Thread: Rugby World Cup 2019

Default Rugby World Cup 2019

Starts in Tokyo today, 20th September.

I've been following the build-up closely, particularly Eddie Jones's England squad. I had residents' tickets and saw both of England's warm-up matches at Twickenham against Wales and against Ireland. England won convincingly in both, despite Wales being in-form and who took the World Number One ranking shortly after, and Ireland, who occupy the current world #1 ranking, and were beaten by a record margin.

Tables below:

Confident England can deliver this time, even though there is youth and experimentation to some degree in Jones's team, and put to bed some of their demons from 2015, particularly against their nemesis then and now; Wales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

France 23 - 21 Argentina

Audacious drop goal from the French with 8 minutes to go gave them the lead, then Argentina miss a long-range penalty in the dying seconds.

Wonderfully tense match.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

After a slightly shaky start against Tonga, England were utterly clinical against the USA winning 45 - 7.

USA saw the first red card of the Cup, with Quill delivering a dreadful shoulder-charge on Owen Farrell.

South Africa failed to deliver against NZ, losing 13 - 23, but only through a very brief five minute spell of errors. Kiwis still the favourites, but being less than their usually omnipotent selves.

First big upset of the tournament, hosts Japan beat the world number one team Ireland 19-12.

Superb performance from the Japanese team.

So not many rugby fans here then

Quarter finals kicking off tomorrow with an old classic; England v Australia. Should be a superb game as it usually is when these two adversaries come together. Think England may have the edge, with a greater cohesion at the moment and better current form.

Other quarter finals are looking just as juicy over this weekend.

Tournament favourites New Zealand vs world #1s Ireland

A strong South Africa vs tournament hosts and a brilliant, surprising and mercurial home side Japan

Wales vs an underperforming France in the most predictable of the four quarter finals. Wales should walk this one.

Yummy. Cant wait for this weekend to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    So not many rugby fans here then
    Well, not a fan, but at the urging of a south African fan I've watched a handful of games. The rules are pretty confusing though when you're not used to watching rugby..
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

The rules are highly complex, and also change a little bit year to year ...

I bought this to help

England ran riot 40 - 17 Aus

Superlative performance. Fantastic rugby.

The fantasy continues!

England have never beaten the All Blacks in a world cup. They did so in style today. What a performance. The twice-defending champions go out.

Farrel's 'yeah whatevs' expression on his face during the Haka.

~

Wales vs South Africa in the other semi final tomorrow, which will be fairly tight but SA should take it.

Which would set up an England vs SA final next weekend.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 10-26-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Here's the final.

England vs South Africa
    COME ON !

Money is on England. If they play with the same attitude and commitment they did when they beat the All Blacks in the semis they will win.

Come on England!

Split household allegiances in my house. My wife is South African.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Well I'm half South African half English

Supporting England certainly but it would be amazing for SA to take the cup.

Tough first half. SA so strong in the scrum.

I just congratulated a South African friend.
    Congratulations America

What a victory. SA powerhouse.

Watched the game in the pub with some south African friends. Second half SA seemed a lot stronger. The party afterwards was definitely good
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

At least we won the cricket . . .

South Africa completely dominated and fully deserved the victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.