Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The cover-up is always dumber than the crime

It's shameful that so many (R) are still riding the Trump Train as he crashes out of office, damaging democracy with his shit-show.

I want to know if anything can be done between now and Biden's inauguration, or if Trumpuppets just hope the clock runs out before people notice they're complicit in illegal election interference?

This recording, jfc... this jackass so fucking stupid, so pathetic, and so ridiculously unfit for any office—let alone the presidency. Listen to the unhinged rants, the interjections, the way he starts shouting louder and louder like a fucking toddler.

And Meadows, that moron:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Sooo....what's the remedy for a president who engages in election interference, in the last weeks of his presidency, when he's enabled by a sycophantic congress?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    [clown emoji]

To be fair, it arguably does affect national security, and there are traitors in that call. Which makes it a good thing he recorded it
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

The WSJ also posted a scathing op-ed saying Trump should resign....https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-...ys-11610062773

It's peppered with just enough criticism of Democrats to appease the GOP (and Rupert Murdoch's readers), but it also recognizes that Trump has committed Impeachable Offenses and should no longer hold office. Even a couple of weeks is too long to wait when a cancer is growing in the presidency.

I just wish they'd been more pro-active and clear-eyed in 2015, when they ignored all the symptoms of Trump's deluded fascism, but decided to go with him anyway, because he promised corporate tax cuts as a "Republican".

Looks like we found the coup playbook:

My Pillow Putsch
    Hope is the denial of reality

Republicans this week: it's not a crime if the cover-up is super dumb.

Absolutely astounded by the speed and enthusiasm with which Republicans have chosen to eat shit this week, after the FBI raid. They could've just waited a few hours and avoided the embarrassment.

We don't know what's behind the redacted parts but...it really seems to be all about the boxes? I'm not convinced that hoarder-in-chief even really knew what was in the boxes, but decided to make a fight over it on principle. And now we have to hear the left-wing version of "but her e-mails" for yet another politician who feels entitled to their own janky record keeping/hoarding.

As long as his self-pardon goes missing I'll be happy.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Even if the material is classified or highly classified, I'd give good odds that it probably shouldn't be. We all know (or should remember) how much DC loves to over-classify.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    We don't know what's behind the redacted parts but...it really seems to be all about the boxes? I'm not convinced that hoarder-in-chief even really knew what was in the boxes, but decided to make a fight over it on principle. And now we have to hear the left-wing version of "but her e-mails" for yet another politician who feels entitled to their own janky record keeping/hoarding.
    WASHINGTON — They risk imprisonment or death stealing the secrets of their own governments. Their identities are among the most closely protected information inside American intelligence and law enforcement agencies. Losing even one of them can set back American foreign intelligence operations for years.

Clandestine human sources are the lifeblood of any espionage service. This helps explain the grave concern within American agencies that information from undercover sources was included in some of the classified documents recently removed from Mar-a-Lago, the Florida home of former President Donald J. Trump — raising the prospect that the sources could be identified if the documents got into the wrong hands.

Mr. Trump has a long history of treating classified information with a sloppiness few other presidents have exhibited. And the former president’s cavalier treatment of the nation’s secrets was on display in the affidavit underlying the warrant for the Mar-a-Lago search. The affidavit, released in redacted form on Friday, described classified documents being found in multiple locations around the Florida residence, a private club where both members and their guests mingle with the former president and his coterie of aides.

Nothing in the documents released on Friday described the precise content of the classified documents or what risk their disclosure might carry for national security, but the court papers did outline the kinds of intelligence found in the secret material, including foreign surveillance collected under court orders, electronic eavesdropping on communications and information from human sources — spies.

Mr. Trump and his defenders have claimed he declassified the material he took to Mar-a-Lago. But documents retrieved from him in January included some marked “HCS,” for Human Intelligence Control System. Such documents have material that could possibly identify C.I.A. informants, meaning a general, sweeping declassification of them would have been, at best, misguided.

