly I think both should suffer consequences.

Don't you believe it would be more worthwhile to fix what got us in this mess rather than divert so much effort just to punish the one idiot that showed us where the problems are? Even if he is punished, the systemic problems still exist. I doubt Trump is one of a kind and the next one might be younger and more charismatic. Our two party system is like a wrestling match with POTUS as a biased referee. That needs to be changed.
    A lack of accountability is a large part of what got us into this mess, and we're not going to fix a goddamn thing as long as we have to deal with an endless stream of fascist dictator-wannabes who know that all they need to do to escape justice is to gather together a large enough mob. Trump's a moron who bumbled into nearly overthrowing the government, the next person who tries will be smarter and much more dangerous, and have the starting benefit of all the subverted systems they've been using Trump to put into place. If people don't start going to jail for all this corruption, they're just going to become emboldened and try for even greater depths of corruption.

Well, a former Secretary of State did a flavor of this. Frankly I think both should suffer consequences.
    No she didn't. And you're seriously resorting to "what about Hillary"?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    ... If people don't start going to jail for all this corruption, they're just going to become emboldened and try for even greater depths of corruption.
    I contend that cannot happen to any significant degree in our two party system. Time for plan B which should have been plan A all along. Change our political structure so as to minimize the ability of a single party being fully in control. The way it is now judges are allowed, encouraged actually, to lie in order to be confirmed to a lifetime position. Their lies hold no consequences. I believe that to be almost completely the fault of a two party system. Like I said, a wrestling match with a biased referee.

No she didn't. And you're seriously resorting to "what about Hillary"?
    You say "resorting" like I'm defending Trump. I'm saying this is highly evocative of the Hillary e-mail scandals, except it's actually being investigated as a crime. Even though there's arguably less intent...I mean we know Hillary set up her own e-mail server to avoid public scrutiny. It's not clear there's much of a rhyme or reason behind Trump hoarding some papers, but we'll find out.

Look at this hype over bullshit. The left and the media need Trump to hyperventilate over this kind of BS. We have bigger problems. The environment. The pandemic. Ukraine and energy policy. Housing affordability. Normal people are exhausted by fights over documents.

Normal? How very subjective of you.

You say "resorting" like I'm defending Trump. I'm saying this is highly evocative of the Hillary e-mail scandals, except it's actually being investigated as a crime.
    Is this a joke? Comey reopening that investigation in the heaviest part of the campaign (and not getting anything prosecutable to show for it, despite the best efforts of the Russian disruption campaign) may very well have been what threw the close election Trump's way. It was investigated, Dread. For longer than it should have been. You just didn't get the results you were hoping for from it.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"