Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The cover-up is always dumber than the crime

Jfc.

"Trump ordered hold on military aid days before calling Ukrainian president, officials say"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...9a0_story.html
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Reportedly Pelosi has found a vertebrae or two and started talking up impeachment in private. Hopefully she'll stumble across the rest of her spine and we can get this show on the road soon. Next development expected on Thursday, the House's deadline for Trump to turn over the whistle-blower complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Reportedly Pelosi has found a vertebrae or two and started talking up impeachment in private. Hopefully she'll stumble across the rest of her spine and we can get this show on the road soon. Next development expected on Thursday, the House's deadline for Trump to turn over the whistle-blower complaint.
    You think Senate will convict? I don't.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    The Republicans didn't turn on Nixon, their second most corrupt president, until it was clear how guilty he was and they were going to look like assholes if the stuck with him. Impeachment hearings are how you get there.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

They must hold hearings and swiftly proceed towards impeachment regardless of whether or not they expect the senate to convict.

I have no idea. I know they'll say they won't convict, but once their feet are held to the fire, it won't take too many Republican defections to make it happen. Trump's had support from Republican congressmen so far, but I wouldn't call it enthusiastic support, so once this becomes a public spectacle the advantages of party solidarity might get Trumped by the advantages of not getting voted out of office.

I also agree with Aimless - whether the Senate will convict shouldn't be a concern when deciding to impeach.

I have no idea. I know they'll say they won't convict, but once their feet are held to the fire, it won't take too many Republican defections to make it happen. Trump's had support from Republican congressmen so far, but I wouldn't call it enthusiastic support, so once this becomes a public spectacle the advantages of party solidarity might get Trumped by the advantages of not getting voted out of office.

I also agree with Aimless - whether the Senate will convict shouldn't be a concern when deciding to impeach.
    It will take many. At least 20 out of 53. And there are as many as 4 Democrats who might vote the other way.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It will take many. At least 20 out of 53. And there are as many as 4 Democrats who might vote the other way.
    Yeah, my bad, I was thinking it was a simple majority, but there'll need to be a super majority which requires a lot more defections.

For comparison's sake, about a third of Republicans in the House Judiciary committee voted in favor of Nixon's articles of impeachment.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impe..._Richard_Nixon (see the Articles of Impeachment part)
    Hope is the denial of reality

This is going to be amusing

Your concern for the health of your democratic institutions and the safety of your republic is as strong as ever, I see.

You can't expect much from a bottom feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Your concern for the health of your democratic institutions and the safety of your republic is as strong as ever, I see.
    It isn't the Republicans who are jumping the gun. Trump had a number of cards he could play to bury the transcript but he's about to have it released. That doesn't seem like the actions of someone who has any worries about it. And if the Democrats try to pull "well its actually about obstruction against the investigation into Russia" they look really stupid because of the timing.

I'm wondering what changed on the political calculus here, it is possible they have something up their sleeve but I don't see it. It might be as simple as the squad managed to get enough support to take down Pelosi if she didn't move, or maybe something else. Either way it will be interesting.

WaPo with an unbelievable (actually quite believable) story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...e90_story.html

Background: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml...-parnas-fruman

WaPo with an unbelievable (actually quite believable) story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...e90_story.html

"But even within Trump’s party, few have gone so far as to say they would consider it appropriate for the president to solicit foreign help in an American election."

This is improper framing and reveals the clear bias of the hit piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Trump had a number of cards he could play to bury the transcript but he's about to have it released. That doesn't seem like the actions of someone who has any worries about it.
    This isn't about a transcript, but the whistleblower complaint. Taking an additional day to release a transcript just makes it look like a Barr summary 2.0. The Whitehouse has been caught several times editing information out of its official transcripts.

But considering your opinion of the Russia summary no one expects your dumbass to actually understand any of this.

Everyone else might like this thread:
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 09-25-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Would you mind quoting the WaPo text? I've used my three freebies.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Would you mind quoting the WaPo text? I've used my three freebies.
    Chrome 76 fixed the loophole that allowed websites to detect when users went incognito, so try opening it that way. Or open facebook and paste it into your status (post as "only me") and click on the link from your wall.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 09-25-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It isn't the Republicans who are jumping the gun. Trump had a number of cards he could play to bury the transcript but he's about to have it released. That doesn't seem like the actions of someone who has any worries about it.
    He tried to plead with Pelosi to sort it out: https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...eclined-2019-9

That doesn't sound like a person who isn't worried.

Referring to the memo that they're planning to release as a "transcript" is most likely incorrect: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...mp-transcript/

As such, whatever they're planning to release is most likely of zero interest and zero evidentiary value, except as a means of cover for his spin-doctors and most corrupt enablers in Congress.

What is of interest is the full whistleblower report, which Trump and his stooges have gone to great lengths to keep from Congress. Does that sound like someone who isn't worried? Now, more and more people are trying to throw one another under the bus (see eg. Giuliani & Pompeo). Does that sound like people who aren't worried? Witness testimonies will be of great interest, but note the Trump admin's longstanding practice of preventing witnesses from testifying before Congress - clearly the behavior of people who aren't worried.

"But even within Trump’s party, few have gone so far as to say they would consider it appropriate for the president to solicit foreign help in an American election."

This is improper framing and reveals the clear bias of the hit piece.
    It is perfectly appropriate framing, given the allegations, the conduct described, and what we know of Trump, Giuliani and Trump's enablers in Congress. Funny to see you getting all butthurt over the fact that it would be beyond the pale for an American president to pressure - by withholding already appropriated public funds as leverage! - a foreign govt. to undertake an investigation into the son of a potential political opponent in the hopes of harming said opponent in an upcoming election.

Not Verbatim transcript of Ukraine call released

The stuff that wasn't redacted was damning enough that you have to wonder what he did redact.
    Last edited by Wraith; 09-25-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Jfc.

Oh man...

Oh man...

Transcript released. No quid pro quo. Have fun in the house Dems, give this a month and we'll see Trump's approval numbers higher than they were last week. Care to take that bet Aimless?

Transcript released. No quid pro quo. Have fun in the house Dems, give this a month and we'll see Trump's approval numbers higher than they were last week. Care to take that bet Aimless?
    Not a transcript, classic example of quid pro quo as seen in bribery cases and mob trials, continued efforts to engage in impeachable conduct, still obstructing congressional committees' access to the whistleblower report. The request itself is impeachable. The attempts to hide it are aggravating factors. The approval of a contingent of derpheads who believe the earth is 6k years old and will end soon with a couple of million creepers flying to heaven without their pets is of no interest to me, but thank you for demonstrating once again your pathetic lack of principles.

Looks like lewk got the WH talking points at about the same time the Dems did.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-hou...170508969.html

Seriously, how incompetent are these fools?

Yeah, who'd be foolish enough to bet against a guy with predictive powers like these:

Impeachment isn't happening lol
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come