Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Impeachment of President Trump

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Twitter is not the real world. It is a place where people start bitter fights. It is a place where posting inconvenient truths to a certain political side leads to a ban. I do not trust Twitter.

I never trusted second hand sources. Either I see it on video o I see what ALL side have to say, directly from the source. Critical thinking. Else, we become biased consumers of gossip fairy tales.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Do you not understand what a transcript of a witness testimony is? Just help me understand. Do you believe the transcript itself is a tweet?

Or do you not understand what a news report about a court ruling is? Do you believe the ruling is a tweet?

Mulvaney instructed by WH not to comply, asserting "absolute immunity":

When you're uniquely qualified for the job:

Another discussion regarding "absolute immunity" can be found in the Imperial Presidency thread.

Congressional Republicans are having a hard time defending the indefensible, so they focus on messaging and marketing, and hope no one realizes they're being scammed. Like those "Read the Transcript" t-shirts worn at rallies. Or demanding that testimonies be publicized but then refusing to read them. It's classic Trump deflection and projection.

Their thought-leaders are all so fucking dumb.

Trump ignored aides' advice to raise corruption in first Zelensky call, source says

White House national security advisers suggested President Donald Trump raise the broad issue of corruption in his first call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on April 21, but Trump chose not to, according to a person familiar with the matter.

One of Republicans’ central defenses in the impeachment inquiry has been that Trump cares deeply about corruption in Ukraine, which is why he asked Zelensky in July to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter's dealings with the country.

That the president did not adhere to his National Security Council’s advice to discuss corruption with Zelensky during their April call appears to undermine those claims.

Trump released a record of the April call on Friday morning, which also appeared at odds with a readout of the call released by the White House to reporters that said Trump had “expressed his commitment" to work with Zelensky to "strengthen democracy, increase prosperity, and root out corruption.”

According to the record, Trump congratulated Zelensky on his election victory but did not mention corruption.
    Trump cares so much about corruption, it's all he talks about

I've been largely offline the past 4 weeks. I've noticed that Trump is still in office. Somebody catch me up: impeachment when?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I've been largely offline the past 4 weeks. I've noticed that Trump is still in office. Somebody catch me up: impeachment when?
    Democrats want to try to milk this for as long as they can before the senate dumps it into the garbage. So may be awhile.

The testimonies (and leaks) over the past couple of weeks clearly lay out extremely disturbing conduct on Trump's part—and severely undermine his already dubious statements about just being concerned with corruption—but they also come so close to showing that Sondland lied to the committee that I can't imagine they won't want another crack at him. The evidence that has emerged about Trump being directly connected to Giuliani's mob-affiliated partners may also slow things down a little. Impeachment end of November or early December unless something extremely shocking turns up that has to be investigated further before Dems move.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/11/19...whistleblower/

"“We need to protect the whistle-blower. Please stop. I want to make sure that there is no effort to out the whistle-blower through these proceedings,” Schiff interjected. “If the witness has a good faith belief that this may reveal the identity of the whistle-blower, that is not the purpose that we’re here for. I want to advise the witness accordingly.”

Vindman testified under oath in a private deposition last month that he was unaware of who the whistleblower was. On Tuesday, Nunes pressed Vindman on how it is possible that he might out the whistleblower if he does not know the identity of the whistleblower."

Such a song and dance when the whistleblower has already been identified. /boggle

The identity of the whistleblower is irrelevant and it is pretty gross to see the lengths to which purported conservatives and libertarians are going to undermine one of the most important checks on govt. fuckery. It's also pretty pathetic to see the lengths to which these cretins are going to distract from the growing mountain of evidence of POTUS's corruption—so obvious that even his most deluded sycophants in Congress are finding themselves incapable of defending his actions on the merits. The wholly unjustified attacks on loyal and completely professional civil servants are just disgusting, and they further undermine important protections against govt corruption. Whether or not Vindman knows the whistleblower, it is clear that it is inappropriate and indeed fucked up for Nunes to try to determine the whistleblower's identity in this manner, in a public hearing; whether he succeeds or fails, the effect will be to deter future whistleblowers, to the detriment of the nation. Really sad that morons like you are applauding this, but, as we have established, you're a very stupid man.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...stimony-071708

Sondland told members of the House Intelligence Committee on Wednesday that he “later came to believe” that the military assistance — which had been frozen at Trump’s direction over the summer — would not be delivered to Ukraine unless the country publicly committed to pursuing Trump’s desired investigations. When asked if the “only logical conclusion” is that the military aid was part of the quid pro quo Sondland was describing, he responded: “Yup.”

