Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The Impeachment of President Trump

The irony of course is that every move Republicans made was done by Democrats first. Harry Reid was the first to use the nuclear option. Biden was the first to call for a delay in nominating someone to the court due to it being an election year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The irony of course is that every move Republicans made was done by Democrats first. Harry Reid was the first to use the nuclear option. Biden was the first to call for a delay in nominating someone to the court due to it being an election year.
    Who was nominated for a position on SCOTUS when Biden allegedly set this precedent?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Who was nominated for a position on SCOTUS when Biden allegedly set this precedent?
    He didn't set the precedent, he did however make the case.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-nominations/

"And if such a retirement came to pass, he said, President George H. W. Bush should “not name a nominee until after the November election is completed” and, if he did, “the Senate Judiciary Committee should seriously consider not scheduling confirmation hearings on the nomination until after the political campaign season is over.”

“Senate consideration of a nominee under these circumstances is not fair to the president, to the nominee, or to the Senate itself,” Biden said. “Where the nation should be treated to a consideration of constitutional philosophy, all it will get in such circumstances is partisan bickering and political posturing from both parties and from both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue."

Biden talked about a couple of months, just a part of one term, as a hypothetical along with a number of other reforms. The GOP acted for a full YEAR, covering two sessions of the Court with no intention or desire for general reform, just naked political advantage. They were, in fact, being pressured to hold up nominations for a full four years if Hillary had won.

Further, as Biden pointed out then, he DID allow nominations to go forward during an election cycle. There weren't any that year but he'd let them through in other election years.
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 05-12-2020 at 06:04 PM.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

He didn't set the precedent, he did however make the case.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-nominations/

"And if such a retirement came to pass, he said, President George H. W. Bush should “not name a nominee until after the November election is completed” and, if he did, “the Senate Judiciary Committee should seriously consider not scheduling confirmation hearings on the nomination until after the political campaign season is over.”

“Senate consideration of a nominee under these circumstances is not fair to the president, to the nominee, or to the Senate itself,” Biden said. “Where the nation should be treated to a consideration of constitutional philosophy, all it will get in such circumstances is partisan bickering and political posturing from both parties and from both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue."
    In other words, your claim was stupid. It was one senator, talking about a hypothetical scenario, with no debate.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Biden talked about a couple of months, just a part of one term, as a hypothetical along with a number of other reforms. The GOP acted for a full YEAR, covering two sessions of the Court with no intention or desire for general reform, just naked political advantage. They were, in fact, being pressured to hold up nominations for a full four years if Hillary had won.

Further, as Biden pointed out then, he DID allow nominations to go forward during an election cycle. There weren't any that year but he'd let them through in other election years.
    Fuzzy what was the essential difference between not having a hearing and voting it down?

Fuzzy what was the essential difference between not having a hearing and voting it down?
    Kennedy, the election-year nomination, was confirmed. And Clarence Thomas made it through too. That's 2 out of 3. Nominees DO get rejected. Sometimes when nominees are rejected they get renominated and confirmed. Neither Bork nor Thomas were able to actually pass the hearings of the Judicial Committee, in fact, but Biden reported them out to be voted on by the Senate as a whole anyway. Bork couldn't get confirmed because he knowingly undertook unconstitutional action to support obstruction of a President's illegal activities. While I personally feel one shouldn't blame Bork TOO much for that since Nixon was committed to the course of action and at some point you need to let it go through so someone who actually has the authority to stop him could step in, the position was understandable. Which is why it was not a straight party-line vote. 2 Democrats voted to confirm, and 6 Republicans voted to reject him. That's almost 20% of the Republicans in the Senate at the time, BTW.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

My point is that holding the hearing would change nothing except waste the senate's time. Obama's nominee was dead on arrival. Why have the political circus if the vote would not have changed?

My point is that holding the hearing would change nothing except waste the senate's time. Obama's nominee was dead on arrival. Why have the political circus if the vote would not have changed?
    To nominate someone else. To provide the qualifications acceptable for a nominee to that committee and to the Senate as a whole. To see if the Senate actually WOULD accept a nominee. They didn't hold allow hearings to be held at all because they were afraid there just might be enough defections for a majority to actually approve the nominee and if not that one then the next one.

Yeah, obsession with a conspiracy theory is as valid as obsession with borderline treason. Way to make the libs look bad.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Nobody that can help cares about this.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Like I said, nobody that can help end this cares. Might as well be posting about King Carl shenanigans. That's how much Americans care. How's he liking that new Bimmer BTW?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Being, nothing we discuss here has any impact on anything that happens in the real world.

What, is Michael Cohen good now? I'm so confused.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    What, is Michael Cohen good now? I'm so confused.
    Irrelevant to the question of whether or not the people trying to silence him are good/bad.

Yeah, but why would they try and silence him if he's bad? Last I remember, Michael Cohen was loyal to Trump.

*googles*

Oh, I see he is writing a book.

Honestly, these complicit little fuckers and their books

'Gonna do a load of crimes with the president then write book about it'

There's already like 5 books about how the president did crimes, what difference do they think another one is going to make?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Apparently, the book will allege that Donald Trump is, in fact, a racist.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Cohen rolled on Trump ages ago. Of all the henchmen to have fallen, he has been the most cooperative—and suffered the most, as a result.

Trump is basically saying to the world "if you turn on me I'll make sure you go to jail, if you don't I will pardon you".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Is it possible to impeach an entire party of clowns

This is almost comical:

Remember early February when Trump was being impeached and the Coronavirus was already infecting the world?

Maybe if the Senate had dealt with Trump properly instead of partisanly letting him off then maybe the coronavirus pandemic might have been treated more seriously.

Though Pence would have become President so even that doesn't seem likely.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Remember early February when Trump was being impeached and the Coronavirus was already infecting the world?
    Clearly that was the reason Trump has been incompetent before, during, and after the impeachment.
    Hope is the denial of reality

America's political institutions are endemically corrupt.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Some do. That's literally a Tweet by an account for conservatives that do.

There's nothing conservative about Trumpists, trying to redefine conservative as Trump is as BS as Lewk trying to redefine liberal as the most extreme loons on the other side.