Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The cover-up is always dumber than the crime

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Worth clicking through to the article for the redacted versions of the e-mails. In them, Eastman implies that Clarence Thomas may have been more involved with the plot to overthrow the government than previously known, to nobody's surprise.
    I don't see how you can read it like that. The Justices handle emergency matters for certain regions. They thought pressing a case in Georgia would land them on Thomas' desk and that would be favorable to them. It's called judge shopping. Doesn't at all mean Thomas was "involved" in the manner you imply.

I'm with Dread. They were reasonably sure Thomas would side their way (all past and subsequent jurisprudence has been in line with that idea) and so Georgia was a good place for such a move if the opportunity arose. Arizona, where Kagan would be the assigned SCOTUS justice would be obviously less likely to go as they'd have liked.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I'm also considering context and previous reported conversations, and the fact that Ginny was heavily involved is already known. I know it's not certain yet, but given Thomas's behavior and previous mentions from other released documents and e-mails when discussing the full court, it's not really much of a stretch to imagine that somebody talked to him or Ginny at some point. It's easily enough to warrant further investigation.

What kind of investigation beyond what's already been done/being done? Because it doesn't meet any kind of "probable cause" threshold expanding intrusive investigation into Thomas himself.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Marriages of powerful people are so fucking weird.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    What kind of investigation beyond what's already been done/being done? Because it doesn't meet any kind of "probable cause" threshold expanding intrusive investigation into Thomas himself.
    What's the ethical standard for recusing due to (even the appearance of) a conflict of interest? Isn't that something the Chief Justice should care about for the "legitimacy" of the court? Or is it just another one of those unwritten norms like not prosecuting a sitting president?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    What's the ethical standard for recusing due to (even the appearance of) a conflict of interest? Isn't that something the Chief Justice should care about for the "legitimacy" of the court? Or is it just another one of those unwritten norms like not prosecuting a sitting president?
    The Chief Justice doesn't really have the power to discipline other justices. I think the most Roberts could do is to assign majority opinions to someone else.

I was asking Fuzzy. Pretty sure he knows more about SCOTUS process than anyone here.

As far as I know, he can put pressure on Thomas (including by not letting him write majority opinions when both are in the majority), but there's no actual mechanism to compel him.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    The ethical standard is they're expected to recuse themselves. They often don't (typically only doing so when they were involved in a case at a lower level before being elevated to the Court) these days and no one has the authority or power to make them. A failure to appropriate recuse oneself could technically be used as ground for impeachment, but fat chance getting anywhere with impeachment proceedings against a sitting SCOTUS judge in today's political climate.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    You're putting words in my mouth. I just want the question to get asked in the depositions.

Ok. . . I didn't see you actually present a question so do you mind telling me what the question you want asked is? And which people are being deposed with this question?

Context, man. The primary question to be answered is: how involved was Thomas and how much did he know ahead of time? But that probably won't be answered in one question, so you have to ask many, to many people, of varying levels of indirectness and with specifics depending on what's already known and how everybody else answered. And I want anyone asked who might know the answer and has already been or will be deposed in relation to the coup. This came up about Eastman specifically, but I believe he's already answered "fifth".
    Last edited by Wraith; 11-08-2022 at 10:03 PM.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/09/p...ion/index.html

“All sorts of stuff – pages long, look. Wait a minute, let’s see here. I just found, isn’t that amazing? This totally wins my case, you know. Except it is like, highly confidential. Secret. This is secret information. Look, look at this.”[...]

“As president, I could have declassified, but now I can’t,” Trump says, according to the transcript.
    I don't even care that the writers are all on strike because this shit is funnier than any script they could possibly come up with

I will never understand how anyone with a high school diploma can read literally anything Trump writes and not think the guy is a complete idiot.
    Last edited by Loki; 06-09-2023 at 03:18 PM.
    Hope is the denial of reality