Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The cover-up is always dumber than the crime

Give the writers a raise, they've been knocking it outta the park with every episode this season

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Someone's gotta be doing that deliberately.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Maybe Giuliani really wants to get caught.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Someone's gotta be doing that deliberately.
    Could be someone working against Trump but since is the Trump WH it could just as easily be one staffer trying to make another look bad.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Even Bolton knew this business was dodgy as fuck.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/u...testimony.html

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Even Bolton knew this business was dodgy as fuck.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/u...testimony.html
    Yeah. Sources tell me he's the whistle blower.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

He might be one of the whistleblowers, but it's also possible that the mustache is using him as a cover for its own nefarious purposes.

Poor Johnny, he just wants to use his position to start 4 or maybe 5 wars and Trump keeps messing up his ambitions up by being astronomically corrupt and incompetent.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Poor Johnny, he just wants to use his position to start 4 or maybe 5 wars and Trump keeps messing up his ambitions up by being astronomically corrupt and incompetent.
    That's why I'm hoping they cancel the show, the writers have completely lost the plot this season with this bullshit Severus Stache redemption arc.

Just criming crimes all day long

At least he got some ethnic cleansing as a consolation prize. And who knows, we might still get that war with a NATO ally if they keep shooting, shelling, and bombing our troops.

Jfc mulvaney should really find a better way to deal with criminal liability anxiety, like getting a good lawyer who can do the talking for him.

What ever happened to the "no quid pro quo" defense?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50087392
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    What ever happened to the "no quid pro quo" defense?
    First deny. Then distract. When caught red-handed claim it's not illegal or unethical. Then blame liberals or Democrats. That's their pattern.
    And it seems the Trump base (and lots of (R) legislators) not only fall for it....but also the "spin" that Trump is the victim of witch hunts, hoaxes and Fake News.

Dumbest crooks in the west

Spin this, you motherfuckers:

U.S. envoy says he was told release of Ukraine aid was contingent on public declaration to investigate Bidens, 2016 election

The senior U.S. diplomat in Ukraine said Tuesday he was told release of military aid was contingent on public declarations from Ukraine that it would investigate the Bidens and the 2016 election, contradicting President Trump’s denial that he used the money as leverage for political gain.

Acting ambassador William B. Taylor Jr. testified behind closed doors in the House impeachment probe of Trump that he stands by his characterization that it was “crazy” to make the assistance contingent on investigations he found troubling.

Upon arriving in Kyiv last spring he became alarmed by secondary diplomatic channels involving U.S. officials that he called “weird,” Taylor said, according to a copy of his lengthy opening statement obtained by The Washington Post.

Taylor walked lawmakers through a series of conversations he had with other U.S. diplomats who were trying to obtain what one called the “deliverable” of Ukrainian help investigating Trump’s political rivals.

Taylor said he spoke to Ambassador Gordon Sondland, the U.S. envoy to the European Union.

“During that phone call, Amb. Sondland told me that President Trump had told him that he wants President [Volodymyr] Zelensky to state publicly that Ukraine will investigate Burisma and alleged Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election,” Taylor said in the statement.

Former Vice President Joe Biden’s son Hunter had been a board member of Burisma, a large Ukrainian gas company. Joe Biden is a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate.

“Amb. Sondland also told me that he now recognized that he had made a mistake by earlier telling the Ukrainian officials to whom he spoke that a White House meeting with President Zelensky was dependent on a public announcement of investigations — in fact, Amb. Sondland said, ‘everything’ was dependent on such an announcement, including security assistance,’” Taylor told House investigators.

“He said that President Trump wanted President Zelensky ‘in a public box’ by making a public statement about ordering such investigations.’

Taylor was called to testify before committees considering whether to impeach Trump because he had raised alarms about Trump administration interactions with Zelensky.

“It was just the most damning testimony I’ve heard,” Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) said in an interview partway into Taylor’s testimony.

Taylor’s testimony had been expected to fill in some blanks about the activities of U.S. officials who appear to have sought Ukrainian help at the behest of Trump and his personal attorney, Rudolph W. Giuliani.

At issue is whether the White House conditioned military aid and a meeting between the two presidents on Zelensky’s cooperation.

“He drew a very specific direct line from President Trump to the withholding of foreign aid and the refusal of a meeting,” between Trump and the new Ukrainian leader, Wasserman Schultz said, “directly related to both insisting on Zelensky publicly say that he’ll have an investigation, that they will investigate.”