Sondland emphasized that he never heard those words from Trump, but that after multiple conversations with the president about Ukraine, Trump’s intentions were clear to him. “It was abundantly clear to everyone that there was a link” between military aid and investigations, Sondland added.

Sondland also told lawmakers that he told Vice President Mike Pence on Sept. 1 that he was concerned that the delay in military assistance was tied to “the issue of investigations.” But Marc Short, Pence’s chief of staff, said such a conversation “never happened.”

He also indicated that the White House only recently confirmed that he did in fact speak with Trump on July 26, buttressing an account by former State Department official David Holmes who recalled Trump and Sondland spoke by phone while Sondland was at a restaurant in Kyiv.

Trump has publicly denied the existence of such a phone call. But Sondland detailed the conversation to lawmakers, saying he had “no reason to doubt” that “this conversation included the subject of investigations.”

Holmes told investigators that he overheard Trump loudly discussing the investigations he wanted Zelensky to launch, and Sondland confirmed that Zelensky had promised to deliver. After the call, Holmes said Sondland revealed that Trump didn't "give a shit" about Ukraine except as a vehicle to advance the Biden probe. Sondland says he has no reason to dispute that account though he can't recall some details.
    As expected, Sondland has begun to come clean. The added info is also interesting.

Giuliani claims he has "insurance" if Trump throws him under the bus. Relevant portion in embedded video is 9:56 if you want to skip to it. Giuliani sure is doing a good job of curing any sympathy I had for him.

There are few people in the Trump administration as loathsome as Giuliani.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Vindman testified under oath in a private deposition last month that he was unaware of who the whistleblower was. On Tuesday, Nunes pressed Vindman on how it is possible that he might out the whistleblower if he does not know the identity of the whistleblower."

Such a song and dance when the whistleblower has already been identified. /boggle
    There are federal laws that protect a whistleblower's identity. It's an important part of fighting corruption -- just ask Sen. Grassley (R) from Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Nunes is despicable. Second ethics investigation (in two years) can't come fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Nunes is despicable. Second ethics investigation (in two years) can't come fast enough.
    I guess you don't like raisins.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Trump, Pompeo, Giuliani, Nunes, Miller, Barr. The true Axis of Evil.

Trump, Pompeo, Giuliani, Nunes, Miller, Barr. The true Axis of Evil.
    Seems you are against governance. You should be arrested and deported back to Georgia. /jk

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Seems you are against governance. You should be arrested and deported back to Georgia. /jk

He's not from Georgia. You're a couple thousand kilometers off there, Being.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Lokishvili.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    He's not from Georgia. You're a couple thousand kilometers off there, Being.
    Close enough. He can walk the rest of the way.

Amusing now that this isn't resonating with the American viewing public that the left has talks of censure over impeachment.

If Trump wins in 2020 the one person the left should blame would be Pelosi. (Of course bonus points can still go to Jussie)

Majority support = "not resonating". Now's a good time to remind people that Nixon had even less support for his impeachment, right up until the week before his resignation.

If this is about Rep. Lawrence, she's already walked back her censure comments and reaffirmed support for impeachment.

Majority support = "not resonating". Now's a good time to remind people that Nixon had even less support for his impeachment, right up until the week before his resignation.

If this is about Rep. Lawrence, she's already walked back her censure comments and reaffirmed support for impeachment.
    She was instructed to walk it back but the fact that it was said in the first place tells you something.

Also analysis by Doug Schoen, editorial boards from Detroit News, Chicago Tribute. There's a reason the left is discussing it now.

America's Mayor is not part of the Trump administration

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    America's Mayor is not part of the Trump administration
    He just happens to run its foreign policy in Eastern Europe. A thought that was shared by every US ambassador in the region, including Trump toadies.