“HCS information is tightly controlled because disclosure could jeopardize the life of the human source,” said John B. Bellinger III, a former legal adviser to the National Security Council in the George W. Bush administration. “It would be reckless to declassify an HCS document without checking with the agency that collected the information to ensure that there would be no damage if the information were disclosed.”

C.I.A. espionage operations inside numerous hostile countries have been compromised in recent years when the governments of those countries have arrested, jailed and even killed the agency’s sources.

Last year, a top-secret memo sent to every C.I.A. station around the world warned about troubling numbers of informants being captured or killed, a stark reminder of how important human source networks are to the basic functions of the spy agency.

[...]

When F.B.I. agents in May went through the 15 boxes of material turned over to the National Archives by Mr. Trump in January, a year after he left office, they quickly determined that they contained 184 documents marked as classified, including some labeled HCS — an especially troublesome revelation in the eyes of intelligence experts.
    At the very least, they need to assess the possible extent of the damage.

Nice to see you carry water for the military industrial complex. As Fuzzy mentions, even parts of the bureaucracy thinks we're over-classifying things:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...roblem/599380/

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/defen...-the-cold-war/

Oh, well if some documents are more classified than they need to be, I guess it's alright to steal or destroy whatever government documents you want. Nevermind, case closed, nothing to see here!

Trump hopes the Special Master will recover his self-pardon...so he can put that ace back up his sleeve for when it is needed. If the Special Master cannot find it, Trump will claim it was stolen during the raid.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Oh, well if some documents are more classified than they need to be, I guess it's alright to steal or destroy whatever government documents you want. Nevermind, case closed, nothing to see here!
    I'm fine with whacking Trump with the letter of the law but if something shouldn't be classified in the first place, it does make prosecution for mishandling or leaking it less defensible (there is no actual threat created by the "leak") and more political.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Classification has literally no bearing on the crimes in the affidavit.

That didn’t happen.
    And if it did, it wasn’t that bad.
    And if it was, that’s not a big deal. <--- You are here
    And if it is, that’s not my fault.
    And if it was, I didn’t mean it.
    And if I did, you deserved it.

Pictured above, some of the documents retrieved that Trump through his lawyers swore under penalty of perjury did not exist. You'll note the TS//SCI documents, the highest sensitivity label, and if you zoom in you can see the markings for human intelligence (HCS) on the front-most document, which means at least one person's life was put in jeopardy over this.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I'm fine with whacking Trump with the letter of the law but if something shouldn't be classified in the first place, it does make prosecution for mishandling or leaking it less defensible (there is no actual threat created by the "leak") and more political.
    We might have different definitions of mishandling. Refusing to return and then hiding documents that were specifically requested by the FBI doesn't meet my definition of mishandling.

Did they seize Trump's framed picture of his Time cover?
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 09-01-2022 at 10:59 AM.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

One can hope.

What's the likelihood that no Russian or Chinese agent had access to them? 1%?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    What's the likelihood that no Russian or Chinese agent had access to them? 1%?
    Hasn’t the CIA lost a record number of informants/assets since Trump gained access to our secrets?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Tbf other countries' intelligence agencies have probably also developed/gained access to better tools and methods.

There've been multiple known breaches by foreign nationals, and who knows how many unknown breaches. It was not remotely secure, and any of the documents Trump illegally stole from the government can be assumed to be in enemy hands now.

Speaking of, there seems to be a problem with figuring out what exactly was stolen, because the inventory included 90 folders for sensitive documents without their contents.

FBI agents found 90 empty folders that had once held extremely sensitive documents among the 27 boxes removed from former president Donald Trump’s home during a court-authorised search on 8 August, according to an unsealed copy of a detailed inventory filed with a federal judge.

Full inventory: https://apps.npr.org/documents/docum...1?responsive=1

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Did they seize Trump's framed picture of his Time cover?
    Apparently, they did!