Taylor did not comment as he arrived on Capitol Hill for what was expected to be several hours of closed-door testimony.

An official working on the impeachment inquiry said Tuesday that Taylor is testifying under subpoena after the State Department attempted to block his appearance.

“The House Intelligence Committee issued a subpoena to compel his testimony this morning,” said the official, who requested anonymity to discuss the arrangements. “As is required of him, Ambassador Taylor is now complying with the subpoena and answering questions from both Democratic and Republican Members and staff.”

Taylor took the job on temporary assignment earlier this year after the sitting ambassador was removed, in what she told the committees was political retaliation by the Trump administration.

Taylor, a retired former ambassador to Ukraine and a foreign policy elder statesman, had exchanged text messages with two other diplomats in which he called it “crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign” and a “nightmare scenario.”

“It’s like if you have a 1,000 piece puzzle, which is what this is,” Wasserman Schultz said. “This filled in a ton of that puzzle.”

She and other Democratic lawmakers said Taylor’s morning testimony stood in contrast to the appearance last week of Sondland, a Trump donor and a key player in efforts to secure a statement from Zelensky committing to investigations.

“There were many things that Ambassador Sondland didn’t remember that Ambassador Taylor remembered in excruciating detail,” Wasserman Schultz said.

[...]

“The message to the Ukrainians (and Russians) we send with the decision on security assistance is key,” Taylor texted the next day. “With the hold, we have already shaken their faith in us. Thus my nightmare scenario.”

tfw you're a crook but also kind of a dumbass:

Trump didn't use the words "quid pro quo", so it's all fine. It wasn't a quid pro quo. It was just a favor or advantage granted or expected in return for something. No biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Trump didn't use the words "quid pro quo", so it's all fine. It wasn't a quid pro quo. It was just a favor or advantage granted or expected in return for something. No biggie.
    Shiiiit, you got me there bro

The secret hearings are weird. Not allowing Republicans the power to subpoena their own witnesses and get a more complete picture is also strange. When Republicans impeached Clinton the hearing were far more open and transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The secret hearings are weird. Not allowing Republicans the power to subpoena their own witnesses and get a more complete picture is also strange. When Republicans impeached Clinton the hearing were far more open and transparent.

Maybe Nunes should have been a bit more open when he was chairing the investigation into Russia's involvement in the election. You didn't find any of this remarkable when it was the Republicans keeping the work mostly behind closed doors and not giving the Democrats more freedom in that investigation.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Maybe Nunes should have been a bit more open when he was chairing the investigation into Russia's involvement in the election. You didn't find any of this remarkable when it was the Republicans keeping the work mostly behind closed doors and not giving the Democrats more freedom in that investigation.
    Nunes wasn't really in the media as much as say... the impeachment of Clinton or this circus the Democrats are doing currently. That said I see no reason for there not to be transparency in either investigation. And I recall Nunes releasing a memo that Democrats wanted to stay redacted? I'm really not caring enough to google it all up again but I recall they wanted more not less transparency.

Conservative politicians are actual fucking idiots:

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Benghaaaaaziiiiiii

They're following rules laid out by congress. They're not 'secret' but private, and limited to the Intelligence Community -- which includes about 47 Republicans who can ask questions, too. By rule only the majority party has subpoena rights (same as the Clinton hearings).

I've seen this phase of impeachment inquiry compared to grand jury testimony, which is also private with limitations. One reason is to keep future witnesses from comparing notes or 'coordinating' their stories. And with the number of corrupt Trumpistas that's a real possibility.

The "trial" part will be in the Senate, that's when it's open and transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Conservative politicians are actual fucking idiots:

I thought, hey, maybe these assclowns shouldn't go into a SCIF without preparation because every single one of their phones is likely compromised... but I didn't expect any of them to be so dumb as to actually make AND THEN UPLOAD a recording. What utter fucking morons.
    Trump-approved theatrics.

It's bizarre to 'protest' a rules-based process by breaking the rules. It's like they've forgotten Trey Gowdy is on tape justifying that Benghazi hearings were held in private. But the Dear Leader wants Republicans to be more aggressive and fight back like it's a reality TV show....stay tuned for episode 1,005!

Transcript released. No quid pro quo. Have fun in the house Dems, give this a month and we'll see Trump's approval numbers higher than they were last week. Care to take that bet Aimless?
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

Minx. Aimless. You goddamn fool. You absolute moron. You utter clownbag.

This was free money.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come